• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm Saving Up For a Snazzy Gaming Setup Once I Get A Part-Time Job

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
Without further ado, here is the list of all the expensive stuff:

-PC BUILD INFO:
--Case: DeepCool ATX Dukase WHV2
--GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-Fan
--MthrBoard: GIGABYTE B360M DS3H
--CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (bye two of either, if possible
--HDD: WD Blue 1TB or 2TB PC Hard Drive (44.99, $0 ship)
--SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB WDS500G2B0A
--RAM: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB)
--CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 4.0GHz 6-core LGA 1151 300 Series 65W

-Monitors
---1440p Monitor: AOC Agon AG241QX
---D. Tablet: Huion KAMVAS GT-191 Drawing Tablet
---1080p Monitor: Acer Gaming Monitor 21.5" KG221Q bmix
---High-speed HDMI: https://amzn.to/2JJYkFD
---HDMI Splitter: https://amzn.to/2JN4ogE

-PC Peripherals/Pads:
---Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB (x2, maybe just in case?)
---Keyboard: CORSAIR K55 RGB
---Mouse Pad: Seagold aliminum wristpads
---Mouse Wrist Pad: Jelbows Ergonomic 4 in. gel Wrist/arm rest (me and my friend, who also games on PC, call them wristbewbies. Look them up and you'll understand. Don't worry, they don't look like actual realistic breasts. It mostly applies to the shape and gel part of the name ;))

-Laptop: Acer Nitro 5

You'll have a hard time driving games at 1440p w/ that 1060; I recommend getting a 1070 or 1070Ti instead

you don't need a 3rd party cooler, the 8400 will come with one

Other than that, looks good

You'll have a hard time driving games at 1440p w/ that 1060; I recommend getting a 1070 or 1070Ti instead

you don't need a 3rd party cooler, the 8400 will come with one

Other than that, looks good
Got it.

I also heard that Intel's stock coolers are actually better than third-party ones, which is neat.
Edited Grammatical Errors

I want a Windows 10 PC so I can run Unity, Blender, Photoshop etc.

But my Brother has says he won't offer technical support if I go back to Windows from a Chromebook.

I want a Windows 10 PC so I can run Unity, Blender, Photoshop etc.

But my Brother has says he won't offer technical support if I go back to Windows from a Chromebook.
What technical support could you even get from using a Chromebook? Restarting your one and only option for a browser to resolve all your issues? Lol. :tearsofjoy:

I'm stuck with a Chrome OS PC, not my fault or problem.

Do you see?!
Lol. You can also dual-boot Chromium OS (downloadable version of Chrome OS) by installing Linux Ubuntu from an alternative drive, and then use the tutorials for installing Chromium, since there is no official ISO for it out there yet. Lol. You can download the disk image here to another alternative drive and install it on said alternative drive.

Last edited:
Eh... I'd pass if I were you.

It's more important to save for your future than for a computer that's going to be outdated in less than a decade. I wouldn't need to save for that and even I think it's better to save more than to spend it on tech.

Eh... I'd pass if I were you.

It's more important to save for your future than for a computer that's going to be outdated in less than a decade. I wouldn't need to save for that and even I think it's better to save more than to spend it on tech.

Eh, that's not as true as everyone likes to think it is. You dont have to replace these things nearly as often as those who sell them would like you to think you do. I personally use them until they start to fall apart (sometimes literally).

Besides. These things can LEAD to a better future. Hell, even I ended up doing some real work, in the form of contracted development. Couldnt have done that without the PC that could actually handle what it needed to do. It was quite the experience (and boy were my parents ever happy to hear about it). A good computer of any type can lead to many things, in many ways. One way or another, this world runs on tech now, in alot of ways. Alot of opportunities (such as jobs/careers) now REQUIRE the use and knowledge of things like these. But it's not just about work. These have so many applications.

A good example is the PC I just got. It's built for VR (virtual reality).... expensive to the point of being utterly ridiculous (seriously it cost over $4000). But while I'm very into gaming, VR isnt *just* for gaming. Not only can I use it as a major sensory escape, but it also has alot of programs/utilities focused on creativity and art (among other things). Giving it a go has gotten me all inspired to really try to finally dive into the world of art.... something I've been meaning to do for awhile, but it's always very difficult for me to find the motivation to START with a new hobby. It's like I need one big push to jump into something new... something that produces some big spark of inspiration that sets it off. This pricey glowing box not only gave me that, but it gave me whole new options for doing that very hobby (and others). Hell, it's getting me out of my chair alot more too. Technically can do VR sitting down, but standing (or walking if you've got the room) is a million times better and many programs require it. This thing is horribly expensive, but it opens up so many new avenues that it shows itself as being worth the price.

