• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inability to understand or communicate with the concrete world

risootser

This has been quite a problem of mine. It is like let's pick a random object and I might just think its meaning in utilization for example. Suddenly I have produced a new proverb-y saying and people can not understand it necessarily. I have been good in sciences but I had an ability to drive my biology teacher nuts by using verbs in metaphorical ways without noticing it.

People either think that I'm a genius or totally stupid. Then there are also those that say most people are too concrete your use of language and they might translate my words to others.

For example something what people use frequently
A door: an opening or a closing between layered spaces

I'm too much of this.

I don’t think you're too much. You have any more examples? Sometimes I call the what ever I’m walking on a floor even if it’s dirt or concrete or wood.

Yeah. I really have hard time to come up examples because I live it. It is the others that catch my odd thinking. Well, many people have said that the topics I talk about make them feel pressured because the lack of concretia is there. Abstract thinking is something that lacks details and just condenses stuff to a very firm pile. I'm always at this business and it makes my life nihilistic.

OK physics was something I learned via math not the other way around like many.

Yeah, it gets on my nerves to have people react that way because I dont speak "normal". I tend to talk kinda elaborately and my thinking is abstract (and perhaps a bit twisted) to begin with. And then have to backpedal and simplify. I often have to drop down and translate my words into cave speak (far more often IRL than online, as I can curate what I say online before posting).

Though, in my case, I'm usually not very nice about it (as the term "cave speak" likely suggests). It can go like this:

*really loud noise happens*

Me: *in sarcastic, dramatic voice* "Argh, suffering intensifies... my ears, struck by sonic waves with the force of a collapsing star! Surely ruptured!" *waves a fist*

Other person: "What?"

Me: "Ugh... THING GO BOOM!!! EARS, BIG OUCH!!!"

Yeah, I never said I was NICE, did I? Though it's not the best example, usually I come up with this stuff as it happens. As you said, coming up with examples is not easy. But it is at least approximate.

Mostly the elaborate speech comes from reading far too many books. That I inject nearly everything I say with large amounts of liquid sarcasm probably doesnt help, yet I continue to do so anyway. And it's not like I'm a master of communication to begin with.

One of my colleagues recently told me I almost exclusively communicate in the form of bloomers. I never noticed of course, but to some people that must certainly make me look stupid.

This has been quite a problem of mine. It is like let's pick a random object and I might just think its meaning in utilization for example. Suddenly I have produced a new proverb-y saying and people can not understand it necessarily. I have been good in sciences but I had an ability to drive my biology teacher nuts by using verbs in metaphorical ways without noticing it.

People either think that I'm a genius or totally stupid. Then there are also those that say most people are too concrete your use of language and they might translate my words to others.

For example something what people use frequently
A door: an opening or a closing between layered spaces

I'm too much of this.

I LOVE IT!!! We need to start a post to practice this. This is great. A good idea: A thought that comes to mind and pleases the thinker. Like that? BOOM!

May I ask, what is a ' bloomer'?

One of my colleagues recently told me I almost exclusively communicate in the form of bloomers. I never noticed of course, but to some people that must certainly make me look stupid.

Most people employ pragmatic speech - the sword and shield, the manipulative tool of language, they're not terribly creative with it, nor are they interesting conversationalists, but they sure know how to attack and defend, how to extract useful info in order to maintain or improve their social /financial position - sadly my pragmatic speech is poor, it's da autism.

I'll tall metaphors when I'm with people I know get it. Which aren't too many irl. But most of the time I seem to have a rather different problem with how I talk. I like to summarise ideas, so I'll often do the whole thought process, and then only say the conclusion. Which doesn't work too well in conversations with more ordinary people, since they don't get enough context. Though it's a very good thing when needing to say a lot in a very short time.

I even once wrote an exam paper with so few words that the professor thought I might have failed when he saw it. But got a B because my few and short sentences explained all the analyses and matrices, just in a very condensed way. If only I'd just been a little bit better at writing lengthy explanations back then, I could have gotten an A. I'm a lot better at explaining things now, but I think that's probably because I've been teaching for a few years.

@unperson
These are bloomers:
bloomers_2.jpg

I have met few who had commented that I'm very abstract almost immediately. Then there are very concrete people I have met who have not understood me at all. I was playing with an absurd idea and moron stamp on my forehead immediately. It can go other way as well: ""Oh my God you are so clever. [...] 5 minutes later[...] Do you problems thinking abstractly?" Feels like they hear something interesting but can not completely grasp the roots of it.

May I ask, what is a ' bloomer'?

While I do think bloomer underwear should make a comeback, I mean it as in stylistic lapse - phrasing that is unintentionally funny because it uses unorthodox or ambiguous grammar or clumsily connects parts of speech. Usually happens to children

Mm interesting, I haven't heard it used in that sense here, so...cousin to the blooper perhaps?

And yes, loose underwear has its merits. We'll probably all get forum adverting on the subject soonish.

Mm interesting, I haven't heard it used in that sense here, so...cousin to the blooper perhaps?

And yes, loose underwear has its merits. We'll probably all get forum adverting on the subject soonish.

When my colleague used it I didn't know the word either, so it must be hella rare in that sense.

New Threads

Top Bottom