• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is anyone has flaming mad and irritated with all these blasted adverts online?

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
With my obsession on trying to watch Anne of Avonlea online, I have had to restart my lappy twice now, back to an earlier time, but this time around, adds galore; usually fairly easy to get rid of them, but not this time around, for when I go into systems, I cannot find it to uninstall and thus, stuck and I guess, have no choice but go back to an earlier time again!

I am guessing they are viruses or something, but whoa they make me so mad!!! Cannot cope with the flashing lights etc!

Hello Suzanne,

when you mean online, are the ads showing on up the websites you are looking at?? if you have Firfox, go to add-ons and look for and install "adblock plus" and check mark the "subscriptions" so it will block out the advertisements on most websites,

also in firefox (or other browser) put a checkmark in BLOCK POP-UPS, as some sites are known to load advertizing content in new tabs or new windows,

if these ads are not apearing during browsing, they can be ad or spyware, there are many free programs that can help get rid of those, mcaffe security scan plus, spybot search and distroy, ad-ware SE, CCleaner, AVG antivirus,

hope this helps,

-Jess

Thanks door doctor. Solved at last, by reverting back to an earlier time.

Did all you suggested before but nothing there.

Advertising? It's the same everywhere...just like piped telly. Pays the pounds though.

Adblock Plus, No-Adware, and a good anti-virus keeps my system pretty human-friendly. The only ad company I don't black is Project Wonderful. I still want to punch the TVs at Walmart though and whoever decided to put them at ear level.

I don't mind advertising if it's barely noticeable on a webpage, but the pop ups and YouTube video advertisements that seem to scream "LOOK AT DAMN IT ! LOOK AT ME AND NOTICE ME! NOTICE ME AS I SHOVE THIS IN YOUR FACE!!!! is what infuriates me the most :/ I'd recommend Ghostery as well with Ad Blocker to prevent companies ad servers from tracking you and displaying annoying adverts and WOT for user rated website reviews and warnings.

. I still want to punch the TVs at Walmart though and whoever decided to put them at ear level.

Do you mean those video ads that are unnecessarily loud as to grab your complete attention as well as secretly getting paid by companies that produce and manufacture hearing aids by trying to bust your ear drums so that they could sell them to you in the near future? Ad Blocker is a Godsend for blocking those advertisements :D

Yes, which is why I have AdBlock. I especially hate the video ads that autoplay and the narrator or characters yell in my face and don't stop. Sometimes I leave sites before I otherwise would because the ads are so obnoxious and I either can't mute them or can't find where they're coming from. It's very overstimulating.
Unfortunately I have to sit through ads to watch anime on Hulu - I can't get past them if I block them. I can usually anticipate and mute them, but I HATE when the show gets cut off all of a sudden when I'm really deep into it (even while a character is still talking!) and I'm so unprepared that I don't have enough time to reach for the mouse and mute it before the obnoxious ad people start gabbing away. They should always, ALWAYS make the content fade out before ads to give fair warning instead of just making the screen suddenly go black. If you're going to have ads, at least be nice about it.

Yes, which is why I have AdBlock. I especially hate the video ads that autoplay and the narrator or characters yell in my face and don't stop. Sometimes I leave sites before I otherwise would because the ads are so obnoxious and I either can't mute them or can't find where they're coming from. It's very overstimulating.
Unfortunately I have to sit through ads to watch anime on Hulu - I can't get past them if I block them. I can usually anticipate and mute them, but I HATE when the show gets cut off all of a sudden when I'm really deep into it (even while a character is still talking!) and I'm so unprepared that I don't have enough time to reach for the mouse and mute it before the obnoxious ad people start gabbing away. They should always, ALWAYS make the content fade out before ads to give fair warning instead of just making the screen suddenly go black. If you're going to have ads, at least be nice about it.

Do you watch cartoons and etc on sites that are found with Google ? I know that one site actually opens a tab up or twoin your browser and starts playing an advertisement right away :/ I hate when sites do that and wish I could figure out how to configure one of my extensions to block sites from opening tabs in my browser. I hate that as well when you have two or more different videos playing in the background and you can't find the sources right away :/ That's unbelievably annoying as hell.

Do you watch cartoons and etc on sites that are found with Google ? I know that one site actually opens a tab up or twoin your browser and starts playing an advertisement right away :/ I hate when sites do that and wish I could figure out how to configure one of my extensions to block sites from opening tabs in my browser. I hate that as well when you have two or more different videos playing in the background and you can't find the sources right away :/ That's unbelievably annoying as hell.