Of course, you dont need to buy a PC of that level to get major benefits out of it. Everyone buying a new one just needs to be careful about their purchase. Figure out what they're going to use it for and how often, and go from there. Plenty of people will get by by throwing just $500 at a new machine, which isnt much in the realm of computers. Often those are business machines, made for work. You dont need crazy graphics processors and all that for something like those. Just gotta make the right choices, and not fall for silly sales tactics (aka, dont buy one off the shelf at Best Buy or something). And it sounds like the OP has done their research, judging by that list of parts.

Beyond that though.... as long as you take care of the thing, and have it made by people that arent total idiots, they can last a long time. The fact that they become "outdated" doesnt matter (and takes longer than you think). Does it still run current programs without major problems? Then it's not outdated enough to matter. It doesnt have to run them bloody perfectly.... even when it comes to gaming. Even as a gamer myself, I'll never understand why some people obsess over making sure that every little part is always updated. I dont get that.

Lol. You can also dual-boot Chromium OS (downloadable version of Chrome OS) by installing Linux Ubuntu from an alternative drive, and then use the tutorials for installing Chromium, since there is no official ISO for it out there yet. Lol. You can download the disk image here to another alternative drive and install it on said alternative drive.

That would be an option if I had an external drive.

I do have 2 2 TB external drives which I use on both my Xbox consoles, but they're both more than half full (and I've had them about 5 years), I could do with buying at least 1 more 2 TB drive but I'm a bit short of loot at the moment.

Eh, that's not as true as everyone likes to think it is. You dont have to replace these things nearly as often as those who sell them would like you to think you do. I personally use them until they start to fall apart (sometimes literally).

Same here. The thing is though, eventually it does break down. When mine breaks down I'm out about $500-600 for say... 10 year period? And that's being optimistic. Even if you are using a $4000 computer, it will still break down in 10 years tops. And for a large part of those 10 years, you are running into the issue of not being able to reliably run new games simply because tech moves so fast. Newer is almost always better than quality in the computer world.

My first computer was top of the line, simply because in those days that was required for even a simple game. But now a weak i3 can run decades worth of games without issue. Once I got my second computer it was many times better than my first top of the line rig, and I could run everything pretty well. Invariably I would get into a game that was a little too good for my computer, and then everything would be "Awesome!" once my old one broke down and I got a new one, but lately I haven't even run into that since I simply don't bother with minimum settings and bad framerate due to all the older games available (that are also, pardon my grampa, better).

About opportunities offered by a better rig, these have a large investment required with no guarantee. Saving and investing will allow you to learn valuable skills for a much lower cost, that actually have a very good chance of return (if you take the time to learn). The only reason to buy a better rig due to opportunities is if you already have the skills and the clients and you just need the better computer (If you have some business idea that requires a top of the line computer). In all other instances it's just gambling away money for a small amount of enjoyment.

Edit: forgot to mention that many new games these days can also be run by any computer since a huge market is mobile gaming, and game makers are making sure they can include these people in their playerbase. So you can still play new games, although unfortunately most mobile games are crap money grabs. There's still some quality to be found in those swamps, though.

Same here. The thing is though, eventually it does break down. When mine breaks down I'm out about $500-600 for say... 10 year period? And that's being optimistic. Even if you are using a $4000 computer, it will still break down in 10 years tops. And for a large part of those 10 years, you are running into the issue of not being able to reliably run new games simply because tech moves so fast. Newer is almost always better than quality in the computer world.

My first computer was top of the line, simply because in those days that was required for even a simple game. But now a weak i3 can run decades worth of games without issue. Once I got my second computer it was many times better than my first top of the line rig, and I could run everything pretty well. Invariably I would get into a game that was a little too good for my computer, and then everything would be "Awesome!" once my old one broke down and I got a new one, but lately I haven't even run into that since I simply don't bother with minimum settings and bad framerate due to all the older games available (that are also, pardon my grampa, better).

About opportunities offered by a better rig, these have a large investment required with no guarantee. Saving and investing will allow you to learn valuable skills for a much lower cost, that actually have a very good chance of return (if you take the time to learn). The only reason to buy a better rig due to opportunities is if you already have the skills and the clients and you just need the better computer (If you have some business idea that requires a top of the line computer). In all other instances it's just gambling away money for a small amount of enjoyment.

Edit: forgot to mention that many new games these days can also be run by any computer since a huge market is mobile gaming, and game makers are making sure they can include these people in their playerbase. So you can still play new games, although unfortunately most mobile games are crap money grabs. There's still some quality to be found in those swamps, though.

Eh, I'm not worried about tech moving too fast.

I've been running gaming-rig PCs since... er.... the DOS days, I guess. In the 90s / early 2000s, it was much harder to get things running, specs often didnt match, games/programs were more picky about what you have or dont have though. But now.... yeah, not so much.

