• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interviewing

esestud

Hello everybody, I am a newbie to this forum. I am a 32 y/o professional aspie with extensive experience working in molecular biology laboratories, and I was laid off back in September after a company-wide downsizing. I have been interviewing for several positions, but have not received one offer yet, so I am seeking advice on one issue to discuss with the interviewer. Is it appropriate to bring to his/her attention about my having Asperger syndrome, and if so, what is the best way to state it? A friend of mine suggested this, and the reason why is because the interviewer may perceive my awkwardness as negative or offensive in some way, but being upfront about it may help. I have several years of experience in this field and have been employed at 3 different positions in the past, so I know that I am not completely incapable of getting a job. But if my capability is significantly more limited than others, it may be an issue that needs to be confronted. If anybody has recommendations on how to approach this, please inform me.

You are not alone in your issue. I myself am a fresh graduate doing accounting in college. I had been unemployed for about a month since my unofficial graduation last month. However, I am involved in disability advocacy groups in my free time, so here are my views. Just my 2 cents.

I was told, be upfront with your conditions, no matter what they are. You may indeed add value to your firm. Your future firm reaps by hiring you, especially if you are a registered Autie in your local autism society. Also, you are really truly honest with your being, because your diagnosis does not define you, but your attitude in life - even with what you have that you think may affect you, like Asperger's/autism - does shape your life's outcomes.

However, to be specific to your case, if you have a good reputable degree classification or great grades from college, you can disclose your conditions and use them to apply for special considerations in top schools. It is a different thing if you manage to be the most able person you may be, like getting a relevant reputable degree from a great college.

Also, some of us may feel that 'autism' may limit our potentials, 'aren't auties are not supposed to do sales or networking, so it is better to try to forget it?' Auties can definitely do sales and gun for the highest sales figures, so long as we have suitable accommodations that are reasonable to what the firms can provide reasonably :)

As for interviews, I learnt quickly firms are not there to screen out candidates. They are choosing the best available candidates for their jobs. So... be your best :)

Hello everybody, I am a newbie to this forum. I am a 32 y/o professional aspie with extensive experience working in molecular biology laboratories, and I was laid off back in September after a company-wide downsizing. I have been interviewing for several positions, but have not received one offer yet, so I am seeking advice on one issue to discuss with the interviewer. Is it appropriate to bring to his/her attention about my having Asperger syndrome, and if so, what is the best way to state it? A friend of mine suggested this, and the reason why is because the interviewer may perceive my awkwardness as negative or offensive in some way, but being upfront about it may help. I have several years of experience in this field and have been employed at 3 different positions in the past, so I know that I am not completely incapable of getting a job. But if my capability is significantly more limited than others, it may be an issue that needs to be confronted. If anybody has recommendations on how to approach this, please inform me.
Interviews are difficult for most people, I think. This is a difficult time to find work, too (I know; I was looking for nearly two years myself). One thing that Aspies have going for them in an interview is that we know what we can do, and usually are able to say so without hesitation. In my opinion, it is a positive trait to be able to confidently state what you can "bring to the table." If they have asked you in for an interview, they are already interested in you. So that's a plus right from the beginning.

I don't think it is appropriate to bring up the fact that you're an Aspie in an interview. For one thing, it is beside the point. I have read more than once that an organization most wants to hear how you can make or save them money, or somehow improve what they do.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell ahead of time what sort of assumptions anyone may have about autism, and it might work against you. That would be a shame. In terms of your behavior, consider that the interviewer is probably a bit nervous, too. If you can make an effort to make them feel comfortable with you, both of you will feel better. Focus on the ways that you would be an asset to the organization, and on how much you enjoy working. Find things in your interviewer that you like, personality traits or ways that she/he express themselves, at least one thing you can relate to. Hopefully your interviewer will pick up on this and perceive you as a bit of a kindred spirit. People are most attracted to others that are like themselves. Sometimes we Aspies are so focused on how we feel or experience something that we don't or aren't able to make things easier for the people we are trying to interact with (my 2 cents, anyway).

I have a tendency to go off topic, and hope that I haven't strayed too far from your original post in my response.

I haven't read thru all the messages. BUT YOU NEED TO TALK TO PROFESSIONALS ABOUT THIS!!!!!!! I suggest at the very least
you join amateur job seeking groups. I did this professionally-get people jobs. Since I've been out of it for awhile I again direct you to the latest technolgy-groups of people who have the latest update. Good luck!!!!

-10 years of Job Seeker seminars, Director of Placement, Job Counselor, Job Developer, Internship Director etc.

PS: my gut feeling is unless you are seeking special privileges [Official recognition of a disability-hey I might be wrong as I'm not an expert in disabilities per work] the standard refrain is not to admit any disabilities. Again my info might be dated so I suggest you contact the leading edge job seeking groups via your library. Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom