• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Improvisation vocalist/composer

Nauti

So, I thought I would just let y'all in on my long term passion/hobby/skill.

I am a songwriter who makes up a lot of music and songs, on the fly.

Unfortunately my voice is my only instrument and I am not good at the tech side of things, nor do I read/write music. My ex destroyed my recorded music, I think, probably for revenge, so I am reduced to really having nothing to show for myself, but I used to sing in bands, as well.

I hope to meet some musicians to work with, again one day.
I don't really love working in the music industry, very much though. I don't like the very, very, late nights, all the attention, the having to travel, the noisyness, lots of people, busy venues and the very poor pay, here in my country. I do like the actual practise of making music though, I really, really love that. I love having good musical chemistry with other musicians. I love making people happy, with my music, I love in when people dance, or tap their feet, or just watch, it's great when I see people are really into it. I love to dance myself as well.

I started working in bands when I was 18, in 1990 and I've stopped since 2012. I really miss it, but I don't really miss having to be so social, having to work really, really hard for, practically no money and dealing with other performers who act very competitively, musicians with giant egos and all the drug use that I had to be around, when I worked in the industry.

Music is really like my way of expressing joy and reverance and all kinds of emotions and it is a look into my soul, which is very exposing.

I guess, I don't know how to get back to it, because my Autism and cptsd make it very difficult to be able to handle the stress, sensory overload and social demands of it all.

That's why I thought I would post this post. I miss my old life of making music. I don't even sing much anymore and I used to practise and compose many, many hours a week, but I don't anymore because of neighbors, who are too close.
Anyway, thanks for reading, if you got this far. :)

Nauti, my husband is a musician. He used to be in bands here and there throughout his life, and worked another job as well. He doesn't like performing in front of groups of people anymore. He does play with other musicians online though, and that might be the venue you could use.

If you really like making music for the joy of it. Then maybe you should consider getting an electronic keyboard and a good pair of headphones to start off with. That way, you can just go into your room, close the door and escape into your own musical world without disturbing anyone else. If you want to take it to the next level. You could have a multi-track recording studio with just a PC, a couple of cables and some free software on the internet.

An idea came into my head while reading your post. It would be a shame to let your talent fall by the wayside. Perhaps you could compose music and lyrics for small choirs and choral groups highlighting a lot of today's social issues. There are many groups in cities and towns everywhere who perform once or twice a year. Original music is always a strong consideration for these groups. If you would share your music for free with these groups, it could be your own gift to the universe. You'll certainly get the credit as the composer, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just think that this could give you an added purpose for staying involved with your music. The creative spirit needs a muse.

If you really like making music for the joy of it. Then maybe you should consider getting an electronic keyboard and a good pair of headphones to start off with. That way, you can just go into your room, close the door and escape into your own musical world without disturbing anyone else. If you want to take it to the next level. You could have a multi-track recording studio with just a PC, a couple of cables and some free software on the internet.

Thanks to that post I have just broken my D20 out of mothballs, DLed an open source sequencer and ordered a USB/MIDI cable :)

I've been playing instruments for most of my life, and got very good on the bass at one time. I could also read music (though painfully slow) and that's how I started before my ear was developed. I used to play in local bands back in the 1990s before I had a kid. But that's the best I could ever do, was perform cover material. I also can't sing very well.

From what you describe, you've got all the desirable skills and talent. Because you can create too. Nothing wrong with just a good voice, that's an excellent (and lucky) thing to have.

One thing I would suggest is creating a soundproof room where you can sing your heart out without disturbing others. What are the options where you live? I've done reading about it (because I used to live where there were close neighbors), apparently the best method is a room within a room. Which might be a possibility even if you don't own the place, since it wouldn't be an actual modification to the room, and it could be dismantled and removed if you ever moved out. A basement also really helps the sonic isolation if you have one.

Now that my daughter is moved out and graduated, I've thought about getting back into playing again occassionally. If I did, I've got a lot of practice to do. I also don't drink and don't like being around smoke, so my options are limited. So even if in some different ways, I understand what you're saying.

Music is a great healer, you should get back to it if you can!
Thank you Tom! :) I'd like to.
It's a bit much right now, though. I feel like I am fighting battles on multiple fronts.
I have a lot of children.
I am poor.
There are lots of troubles going together with that sitch.
It would be really fun to get back.into music, though.

Nauti, my husband is a musician. He used to be in bands here and there throughout his life, and worked another job as well. He doesn't like performing in front of groups of people anymore. He does play with other musicians online though, and that might be the venue you could use.
I've fantasized about doing that. I hope I can find the right people, some day, and learn the techy know-how.:).

An idea came into my head while reading your post. It would be a shame to let your talent fall by the wayside. Perhaps you could compose music and lyrics for small choirs and choral groups highlighting a lot of today's social issues. There are many groups in cities and towns everywhere who perform once or twice a year. Original music is always a strong consideration for these groups. If you would share your music for free with these groups, it could be your own gift to the universe. You'll certainly get the credit as the composer, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just think that this could give you an added purpose for staying involved with your music. The creative spirit needs a muse.
Id have to get over my "rejection and persecution" complex, first. But it's a lovely thought, that I could be so well received, treated well, respected and have my talents and skills utilized. Thank you for the vision :).

I did buy recording eqipment, busking equipment, mikes, a loop station, borrowed some cheap keys, even a hardwear mixing desk, but, alas, no space. Although, recently, my daughter moved out and maybe I could get a keyboard stand and set up a tiny studio, with headphones and use our, now, spare room? Hmmmm, food for thought :).

Thanks for the thoughts.

Maybe I do have space, now.:) :) :) :) :)

Last edited:
I've been playing instruments for most of my life, and got very good on the bass at one time. I could also read music (though painfully slow) and that's how I started before my ear was developed. I used to play in local bands back in the 1990s before I had a kid. But that's the best I could ever do, was perform cover material. I also can't sing very well.

From what you describe, you've got all the desirable skills and talent. Because you can create too. Nothing wrong with just a good voice, that's an excellent (and lucky) thing to have.

One thing I would suggest is creating a soundproof room where you can sing your heart out without disturbing others. What are the options where you live? I've done reading about it (because I used to live where there were close neighbors), apparently the best method is a room within a room. Which might be a possibility even if you don't own the place, since it wouldn't be an actual modification to the room, and it could be dismantled and removed if you ever moved out. A basement also really helps the sonic isolation if you have one.

Now that my daughter is moved out and graduated, I've thought about getting back into playing again occassionally. If I did, I've got a lot of practice to do. I also don't drink and don't like being around smoke, so my options are limited. So even if in some different ways, I understand what you're saying.
I would LOVE a soundproof room!
Thank you for the benefit of the doubt about my musicality. I guess, I could be really terrible for all you know, but, you are kind to say that I'm probably not.
I guess I have done my "thousands of hours" of honing my skill, to be pretty free moving, nuanced, and versatile, with my voice. I started out as a harmony/back.up vocalist. Also done a lot of singing in a choir. Soprano.
Singing was my way of communicating and learning to be social, and I guess my "stim" for heaps of years.
Yeah, I don't like inhaling smoke, so that's one of the yuck things I got sick and tired of. I want to meet and play with versatile, experienced, confident musos who are skilled enough to know they can pull off some live improv, co-write songs and.mudic with me, and not feel threatened by an Aspie female, being a band leader. I have done my time as a subordinate, back up girl, for other lead singers, I want to shine, as a lead vocalist and songwriter now. I've done enough to know I can do it, I just need to.meet the right guys (and maybe gals).

I need to learn more though. I think I need to learn to read and write music, keyboards and some basic soudy/engineering skills. It would be nice to not have to, but I don't think I would get the trust and respect of skilled musos without those "music language" and theory skills. That's what my experience, tells me, anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom