• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction - New Here

AnonFunc

Hello all,

Late diagnosed (Aspergers Syndrome/ASD Level 1), middle aged male here.

Laid off recently from a position with a large well known corporation after corporate restructuring and am going through the gauntlet that is job searching and interviews.

Been through the process 4 times for positions that I really liked, did fine on code challenges and bombed in personality/culture interviews. I even tried disclosing ASD beforehand once and they looked at me like I just grew a proboscis.

Things have changed in the software development field. It seems that it's not enough to be good at building extensible, performant, maintainable, software. Collaborative development, pair programming, open bay bullpens if you're still unlucky enough to work on-prem and personality type that I apparently do not have.

Most recently, I interviewed with a promising start up. CTO loved me and I was all, but promised the position. Interviewed again with CTO and CEO yesterday. Found out later in the day that they decided to "move on" with other candidates.

Sorry to introduce myself under these circumstances. Just venting. Good to be here.

welcome to af.png

Hello :)

My husband retired as a software developer. He got burnt out on being second guessed and undermined by non technical managers who then wanted him to save their jobs when their approach screwed up a job. I just wanted to offer you some comiseration. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome. I don't know what the social environment is now for most modern technical and software industries. I know that in the 90's, it was quite a trend to specifically hire folks on the spectrum for these positions,...California's Silicon Valley a good example.

Sounds like you've got the experience,...which can be a blessing and a curse. At my age, 54, even though I am at the top of my game,...if I were to be let go, I would have a difficult time being hired,...and it may not be because of my autism. New hires that come in with 20-30 years of experience,...they also are looking to be hired at a pay rate comparable to where they were at the other job. Unfortunately, the accountants tend to direct hires towards newer, inexperience folks they can "mold" and pay at a lower rate.

As an autistic,...the social interaction part can be difficult.

As an autistic with experience,...in your field,...I might consider being your own boss. Create an LLC, any equipment, supplies, whatever can be a tax write off. I would talk to a business accountant to learn how to navigate all of that, but you can work from home. Slap on a magnetic sign on the door of your vehicle that advertises your business,...make the vehicle part of the LLC,...tax write off. Wealthy people don't own things,...they have things,...they enjoy things,...but they don't own them.;)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes the software development field has changed quite a bit. It seems to me that creative designs are being discouraged. The profession has gone more in a linear direction. Ignoring innovative concepts in favor of standard practices.

John

Welcome! Unfortunately affinity bias can often knock neurodiverse candidates out of the running in interviews and selection processes.

Welcome to the forums.
Job interviews can be difficult in the social department of the work area.
Glad you are here and have people to talk with of like awareness.
Think it will be helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom