• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Irony and sarcasm

Sarcasm's cool, Irony too. But sometime's its hard to tell the former. Especially on the internet where you can't tell tones oof

I have always understood both although sometimes I take a bit seriously and then my friends tell me they were being sarcastic! My mom is also, as my friends call her, the Queen of Sarcasm, so I've grown up with it! Once my BI made a sarcastic joke and I responded sarcastically back and she was amazed that I understood her!

Yes, I understand and use it, more through practice. Irony and sarcasm is the cornerstone for British humour.

Perhaps strangely, I can detect and understand sarcasm on paper, and when it is used toward other people in common speak, but not when it is directed at myself.

For example, if someone says something sarcastic in response to a point I made, the sarcasm will go over my head.

As for irony, I likely have a very well formed command of this in most any situation.

When I was younger, I didn't understand sarcasm. But now I can pick up on sarcasm most of the time, and can use it, though I do occasionally miss it.

New Threads

Top Bottom