• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you had a kid, how would you describe the topic of Aspergers to them?

N64boy96

Honestly I'm still a kid at heart so there's no doubt I'll have a good relationship with my kids and before I let anyone tell them "You're broken, take these so you can be normal." I'd explain the way I've come to deal with it. We're hybrids we see things that no one else does like patterns in things that others don't, we strong interests in the things we love, (If it's a boy) we're way ahead where most guys spend years getting to. So find what you love most, understand that's what's blue to everyone else could be teal to you, remember your mother an I love you and wouldn't have you any other way and don't let anyone con you into thinking you're broken cause you're not. Your brains wired differently, there's nothing wrong with that, there's side effects to this but we'll cross that bridge when we get there and just be the best you you can be.

I would, and did tell my daughter that my mind is wired differently than science considers normal but, that doesn't mean I'm abnormal, just different, I process what I see, hear and feel differently than the majority is all. I have to learn social cues, the meaning of metaphors and such individually and, memorize each one but, then I understand them and, can use them just like anyone else.

I have to work harder to be social and, it won't ever be as much fun for me as it is for "normal" people but, I still enjoy socializing. Sure I'll do or say the wrong thing now and then but, don't we all? I'm not less perfect than anyone else, just less perfect in a different way.

No one is ever going to tell your old Mom that she is less, disabled, can't be and do anything she sets her mind to and, don't you let anyone tell you any of that either. Being an Aspie makes you different, not lacking, not bad, not stupid, not anything negative anyone might try to call you, just different and, different is beautiful, you are beautiful.

I've got an 11 year old Son who doesn't live with me. He is the spit of me and reminds me of myself at his age. I'm wanting his mum to get him a diagnosis. I only came into his life three years ago and straight away his mum asked me if I've got autism in my family and I reminded her of me lol! She doesn't want him labelled really at the moment but she says he ticks all of the checklists to spot ASD in children. When I see him I completely understand what he's going through so I know when he's had enough of something or to get somewhere on time and to be patient where food is concerned. The big talk will come soon but at least he's got me as a bigger version of himself :)

I remember when my son was four, and I had a beetle on my hand. I was telling him everything I knew about the beetle, and he looked at me very seriously for a long time and when I finally shut up about the beetle, he said, "You know, most mommies don't LIKE beetles..."

I wish I could tell my son about Asperger's, so he would know why his mom is so different. But his father would be furious with me if I did. Just like he was furious with me when he heard our son talking about autism, and I had to explain that C had seen a bigger girl in the park and asked why she didn't play with the other kids, just sat under the fountain in the spray garden with her face turned up to feel the water, humming happily...

I remember when my son was four, and I had a beetle on my hand. I was telling him everything I knew about the beetle, and he looked at me very seriously for a long time and when I finally shut up about the beetle, he said, "You know, most mommies don't LIKE beetles..."

I wish I could tell my son about Asperger's, so he would know why his mom is so different. But his father would be furious with me if I did. Just like he was furious with me when he heard our son talking about autism, and I had to explain that C had seen a bigger girl in the park and asked why she didn't play with the other kids, just sat under the fountain in the spray garden with her face turned up to feel the water, humming happily...
That is a little messed up. Why does he want you to hide it?

That is a little messed up. Why does he want you to hide it?
Insecurity, I think. We live in an area that is very backward in its thinking regarding autism, despite the fact that there seems a rather high concentration of autistic kids, there are very few available services because the mindset seems to be if people just went to church more and prayed harder, their kids wouldn't be autistic to begin with. It is seen by most as something to "shove under the rug". Across the river from my house, in sight distance when you are standing at the top of my street, is a set of buildings that were the center of the American Eugenics Movement. This year, the complex is finally closing.

In my opinion, that's all the more reason to educate people about what autism really is. But my husband just worries about the stigma still attached in the minds of most of the community. He doesn't want our son's respect for his mom to be diminished by the ignorant opinions of others. Which is a good intention but still feels like a negation of me. I don't want our son to learn about it later and conclude that it really is something bad because I had to hide it for so many years.

I would probably try to explain Asperger Syndrome to my kids, but I am not sure yet how I would go about it. Hopefully my husband will help me once we come to it. I am currently not married, but hope to be someday, so maybe he could help me explain things to them in an appropriate way.

New Threads

Top Bottom