• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In what ways do you, specifically, differ from the stereotypical perceptions of autism?

I don't care about routine. Show me a better way of doing something and I will switch to that way and not mourn the loss of old way in the slightest.

I care deeply for others and am always worried about not hurting people and being fair. Morality is one of my obsessions.

I am profoundly creative and have an excellent imagination. I can visualize crystal clear.

I don't care about dates. Not interested when something happened. Only in what it says about the reality we live in. I fill my head with ideas, not numbers.

I used to be a fussy eater (nothing slimy) but got over that quite young.

I didn't used to get humour but I taught myself the rules of humour when trying to figure out how to speak to people as a teenager. I failed at smalltalk but succeeded with being funny

I too am a female ( boys supposedly can only be autistic or on the spectrum).

Do not have a montoned voice.

Not a bland facial expression.

Not good at all with math.

Not a genus in any form.

Labels only occasionally feel uncomfortable, but mostly not.

Not fixated on one type of foods.

Do care what others think of me and along side that, do not like to offend.

Have varied coloured clothes.

Although hate washing, do keep myself clean and do not forget.

Do take care of my home.

I have the opposite of a monotone voice it has many different tones and apprently I pull many faces.

I also care far too much about what people think even though I try not to.

I’m a female.

I’m very girly even for a girl.

I am horrible at math and would get sick from anxiety if I knew there was a maths test at school.

I’m very empathetic and hate seeing others in distress.

I am more creative than logical, though my husband says that I can be too logical at times and compared me to a Vulcan which I don’t know where he gets that from.

I am not a super picky eater and only have two things I really hate eating.

I can be affectionate but only with a select few and generally I don’t like people hugging me except if it is my husband.

I am definitely no savant.

I am not asexual.

I don't have a problem with food texture.
I can read people and determine the nature of their reaction to what I just said. (20 years of practice, but I can!)
So I know when I say or do something they don't like.
I love fiction.
My voice is not monotone (though it sometimes is out of place).
I like touching certain people.
I have various interests. (Too many.)
I can usually detect sarcasm, except if the overall meta-communication of the person doesn't say sarcasm.
I'm not organized at all. Moreover, too symmetric things make me nervous. Just like infinite things, like fractals.
I don't have a solid routine. (But if I plan something, any interference comes with a price.)
I have a vivid body language.
I have many skills, but I worked hard for most of them.
I'm pretty good with my (written) words.
I like loud music.
I can adapt to other people if I depend on them in some way.

Apparently I'm "charming" (I was told this by like, five different people in my life which always sort of surprised me) sometimes
Stellar working memory
Identify as nonbinary (but am automatically assumed female)
Don't adhere to strict routines
Pretty good at reading social cues, but only if I'm fully mentally present in the situation
I get sarcasm most of the time
I'm usually OK with disorganization and disorder. Unless I'm distressed about something in which case I can get obsessed about something being disordered and I'll drop/ignore everything else to fix it up...

I don't mind different foods touching each other (within reason).

The 'within reason' made me laugh. But, I think I know what you're saying.

I actually did like separate foods when I was a kid. And didn't like many cooked foods. As an adult I thought I wasn't like that at all but then I realised I often eat my foods in an order. Usually the parts of the food I'm not looking forward to as much first...then I work my way up to the prize, whatever it may be. It seems like a more adult version of separating the foods on my plate :p

The 'within reason' made me laugh. But, I think I know what you're saying.

I actually did like separate foods when I was a kid. And didn't like many cooked foods. As an adult I thought I wasn't like that at all but then I realised I often eat my foods in an order. Usually the parts of the food I'm not looking forward to as much first...then I work my way up to the prize, whatever it may be. It seems like a more adult version of separating the foods on my plate :p
Yes, I wouldn't want to eat ice cream topped with ketchup, for example :)

I do this, too, I leave the best to last :)

• I'm female
  • I am not very intelligent or extremely talented at certain things
  • I do have interests, but not 'special interests'
  • I don't particularly have a problem with loud noise
  • I don't take things literally and can detect sarcasm
  • I don't speak with a monotone voice
  • I haven't got a very good memory at all
  • I'm not a fussy eater (used to be though!)

I'm terrible at math and have never been able to remember numbers or formulae well at all.

I'm not good with technology.

I'm female, but I couldn't "mask" or pass as NT even if my life depended on it, and anyone who has a clue what autism really is and tries to interact with me for five minutes can probably tell that I have it.

I have no particular talent or skill of any kind.

I have an extreme amount of empathy, to the extent that I will literally feel what someone else is feeling sometimes - I just don't know how to show it.

I can read tone of voice - just don't always know how to react to it.

I usually know when it's best to keep my mouth shut, and do so.

I am not brutally honest - I can and will tell a "white lie" to make someone feel better.

I'm reasonably good at understanding sarcasm, metaphors, and figures of speech, and use them myself.

I'm terrible at math and have never been able to remember numbers or formulae well at all.

I'm not good with technology.

I'm female, but I couldn't "mask" or pass as NT even if my life depended on it, and anyone who has a clue what autism really is and tries to interact with me for five minutes can probably tell that I have it.

I have no particular talent or skill of any kind.

I have an extreme amount of empathy, to the extent that I will literally feel what someone else is feeling sometimes - I just don't know how to show it.

I can read tone of voice - just don't always know how to react to it.

I usually know when it's best to keep my mouth shut, and do so.

I am not brutally honest - I can and will tell a "white lie" to make someone feel better.

I'm reasonably good at understanding sarcasm, metaphors, and figures of speech, and use them myself.

Im like that to. Most of what you wrote is me.

New Threads

Top Bottom