No, I usually go straight to the sites I use - YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc. I hate clicking through to sites to watch videos.

Ads mainly annoy me when I go to click that skip ad button on youtube, and find it's not there. :p
So I have like 30 seconds of rubbish to sit through.

Thanks so much for all your answers.

Solved now, thankfully.

It had to have been due to a virus. Usually, I can uninstal and it is fine, despite having not installed in the first place!! But this time, no go and thus, set back to an earlier time, which yeah worked

Yes, adverts drive me crazy. I hate having things shoved agressively in my face - that's what if feels like. I think that if I were looking for a product online and I went onto a site where the product was being sold, and there were adverts related to that product, then I wouldn't mind because I was actually looking for information on the product. But to have some random product advertised shoved in my face and trying to grab my attention makes me really mad. As Umbrellabeach says, it's overstimulating, and I also hate commercials on TV interrupting my enjoyment of the programme - they are really loud to you, speak in silly singsong or loud hysterical voices, very, very overstimulating. Many TV ads speak to as if you were 6 years old with animated characters and I'm sure that this is no coincidence, as a young child is more likely to pay attention and associate a brand name with a product. Adults change channel and don't listen. My hand goes straight to the mute button - in fact, I rarely watch TV these days, and the dumb adverts is one major reason for this.

Yes, adverts drive me crazy. I hate having things shoved agressively in my face - that's what if feels like. I think that if I were looking for a product online and I went onto a site where the product was being sold, and there were adverts related to that product, then I wouldn't mind because I was actually looking for information on the product. But to have some random product advertised shoved in my face and trying to grab my attention makes me really mad. As Umbrellabeach says, it's overstimulating, and I also hate commercials on TV interrupting my enjoyment of the programme - they are really loud to you, speak in silly singsong or loud hysterical voices, very, very overstimulating. Many TV ads speak to as if you were 6 years old with animated characters and I'm sure that this is no coincidence, as a young child is more likely to pay attention and associate a brand name with a product. Adults change channel and don't listen. My hand goes straight to the mute button - in fact, I rarely watch TV these days, and the dumb adverts is one major reason for this.

Same. I usually watch one hour or less of TV per day, and it's usually to watch The 90s Are All That on TeenNick. I always mute the commercials and go to the Guide so I don't even have to see them. Sometimes I take surveys and they ask me I've seen advertising for this or that lately. I always answer No because I avoid as many ads as I can.

For me? It really depends, to be honest.

If it's a site I like, that I visit frequently, I don't really mind ads. You gotta pay the bills somehow, and running a website, especially one that gets a lot of traffic, ain't cheap. Loyalty keeps me from installing any sort of ad blocker in my browsers.

That said...if the ads are particularly pernicious, and they keep finding ways around my popup blocker, then I don't visit that website at all. Usually those sorts of sites are rubbish to begin with, so there's not much of a problem there.

Podcasts? I can skip forward 30 seconds or a minute. As far as television? The magic of DVR. :)

I don't mind advertising if it's barely noticeable on a webpage, but the pop ups and YouTube video advertisements that seem to scream "LOOK AT DAMN IT ! LOOK AT ME AND NOTICE ME! NOTICE ME AS I SHOVE THIS IN YOUR FACE!!!! is what infuriates me the most :/ I'd recommend Ghostery as well with Ad Blocker to prevent companies ad servers from tracking you and displaying annoying adverts and WOT for user rated website reviews and warnings.

Do you mean those video ads that are unnecessarily loud as to grab your complete attention as well as secretly getting paid by companies that produce and manufacture hearing aids by trying to bust your ear drums so that they could sell them to you in the near future? Ad Blocker is a Godsend for blocking those advertisements :D
Ohhhh, no. I mean the little physical TVs now embedded on the ends of aisles right at face level, as if Walmart is purposely trying to keep the autistics from entering the store. If only I could carry Adblock Plus around with me!

Advertisements drive me crazy (crazier), but as wyverary said, that's how they pay their bills. So I put up with most of them. The ads that bother me the most are on TV. We have cable and pay dearly for it, but we still have to put up with ad after ad. For the last few years we have had TiVo and it is great. Now we do not watch anything that isn't pre-recorded. We pick out what we want to watch a week or two ahead of time and set them to record. We can watch them and pause them at our convenience. Best of all I can fast-forward through all of the ads.

Newspaper websites like the Daily Mail really bug me due to the number of adverts they have on their page slowing everything down. It's worse if you're trying to read an article on your phone.

New Threads

Top Bottom