• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology

I just noticed Winetricks is a little bit broken now, it keeps throwing up checksum errors for a lot of files. I had to install some things like fonts manually, easy enough though.
Not sure if you use this app or not. Forgive me if I'm "preaching to the choir" or not. ;)

I use the "font manager" to install all fonts. In fact I find this particular application so versatile, I don't use any other utility when it comes to fonts. The same one I use when I want certain fonts not to show in word processing apps like Abiword or LibreOffice Write.

With Pop!OS22.04 I was pretty successful in deleting so many useless and unnecessary fonts from my drive. But in Mint 21.3 this process is a bit more precarious, and I am reticent to be so aggressive about purging so many fonts that are just a waste of hard drive space. I learned the hard way not to mess with so many postscript fonts embedded into various Linux distros, as they impact applications like Photoshop 5.5.

Though it still irks me to see long lists of fonts in word processors that I will never use. So the "font manager" comes in mighty handy at times to "filter their presence out" (uncheck the font name) without deleting them. Just be sure to reboot or the font you want to hide may still appear. It's one Linux app that I really depend on.

One of the few apps I use outside of my native repository:

sudo apt-get install font-manager

Picture of the actual app. Note the unchecked boxes of fonts that will not show:

Linux Font Manager.jpg

Last edited:
I am reticent to be so aggressive about purging so many fonts that are just a waste of hard drive space.
This is the part I don't understand. Not wanting the clutter when you're looking for different fonts to use in a project, yes, that makes sense to me, but this doesn't. Not in this day and age. Fonts aren't large files, they don't take up any space by today's standards. They're not active files either, it doesn't require any more computing power to have lots of fonts.

To tell you the truth I don't like any of the fonts today, I'd much prefer to see letters as I was taught to write them when I was a kid. One of my pet hates is the lowercase letter A with a hook over the top, but good luck trying to find a plain font without that these days.

I hate it when people use fonts so fancy that they're illegible too. It kind of defeats their purpose.

This is the part I don't understand. Not wanting the clutter when you're looking for different fonts to use in a project, yes, that makes sense to me, but this doesn't. Not in this day and age. Fonts aren't large files, they don't take up any space by today's standards. They're not active files either, it doesn't require any more computing power to have lots of fonts.

To tell you the truth I don't like any of the fonts today, I'd much prefer to see letters as I was taught to write them when I was a kid. One of my pet hates is the lowercase letter A with a hook over the top, but good luck trying to find a plain font without that these days.

I hate it when people use fonts so fancy that they're illegible too. It kind of defeats their purpose.

It's kind of a long story. I did a certain amount of commercial print advertising which could involve a fair number of decorative typefaces. No doubt many that you would scoff at. But I was doing work largely according to spec. Where my opinion of such typefaces had to yield to my customer (usually a friend, relative or acquaintance).

However that was also back in a time when TrueType fonts spilling into an .ini file Windows had to parse could- and did take up a fair amount of resources starting at bootup. At a time when a hefty hard drive could be in the hundreds of megabytes. (LOL) I also recall those early days when fonts cost a small fortune. More than most folks were willing to pay.

And as a former web designer of the late 20th century, I had to always be very conscientious about bandwidth issues, and system resources in general. I still recall a co-worker get fired because he used .jpg files too often with the least amount of file compression. They wanted .gifs, and that's what they got from me. Sure times have changed, but this sort of thing was ingrained into my professional pscyhe. Probably related to my OCD as well.

At least at the moment right now, I only have some 16 typefaces showing in two word processors in Linux Mint 21.3, having simply unchecked or deleted those I will never use.

Though agreed, today even 246 fonts that comes with Pop!OS22.04 doesn't impact performance at all. However if one doesn't uncheck them in a utility like the "Font Manager", they're likely to get annoyed having to scroll through hundreds of useless fonts just to find what they are looking for. That annoys the hell out of me personally so I spent some time to unchecking most of them. Admittedly using the file manager to delete them took much more time. Repetitive crap kind of like having to open every .PSD file you have in Gimp 2.10 just to cache thumbnail files.

