• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I’m In A Tough Situation

KevinMao133

This is confusing as I’m just thinking about this

This just came in light, slowly: I don’t like my family members

I don’t know if I want to talk to them as I prefer being by myself and genuinely enjoy me time

I want to talk to them but I also don’t want to talk to them. I know I certainly don’t yearn conversations with them

It’s tough to talk about and opening up because I’m always thinking right and wrong. If I talk to them, there’s nothing in common. If I don’t, I worry about the culture even though I do better by not talking to them

I don’t think about things that’s out of control. I have my friends and circle, I don’t need them

It’s tough. I already moved on, they haven’t and won’t

In times past your friends would get married and disappear . . . but I don't know if that will ever happen again.

It's normal to be irritated with family FWIW.

If you aren't living independently, you need to do that and clearly establish boundaries of no contact.

Culture...
do I hear out that there is a (or several) departing topic between them and you. Maybe in a believe system or social structure? This often does great alot of distance and alienation. (Not that you have to change that. Its your life and decisions.)

Are they aware? (Of the departing topic)
Or are you keeping it to yourself to prevent useless fights or friction?

If im wrong, I apologize. I didnt mean to think so much ahead.

(You dont have to tell private matter if you dont want to. You could just say 'no' or 'yes' or whatever you want.
or ignore it, if you dont want to deepen it out.
Its understandable.)

Just got finished suggestioning we don't need get together with my family when my friend comes, after the last ridiculous imposition of them in my business which is none of their business. I need a break.

Why do people think I’m living with my family?

I won’t respond to nonsense, not worth it
It was a very normal question. And where I am from at is not uncommon for a 26 year old to still (have to) life with his parents because of shortages in housing. Your opening message is pretty vague. So for someone that does not know you it is a very normal question. Since I think quite a few of us might have been had sought isolation in our rooms when we were younger. If you want the replies to be clear of assumptions leave no room for any.

I don’t know if I want to talk to them as I prefer being by myself and genuinely enjoy me time

I want to talk to them but I also don’t want to talk to them. I know I certainly don’t yearn conversations with them

It’s tough to talk about and opening up because I’m always thinking right and wrong. If I talk to them, there’s nothing in common. If I don’t, I worry about the culture even though I do better by not talking to them

I don’t think about things that’s out of control. I have my friends and circle, I don’t need them

You haven't moved on; otherwise, it wouldn't bother you.

I am sad for you
I like and love some of my family members and some I struggle with more in terms of connection and relationship.
I really always believe some always love me deep in their heart but I have struggled because I am very empathetic and they are not.
But I still love them but need more.
A lot of autistics struggle with connection and I hope one day you find the love and support you need. I struggle to see the bigger picture and need so much more affection and support.
And struggle to understand a life where it is not supposed to exist then come out of nowhere.
It is ok if you find people who serve you.

If your family is actively harming, you or has abused you, it makes sense to cut ties and maintain very firm boundaries. Several people on this forum have had to do this, but it still came at a great cost to them and it was not an easy choice.

@KevinMao133, correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a slightly different situation where the family is just annoying and there is a feeling of disconnection. Maybe cutting contact is not the best option in the scenario. You don't have to choose between all or nothing, though. Just maintain the relationships as best you can and get your fulfillment for human connection from your friends.

As family (especially parents) age, sometimes our time with them can become more precious.

Why do people think I’m living with my family?
Who said you do?
Some answers seemed open to me.
So maybe its you who assumed they talked about it, while others meant it slightly different than what you understood at first.
As example:
Living independendly can mean -go live alone-.
But it also can mean that one doesnt need others to feel loved. Doing thing without those who are bad for you.
-your actions, abilities and your happiness shouldnt be linked to the behavior of others.-

but some probaly really assumed that you live with your familymembers, probably because you mentioned them.

Been there, done that, brother.

On one hand, your parents raised you, gave you a home, fed and clothed you, made a lot of sacrifices for you when you were a child. In their own way, they loved you, and perhaps even now, may still love you. On the other hand, you've "outgrown" them in many ways. In fact, it is primal social biology that we ALL move on and away from our family group. Further complicating the matter is the autism component where a life of miscommunications, misinterpretations, and emotional trauma, in one form or another, have created these wedges between us and our family. It's a weird thing to process this mental state of "I love them, but I don't particularly like them."