Even on my previous PC, which still sits next to me, it'll run damn near anything with no true hit to the framerate. Some settings may have to be turned down slightly, but their effects arent easy to even notice. The new PC is crazy because it's a VR setup. There's alot of potential issues (and literal headaches) that VR can have, so a rather absurd amount of power prevents any of that. Technically, I could have kept the previous PC running for another couple of years, probably. And heck, I might just take it over to the other house so there can be one there. It's still fully useful, despite being "outdated".

Also yes I agree with you on older games often being better. Well, sort of. It depends on what type of game we're talking about. If we're talking "big" games, like the AAA stuff, then holy heck yes, the old stuff is better. I dont bother with AAA games anymore (usually) though, I mostly do indie games. Which can vary wildly in terms of how much power they need/want (though the VR stuff *always* wants alot of it).

Now as for opportunities, I bring that up just to make a point.... I'm not saying you need to blow $4000 in order to make that happen. In my case, for the new machine it was done simply because there wasnt any reason not to, is the best way to put it. It's just like any other form of buying computers or parts: You just gotta make sure you not only know what you're buying, but WHY you're buying it. And hell, if you're buying the right thing. If you're an artist for instance, perhaps a full PC isnt the right choice; maybe one of those tablets (not a Wacom, I mean the sort that's similar to an iPad) that you can directly draw on the screen might be the right tool for you to use. Stuff like that. Either way, opportunities can be had IF you go about things the right way. As it is, my previous PC was about... $2000, I think? And the opportunity I got, to do some game development, would *not* have happened with a weaker machine. I would have indeed missed out on it if that was the case. Not to mention other things that have happened in that time. Game development is very resource-heavy in many cases. But then, that's part of why these things are so pricey in my case.

As for the idea of saving and investing, well, it depends on the individual's situation. Me doing that would accomplish nothing. At all. I wont go into why, but.... there's no practical reason for me to do that. So, I dont. However, were I in a position where that made sense to do.... I still would have ended up simply saving up for a $2000 rig. I mean, even if someone goes out and does, say, college classes (which I have indeed done) to learn the skills, you STILL need a machine actually capable of doing what you need to do. In some cases, people will work from an office and such, using their machines, but.... it's becoming increasingly more common that you do some or all of your work at home on YOUR machine, and you'll be expected to have one that will produce zero problems. I dont work a job, but if I did.... I'd need that high-end machine. Just not the ridiculous one I'm currently using.

Though, also, opportunities take different forms. The word doesnt always translate to "a job". I know society likes to think it does, but... no, it doesnt. I mentioned the VR thing, and art, right? That wont lead to a job. I mean theoretically someone can indeed use it for that, but in my case, that's not the point. It's just a chance... an OPPORTUNITY... to dive into that hobby in a new way, with a new approach. Doing something like rendering 3D objects/scenes with normal tools is.... difficult. And slow. But with this thing, I can do it with an interface and setup that makes it dramatically easier and faster. Less time wasted (and less confusion over) the technical aspect of it, and more time spent actually doing the bloody art aspect. Nobody making art of any sort wants to have to sit there arguing with the program half the time, or get lost in a program that's just freaking confusing (as many 3D rendering programs are). I mean, it's one thing to sit there and poke through 20 freaking menus to get one little aspect of a model changed. It's a whole other thing to literally just reach out and yank on it, accomplishing the same thing in 2 seconds. That's the sort of thing I mean. It's not a "work" opportunity. But it's opening up a whole new way to do things, and specifically, a whole new TYPE of thing I can do. Computers are good at that. Hell, I got into game/program testing the same way. Got into that years ago, still doing it, but all on a volunteer basis. And again, cant do that without a PC that can fully handle whatever is being tested. May not be a "work" opportunity... but it HAS accomplished stuff. Hell, I"m currently helping an indie dev I know, who is making a VR-capable game, in testing it as development continues (and let me tell you, THAT is a surreal experience). It's not "work"... I dont get paid for this. But it does accomplish something useful to someone.

Aaaaanyway. Sorry for rambling on so much. But I find topics like this to be just fascinating. Yet I see so few such discussions on this forum.

If your other PC is 10 years old (Dude that's 2008!) then there's no way it'll run new games with no hit to framerate. I doubt many new games will even be playable.

If your other PC is 10 years old (Dude that's 2008!) then there's no way it'll run new games with no hit to framerate. I doubt many new games will even be playable.

Aye, that's kind of why I pretty much gave up on PC gaming about 17 years ago, couldn't get anything to work under Windows XP.

Aye, that's kind of why I pretty much gave up on PC gaming about 17 years ago, couldn't get anything to work under Windows XP.
Most modern Windows 10 PCs can run games just fine. You just gotta have the right parts in it to have it play most of the HD games well.

New Threads

Top Bottom