In essence, most of my gripes about fonts are based on past considerations- not present ones. But in my mind such things continue to linger. - "Old habits that die hard". So sue me....lol. ;)

Last edited:
At a time when a hefty hard drive could be in the hundreds of megabytes. (LOL) I also recall those early days when fonts cost a small fortune. More than most folks were willing to pay.
I was a printer in the 90s, Mac ruled the print industry back then because the documents they sent to other computers all had the font files included in them, that's a big part of the reason why there were never any formatting issues when you opened up someone else's files on your computer, which in turn was a big part of why Mac ruled the print industry.

This was before the days of Photoshop, the popular program for print design was Quark. So clients would send their artwork to the printer, and when the printer opened their files all of their fonts would get installed on the printer's computer. Naturally the printers all loved this, free fonts.

There was a crackdown on the use of pirated fonts back then too, inspectors started coming in to print shops and demanding access to their computers. The place where I worked had thousands of fonts, my boss didn't get fined but the inspector bloke sat there and watched while he deleted them all. It didn't bother us though, as soon as clients sent us more files we started getting them all back again. :)

I was a printer in the 90s, Mac ruled the print industry back then because the documents they sent to other computers all had the font files included in them, that's a big part of the reason why there were never any formatting issues when you opened up someone else's files on your computer, which in turn was a big part of why Mac ruled the print industry.

This was before the days of Photoshop, the popular program for print design was Quark. So clients would send their artwork to the printer, and when the printer opened their files all of their fonts would get installed on the printer's computer. Naturally the printers all loved this, free fonts.

There was a crackdown on the use of pirated fonts back then too, inspectors started coming in to print shops and demanding access to their computers. The place where I worked had thousands of fonts, my boss didn't get fined but the inspector bloke sat there and watched while he deleted them all. It didn't bother us though, as soon as clients sent us more files we started getting them all back again. :)

Back then I was using Aldus Pagemaker and Corel Draw. Even before I got my hands on Photoshop 4.0. But I was just doing minor print work for people. Not industry-level stuff. Yeah, Quark Express rose to the top pretty quick back in those days. But yeah....industry-standards still resonated through Macintosh and no one else.

Still weird to look back when fonts weren't easy to come by. Though with Corel Draw 3, it came with a very nice set of proprietary fonts alongside the ability to use TrueType fonts. Everything seemed so different back then...

Back then I was using Aldus Pagemaker and Corel Draw. Even before I got my hands on Photoshop 4.0. But I was just doing minor print work for people. Not industry-level stuff.
I ended up working for print shops that worked exclusively for the big graphic design houses, if someone poked their head through the front door looking to get 500 business cards we couldn't help them.

Working for design houses meant we didn't have to have our own darkroom, a lot of our artwork was supplied as print ready negatives and for any design work we did we'd get one of those design houses to print negatives for us.

That was the biggest change to the industry since the invention of photography, being able to just send a file to a computer and receive a print ready negative. The big old full format cameras used to be very expensive and it took considerable skill to be able to produce good quality negatives, now all it takes is the first couple of months of a TAFE course and a Mac computer.

Very interesting - and seems like a good analogy with the other thread asking why new HW is needed.

The new HW does not do the old stuff better, but it enables more people to do the old stuff with less skill.

The new HW does not do the old stuff better, but it enables more people to do the old stuff with less skill.
The print industry itself these days is more of a niche market but before computers there used to be print shops on just about every corner. The use of computers for artwork did make a lot of lives easier but it complicated a lot of things too.

In the early days most graphic designers started their careers working in a print shop and they learnt the limitations of the print process itself and even the limitations of the different papers they wanted their work printed on. People forget that it's only paper and that if you try to put too much ink on it in one go it's going to get soggy and change shape.

It appeared that in TAFE colleges none of the teachers had learned any of these concepts either and all of a sudden the industry was flooded with young wannabe artists producing unworkable art. That was another reason to only work for the big design houses, they understood the industry from all sides. One of the design houses in Melbourne used to send each of their new recruits to spend a couple of days with me to get a better idea of our limitations.

That is cool.

I've always looked at cereal boxes and was like "how do they get so much color on paper?" Because even a regular sharpie will deform the paper if you use too much ink. It makes sense that it is a very involved science.

New Threads

Top Bottom