• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it possible?

smith2267

...that there are NT's on this forum who don't know the first thing about us? I am all for inclusion and education, of course, and I welcome them here. But I would think they would have picked up a book or something on the way to finding this site.
I know this forum isn't mine, but it's a nice little hideaway for me to talk to people who don't freak out if I break a social norm or two.

smith2267, are you finding something to be troubling about the site?

Hopefully an isolated incident will not keep you from us! If, by chance, I happen to be the source of the incident, please PM me so that I can apologize. I'm not trying to be self-absorbed, it's just that I often don't realize when I've said something that isn't appropriate (or said something in a way that can be misunderstood). Basic Aspie-ness, I guess.

If you have any issues with a user you can always discuss this with a moderator.

Surely, it doesn't warrant someone getting banned, but a mod looking into it is the least that can be done.

Other than that; So far I haven't really found anyone on this forum to be so painfully blunt and uneducated that action had to be taken. I don't want to differentiate between NT or Aspies here even, since I'm quite sure some people that are on the spectrum are equally unknowledgeable.

Besides; I also think there's some cultural and social thing with some people. I've run into people in my life that were rather rude, and sometimes outright offensive. I'm not saying that's all fine, but some people don't know any better. And perhaps I just took it the wrong way. Heck, if I even look at social services and healthcare across the ocean (the US) and talk to people that have to deal with that, it's a totally different set of rules than what part of Western Europe deals with in terms of services. Circumstances create attitudes as well.

I think you will find that there are NTs coming here to learn about a condition that they don't know anything about and suspect themselves or someone they know as having the condition.

That doesn't mean they leave their opinions at the door when they come. They will have a view of what aspies are and that might not fit within their little world. Some people would see asperger's as something negative and not see the truth.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they aren't entitled to treat you like crap because they feel like it. You don't have to agree with everyone's opinions but they are allowed to have them as long as they aren't just being A holes so they can have a giggle at being a troll.

I think you will find that there are NTs coming here to learn about a condition that they don't know anything about and suspect themselves or someone they know as having the condition.

That doesn't mean they leave their opinions at the door when they come. They will have a view of what aspies are and that might not fit within their little world. Some people would see asperger's as something negative and not see the truth.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they aren't entitled to treat you like crap because they feel like it. You don't have to agree with everyone's opinions but they are allowed to have them as long as they aren't just being A holes so they can have a giggle at being a troll.

No it wasn't that bad. It's just that here in aspieland, I am used to my condition not causing problems. You all think more or less like I do. Guess I got used to it.

No it wasn't that bad. It's just that here in aspieland, I am used to my condition not causing problems. You all think more or less like I do. Guess I got used to it.

Awww its ok Smith. We all get used to it being here but we have to remember like Dragontooth said that there are people who come here to learn about AS and may have somone in their life that has HFA and don't know much about what its really like other than a passing knowledge. Hugs. If there is an issue with someone just remind them gently that you have AS and that sometimes there might be conflict. Hugs.

Awww, Smith: I know what you're referring to. This person just seemed to be prudish & hypersensitive. Also, she doesn't know you the way the rest of us do or she never would have said that. I got roasted a little by some NT woman who came (presumably of her own free will...) here to an ASPIE forum asking for advice about her ASPIE boyfriend. She was like another NT woman (that other one was a pleasure to interact with) in the same predicament: the guy is wonderful BUT non romantic.

I kind of used myself as an example of a non-romantic Aspie married to a similarly non-romantic sort. She went on a rant about how 'disturbing' my views on romantic stuff were. Instead of backing & forthing it out with her, I decided to go read some cool members' blogs.

Some people are hypersensitive & expect everyone else to do a pas de deux around their multiple sensibilities. When it is someone here I know has a certain sensitivity as an Aspie trait, I try to respect that. When someone is just rude & controlling, trying to make others conform to their standards that are allegedly loftier than thine, I say whatever I think needs to be said & leave it at that. Please don't worry about what this person said: it just isn't worth the wasted mental energy.

I agree with you on the second paragraph King. I have been living with AS almost my whole life, and I thought I knew a lot about it based on personal experience; however, once I began doing my thesis on AS, I was really surprised about how much I didn't know. That's the beauty of learning: expanding your knowledge and connecting it with situations encountered in our own lives.

Smith, I also agree with your standpoint about how it's ok for NTs to be on the site, but that it's not acceptable for them to act completely ignorant of what's going on in our lives. I'm always willing to give someone a chance unless they come off as disrespectful and/or dishonest.

you say this forum as a safe place, a place to be yourself and not worry about being judged and someone has taken that from you with their short sited views. I think that's not too good. Especially from someone who has come to learn from us. But here they are the outsiders rather than the other way around so you can take some comfort in that your aspie friends are all going to group round you the best they can and give you their support :) something I know we are all not used to getting.

New Threads

Top Bottom