• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you had the chance to meet Hans Asperger, would you?

AGXStarseed

The man whose name would be used to label our 'condition' may now have passed on - having died in October 1980 - but if you ever had the chance to meet him would you have taken that chance?

Hans was an Austrian pediatrician - born in February 18, 1906 on a farm outside Vienna (Austria's capital city). He was a man who, ironically, may have had the very condition his name would be given to. At an early age he showed special talents in language, and already in the first school years he was known for his frequent quotations of the Austrian national poet, Franz Grillparzer. He had difficulty finding friends and was considered to be "remote". In the youth movement of the 1920's, however, he met with some comrades with whom he maintained contact all through his life. He was conferred doctor of medicine in 1931 and assumed directorship of the play-pedagogic station at the university children's clinic in Vienna in 1932. He married in 1935 and had five children. From 1934 he was affiliated with the psychiatric clinic in Leipzig.

Asperger published the first definition of Asperger’s Syndrome in 1944. In four boys, he identified a pattern of behavior and abilities that he called “autistic psychopathy,” meaning autism (self) and psychopathy (personality). The pattern included “a lack of empathy, little ability to form friendships, one-sided conversation, intense absorption in a special interest, and clumsy movements.” Asperger called children with AS “little professors,” because of their ability to talk about their favourite subject in great detail.

Asperger showed a positive outlook towards the children - treating them sympathetically and been convinced that, despite their difficulties, many would use their special talents in adulthood. He followed one child, Fritz V., into adulthood. V. became a professor of astronomy and solved an error in Newton’s work he originally noticed as a child. During a time when Austria was occupied by the Nazis - who were intolerant to the disabled and sent such individuals to the concentration camps to be killed - Asperger's positive outlook and passionate defence of the value of autistic individuals was best shown in a paper he wrote, stating "We are convinced, then, that autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community. They fulfill their role well, perhaps better than anyone else could, and we are talking of people who as children had the greatest difficulties and caused untold worries to their care-givers.". Asperger's paper ultimately saved hundreds, if not thousands, of Autistic children from been sent to the camps. His paper was published during wartime and in German, so it was not widely read elsewhere.

In the later part of World War II Asperger served as a soldier in Croatia. He was habilitated as a lecturer at the University of Vienna in 1944 and became director of the children's clinic in 1946. He became professor at the university children's clinic – the Universitäts-Kinderklinik – in Innsbruck in 1957, and from 1962 held the same tenure in Vienna. From 1964 he headed the medical station of the SOS-Kinderdörfer (SOS Children's villages) in Hinterbrühl. Asperger was became professor emeritus in 1977. He was working until the last, delivering a lecture six days prior to his death on October 21st.

His work was later translated from German and published, with English researcher Lorna Wing (who passed away June 6th 2014) proposing the name 'Asperger Syndrome' for the condition Hans had been studying in her groundbreaking 1981 academic paper Asperger Syndrome: a Clinical Account. The term became popularized and later became a standard diagnosis in 1992 in the World Health Organisation Manual - although it wasn't made a standard diagnosis in the American Psychiatric Association's manual (the DSM-IV) until 1994.
Today, in the DSM-V, it has been labelled as been a less severe version of Autism but it still exists on its own in the World Health Organisation Manual.

Hans Asperger's birthday, February 18, was declared International Asperger's Day.

---

If Hans Aspergers was alive and if the language barrier wasn't a problem, I would have definitely have loved to have met him, just to see what kind of man he was like.

Now, where did I park my TARDIS? :D

I would tell him that his work was very important, especially to those who have the condition, and be keen to discuss traits in females. As far as I know, he only ever studied boys.

I'd tell him I wish everybody had carried on his sentiments that we have our own worth and value, and we're not just irritating burdens to hide away or dope up. But that might make him sad (or mad, considering he might have been one of us), so I'd probably just simply thank him for his work and positive attitude.

I'd tell him he did a wonderful job. I'd be happy to hear his thoughts, feelings, opinions. I'd tell him that his work made a positive difference. I'd thank him, my gratitude truly heartfelt.

I think I would follow him around like a puppy, trying to learn everything about him. I would ask for his professional opinion of me and my difficulties. I would consider it a huge honor to have even a few minutes of his time for a personal opinion of me and I would tell him I am incredibly grateful that he chose this area to study.

I'd ask him if he could get his work published in english, so the condition would be accepted earlier in the century, thereby benefitting us older Aspies.
Also, I'd be intruigued to know if his experiences at school & work involved bullying and isolation and what his solution would be? How he would advise his younger self, given the chance?

As I understand it, Asperger was not a Behaviorist. But since then, somehow medication and Behavior Modification fraudulently became the only recognized treatment for Asperger's Syndrome.

If I had the chance, then of course. But if I had one chance to ever meet someone it wouldn't be him, I think. He is not one of my heroes, to put it like that.

If I had the chance, I would be very glad to meet him! His work was at the cutting edge of autism research at the time.
I would thank him for the pioneering work he did during his lifetime, adding new dimension to the autism spectrum and describing the strengths of the children who had "autistic psychopathy." His positive outlook on these children is in stark contrast to many clinical psychologists who have a negative, almost hopeless outlook for those on the spectrum.

Clearly the man made a scientific, neurological breakthrough medically speaking. However did Dr. Asperger fully understand the ramifications of his research had it come to fruition within the totalitarian regime and society which he worked for?

That he might have inadvertently created a persecuted minority that his government might have slated for segregation, incarceration and ultimately extermination. Luckily this regime came to an end in 1945.

I can only wonder if Dr. Asperger was so caught up in his research not to have considered this ominous possibility.

Clearly the man made a scientific, neurological breakthrough medically speaking. However did Dr. Asperger fully understand the ramifications of his research had it come to fruition within the totalitarian regime and society which he worked for?

That he might have inadvertently created a persecuted minority that his government might have slated for segregation, incarceration and ultimately extermination. Luckily this regime came to an end in 1945.

I can only wonder if Dr. Asperger was so caught up in his research not to have considered this ominous possibility.

Good point! Scary thought!
Though, I read somewhere that NASA headhunts Aspies and that about 70% of their employees are AS/ASD. I wonder if Hitler would've been so eager to exterminate our forebears however, if he recognized that maybe half his rocket scientists may have had the same condition.

Good point! Scary thought!
Though, I read somewhere that NASA headhunts Aspies and that about 70% of their employees are AS/ASD. I wonder if Hitler would've been so eager to exterminate our forebears however, if he recognized that maybe half his rocket scientists may have had the same condition.

Imagine had the Third Reich gainfully employed physicist Albert Einstein. But they didn't. NASA and other government agencies didn't have the same concerns or restrictions. If you fit a formal classification of an "untermensch", Germany didn't want you no matter how brilliant you may have been.

What made me think of such a thing? My obsession is totalitarian systems. So much so I majored in it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom