• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm worried I won't be able to leave alternative school!

PropaneMan666

I'm in the 11th grade, and ever since the 10th grade I have been in alternative school. In the 9th grade, I would often have panic attacks, and try escaping school or coming up with excuses to get picked up early.... I also had trouble getting work done.... now, I've turned into a hard worker, and can control my anxiety with pills and walks with a paraprofessional... I also have turned into a hard worker, with an 87.398 out of a 100 gpa. problem is, in order to leave, you have to meet your exit criteria, which means less than 5 incidents of each target behavior, and the one I had trouble on was "inappropriate discussion topics" my mom convinced the administrators to hold a meeting at the end of the semester, saying my psycho-social development has been harmed since there are only 3 other boys in my program (who are all screwy), and I have gotten so lonely I have resorted to befriending children, who I rarely get into contact with... last time we had a meeting, they convinced me i was not ready, and though there was a great possibility i could go back, i told them i wanted to stay.... how do I not succumb to pressure this time, and how do I convince them I am ready to go back???what's making this more urgent is that there is a very violent kid with fetal alcohol syndrome on my bus, who bullies low functioning autistic kids, and another kid who picks on him, and i am annoyed by them both and concerned for ani, a low functioning kid on the bus, and feel pressured to be the protector.... what should I do?

With the bully situation I would suggest you report what you are witnessing to the bus driver and your principal. If you can try to get footage. If nobody does anthing afterseeing the footage then threaten to take it to the media.

Though it shouldn't be your responsibility to be Ani's protector perhaps you should sit close to her so you can intervene if the bullies try anything. Also try verbally confronting them about their behaviour and explain to them that what they are doing is hurtful and unfair.

As for the issue of your placement; maybe you should try role playing what you want to say in the next meeting before it happens. If you really want to go to a mainstream school then prepare your arguments ahead of time, write them down, and actually practice what you will say when they try to change your mind. Something like: "I understand your position, but I feel like I am ready to enter a mainstream program. I think I can learn more there, especially when it comes to socializing with other kids my age." It might not work, but at least you will have asserted yourself.

Also; what constitutes and "innapropriate discussion topic?"

Before taking it to the media, if you know the victim's parents, you can consider that as an option to. I wouldn't get involved yourself because you have yourself to worry about. You are already doing the right thing by reporting what you witness to authorities that can be responsible once they are notified of the bullying and unsafe situation(s).

New Threads

Top Bottom