• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Impulsive Wandering in a Friend's House

Gamma V

Resident ROM Hacker
The Thursday before last (12-14-17), I went with my parents to a bluegrass jam at a friend's house. When I got there, I impulsively just headed into the bedroom of their adult daughter, who is a friend of mine. I was not invited to wander freely in their house and simply assumed that it was alright to go visit with my friend and hang out with her in her room.

Her father, however, did not feel comfortable with a legally-blind and "mildly" autistic woman wandering around his house since he had guns. After being confronted about this by my mother, I felt that I needed to perhaps never again accompany them to any social outings.

In addition, I was reminded of the "I Am Autism" commercial put out by Autism Speaks. Two of the threats "Autism" made involved making social outings difficult and breaking up marriages. My actions have caused tension between my otherwise happily-married parents. I was also reminded of videos of a young autistic boy having to wear a harness with a leash and one person in an online debate regarding the euthanasia of autistics saying that people on the spectrum aren't truly human and are more akin to pets.

The reason I bring up the euthanasia debate is because, ever since having to watch Of Mice and Men in 8th grade, I have had a recurring fear of having to be euthanized upon my mother's death. Every time I seemingly regress to more autistic behaviors and am reminded of my mother's failing health, that fear resurfaces because we can't get me into a group home here in Oklahoma.

Should I isolate myself or allow myself to be placed on a harness. I'm actually afraid that I'm at the point where my autism could worsen. My mother no longer trusts me, and I'm not sure I can trust myself anymore.

Yeah. Knowing that causes my fears to subside. I still do wonder what I should do to make sure I don't regress. Ideally, this will be a one-off thing, like the shopping spree I discussed in the Financial Incompetence thread. I don't want to have to subject myself to 24/7 supervision when I'm considered to be "high-functioning."

I think there must be a compromise so you don't have to do either. Perhaps there are events for disabled people you can go to where they wouldn't mind your wandering. Or you can have someone with you to make sure you are safe. Or perhaps a service dog.

Are there any strategies you can use to prevent this from happening? You seem pretty self aware of it, so that's a good first step, but if someone is uncomfortable with it then it would be wise to prevent it from happening again.

You should also get the thought of euthanasia and all that negative propaganda out of your mind if you can help it. I think that's a bit too extreme and you seem capable of progress with the right support.

New Threads

Top Bottom