• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm very awkward around guys I like...

nintendogurl1990

So I danced with this guy I like at a party, but it was very nerve-racking. My face was trembling and I had to look down at the floor, so I'm pretty sure I ruined the moment for us. It was a little embarrassing. Has anyone ever felt awkward toward someone of the opposite sex?

So I danced with this guy I like at a party, but it was very nerve-racking. My face was trembling and I had to look down at the floor, so I'm pretty sure I ruined the moment for us. It was a little embarrassing. Has anyone ever felt awkward toward someone of the opposite sex?
This has occured to me on a several occasions yes... I tend to also seem rather awkward to begin with and I tend to actually be more sensitive towards them.
I wouldn't say that it would ruin your moment, and I assume that it was the first time you danced with this guy you liked?

In fact, he probably might have felt the same about you?

I am interested and guys and yes, I can feel/act very awkward around them if I see them as even vaguely attractive. It's awfully embarrassing because I tend to blush a lot under these circumstances, and it turns into a positive feedback loop.

I remember when I was at a camp in junior high, a guy came up and talked to me and I was feeling so generally awkward and antisocial I looked fixedly at his feet for half of the conversation. But he persisted; he later claimed he was interested in me because I was so withdrawn (I hadn't been talking to anyone).

If you continue to interact with this guy even though you feel awkward, eventually you'll get more comfortable around him. That's always the only thing that really helps me, in the end.

If you continue to interact with this guy even though you feel awkward, eventually you'll get more comfortable around him. That's always the only thing that really helps me, in the end.
I definitely agree with you there, and I forgotten to even mention that communication is always important, especially in situations like this.

I am usually very quiet, and feel at loss for words, and clam up if l am attracted to someone. Especially if it is in a romantic situation, I freeze up and then they think I don't want them near me, or they repulse me. Eventually I get comfortable or muster up the energy and go for it.

In the past I have found it alot more relaxing to just make friends. That way I have not been as preoccupied with how I come across.

It was by joining a motorcycle club, that I met my future husband. I was not looking for a boyfriend at the time, but just some place to ride my motorbike and meet up with christian bikers.

If you have a specific interest, why not try joining a club and making some new friends. Try to put romance aside and your nerves might feel the benefit.

I'm quite sure it's absolutely normal to feel that way, most of the people feel some sort of discomfort around those whom they're attracted to. The severity of discomfort may vary. Some might appear absolutely calm but they just know how to hide it.
The most important thing here is to accept that you feel nervous. There's nothing wrong with it. The more comfortable you are with your own "reactions" the easier it will be to deal with them.

Yes, it is normal for those with ASDs to be shy and trembly around someone they like of the opposite sex due to shyness and nervousness. I have also had such situations towards the opposite sex myself but not towards guys that I like but towards guys that like me but who I did not like as they were not the kind of guys that I was looking for. This made me feel quite nervous and shy particulary when trying to tell them that I was not interested in them.

I do however have some ideas and advice that may help you and others which is that is try telling the person you like about how you are feeling even though I know it tells more courage and effort to tell them as this helps when you do. If you have friends try talking to them and ask them for some advice. Also try putting on some aromatherapies, wear jewellery with gemstones on them. Also aphrodesiacs help too.

I'm very awkward around guys that I like, I often feel so nervous that I can't even say a word to them and I act like a weirdo around them too.

This happens to everybody After ten years experience you will feel like a pro.
After10 years with the same person? Maybe.

I analyzed my own feelings about this shy behaviour and I think that it's a new and higher level of expectations (to be and act like 'man' and 'woman') that terrifies me when I'm not quite comfortable even on the level of communication between equal 'human beings'.

i had a boyfriend who had O.D.D for a while (by while i mean like a week). i actually was appaulled bc he wanted to kiss me and hug me 24-7. i didnt like that. so i told him he ws going into the friendzone. but yeah, he was a weird situation. usually i like to watch from a distance, and feel bad later

New Threads

Top Bottom