• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it really hard to connect with fellow Asian Aspies?

Geordie

Geordie
I feel frustrated not being able to talk to fellow Asians about autism. I feel inept. But allow me to write how I feel.

I already tried many times harder than the typical people. Do I really have to put in many times more the effort to better 'support' fellow Asian Aspies, as an Asian Aspie myself?

From my experiences with the handful of Asians on this forum, particularly Mr_Alex, he told me that Asian Aspies are generally well supported, through equal opportunities and effective legislation. Hence, they may not need an Aspie forum for 'help'. This may be true in Philippines (great for them, even as they recover from Yolanda and all that), Hong Kong and Japan, but from what I know, this is not true throughout Asia.

Do I really have to put in many times more the effort to better 'support' fellow Asian Aspies, as an Asian Aspie myself?

From my experiences with the handful of Asians on this forum, particularly Mr_Alex, he told me that Asian Aspies are generally well supported, through equal opportunities and effective legislation. Hence, they may not need an Aspie forum for 'help'. This may be true in Philippines (great for them, even as they recover from Yolanda and all that), Hong Kong and Japan, but from what I know, this is not true throughout Asia.

Frustrating for us as well Geordie. I'm still a relative newcomer to discovering my own autism. However it's my perception that autism itself is not even clearly understood across the broad spectrum of society here in the United States. And so far media as a primary catalyst leaves the average person pondering that we could be anything from Sheldon Cooper to Adam Lanza.

In other words, I agree with Angie. Come over here...we need all the help we can get. ;)

I am half Okinawan, but largely American in culture. Even my asian relatives are not too traditional, having relocated to Hawaii and adopted the Islands' unique ways, as most who live here tend to. But you have my support, FWIW.

New Threads

Top Bottom