1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction post

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mush, May 2, 2020.

1. Mush

Mush Hiker

Name: Mush
    Hyper focused on: hiking, cycling, kayaking, outdoor gadgets including but not limited to: flashlights, clothing, tools, drink bottles, nutrition and maps
    Diagnosed January 2020: ASD

Posting this because it’s polite to post in the new member section of a forum when you first join.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wolfgangus Faldestolius

Wolfgangus Faldestolius Little notes from an armchair

I love maps! Especially when I'm sitting still! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Hi there, Mush, quite the outdoors guy it seems. What's that pointy mountain in your pic?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Giraffes

Giraffes Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Hi Much and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mush

Mush Hiker

The pointy mountain is actually two mountains with a smaller in front of the larger.

They are Mt. Coonowrin and Mt. Beerwah as viewed from Mt. Ngungun in Queensland, Australia.

They are a short drive from where I live. I have been climbing them since I was a child (except Mt. Coonowrin as you can’t climb it because of unstable rock faces).

It is good now as I take my own children climbing there on weekends throughout the year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mush

Mush Hiker

My wife has bought me several world atlases over the years because I will spend hours just looking through them at different places, distances and geographic features.

Google maps/earth is probably my most used app. I can spend an hour or more each night just looking at different things. I especially love to locate canyons and sharp geological features in the earths surface. Measuraing distances and whatnot.

May wife finds it amusing and tells people that I can pretty much drive anywhere without needing a map as I’ve spent so much time looking at them I know which roads go where.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alexej

Alexej Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Hi there @Mush

Welcome to the Forums.
    I note the politeness in your post, which is appreciated.

However, politeness is frequently found in here, but with one exception.
    You have to bring your own biscuits. We have coffee and chat.

Enjoy the humour of the place and get to know us a bit

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Hi and welcome. They keep saying there's coffee but I haven't found it yet... however, this is a friendly place and I hope you enjoy it here. I am fascinated by maps too, also diagrams graphs etc. You have put your interest to good use, and sounds like you have a great and compatible partner too.

:herb::bee::seedling::beetle::palmtree::leafwind::deciduous::cat:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mush

Mush Hiker

I’m not too fond of coffee anyway, so that works well if it’s not readily available. I take my own hot chocolate when I go out because most people don’t have it, or they have bad hot chocolate. It’s gotta be Swiss Miss.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Nitro

Nitro Admin/Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

Hi Mush

welcome to af.png

11. disconnected

disconnected Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Hi Mush! I spend all or most of my free time outdoors! I have the knack of studying the area maps and quickly learning from maps!

Welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

upload_2020-5-3_8-42-13.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. clg114

clg114 Still crazy, after all these years. Staff Member V.I.P Member

Welcome to Autism Forums!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mush

Mush Hiker

What type of riding do you do? I used to race MTB back in the late 90’s early 2000’s until I started having kids. I wasn’t very good because I am not super coordinated and I can only pedal at a slow cadence no matter how hard I try. Never knew it was an aspie thing.

Best I ever got to was 14th overall class B state title. I was happy just to be involved. Now most of my riding is either on bike paths or fire trails, as single tracks around here have gone from beautiful flowing single track to virtual obstacle courses.

Today’s kids will never know the thrill of whizzing past trees at 45kph on a perfectly curved corner. Now they’re full of logs and jumps and other hazards designed to make it more... ‘fun’?

There is a really good rail trail about an hour and a bit drive from here that’s more my style now. Another decade and I’ll probably have an e-bike