My parents taught me to be highly independent, even as a toddler, 2-3 years old, I can remember my parents saying to me "Get it yourself.", and without hesitation, I would, knowing I would have to push a kitchen chair up to the counter, climb up and get a cup, climb down, open the refrigerator, grab the heavy jug of juice, climb back up, carefully pour the juice, so on and so forth. If I spilled, which I did, I would have to grab a kitchen rag, clean it up, etc. So, it was with everything, transportation, money, learning, building, repair, etc. "Do it yourself." When I was 18, I had a lot of useful life skills to simply move on and never look back.

Years later, a wife and kids, I go back to visit my parents. The kids needed to know their grandparents. I thought this was important. Keep in mind, they lived several hours away, and my family would spend the night. Again, they were good hosts in terms of feeding us. They were good with the kids. However, for my wife and I, it was the same old dysfunctional social interactions, gaslighting, back stabbing, minimizing, and a long list of other little slights and insults that slipped out randomly during conversations that just put my wife and I on a stressful, emotional edge. It was emotionally exhausting every time we visited. When we got in the car to leave, the first 30 minutes was just a release of anger and frustration, a venting of "Your father said this, your mother said that". Of course, the kids were in the back seats listening to us in the front seats. As the kids got older, they were understanding the conversations and we likely put a wedge into their relationship with their grandparents.

It simply became too much stress. I would ask myself "Why am I doing this to myself and my family?" Love? Guilt? Then came Facebook. Well, that was several nails in the coffin. My family, behind the computer screen, would play out and post all sorts of things, private things, things that should never be out in public, but they treated Facebook like it was a private conversation between us. I am like, Ok, they're old, but I don't think they appreciated the fact that everyone else could see all this. My father was a natural at being an internet troll, like serious sociopathic type behavior. So this is what is going on in his head? He had these far-right political views, believed in all the conspiracy theories, believed everything on the internet, treated opinion like fact, it was horrifying. I blocked him, and not only on Facebook. I stopped interacting with my family, altogether. If he wanted to rant about me online for all to see, at least I wasn't going to see it and I wasn't going to react to it. I didn't need the stress in my life.

The guilt goes away real fast once that weight of family stress is lifted off of you.

If your family is actively harming, you or has abused you, it makes sense to cut ties and maintain very firm boundaries. Several people on this forum have had to do this, but it still came at a great cost to them and it was not an easy choice.

@KevinMao133, correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a slightly different situation where the family is just annoying and there is a feeling of disconnection. Maybe cutting contact is not the best option in the scenario. You don't have to choose between all or nothing, though. Just maintain the relationships as best you can and get your fulfillment for human connection from your friends.

As family (especially parents) age, sometimes our time with them can become more precious.

Yes I agree if the nature of the relationship is such things can be worked out, or if not so severe like in many cases, that is preferable. From the things the op discussed so far, I still am unsure why he needs to end things with them but I sense there must be a lot of negative things about his parents and involving their relationship we do not know about because of difficulty expressing those details for various reasons.

Although I think a lot of persons are raised to not disrespect their parents, my wife who is of another race said her culture takes this to a different level. Her family was all about wanting obedience and a daughter who could not think and feel for herself. It was important for them to have her succeed and under their control at all costs, and admitting or showing some weakness or some condition was not tolerated but caused shame to them.

Enormous critiques and pressures were put on her by them to make her family proud, without concern about her wants, emotional needs and tolerances. Money was a way to bribe her to do things if she got out of line. She was not allowed to express negativity or needs, or to blame them for anything, only they were allowed to do all. They supposedly had all the answers yet treated her coldly like she was property and potentially a money source if she died.

My wife internalized her feelings those years, developed one or more conditions because of them, and voiced her disagreement with them by eventually rebelling against that family and/or culture and against materialism, success and following orders from authority. She instead was allowed since to think for herself and to enjoy the simple things, and to not feel pressure to fit some image or to surround herself with people and responsibilities that triggered her.

I moved on from my father and sister at age eighteen, but my mother I still contacted her until her death as she had a good shown side, those times not under stress or duress, and as I was able to handle that other darker more negative and colder side those other times. In the end, we each will be responsible for our decisions in life, so I think the best solution often is to think all options through, taking also into consideration if your parents showed often more care about themselves, their culture and their image, or you as an individual.

Sometimes when such an important decision is made regarding family, we can choose to either grin and bear their few or several annoying contacts for a short period of time each year, focus on any good those moments, then do our own thing away from them, or decide to end things more permanently and not look back if they are adversely affecting our health longer term.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom