• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If There Was One Thing About Being An Aspie That You Wished NT's Would Understand, What Would It Be?

I did the same thing. When I learned that I'm an Aspie, I wanted to run out and yell at the world, "This is why . . ." I shared the revelation with a friend (and former pastor). He admitted that he knew nothing about Asperger's, but was willing to look at any info I might care to send. That was over a year ago; I have not heard from him since then.

For years people complained about my "odd behavior" or fed off it as though I were some form of entertainment, but they shun me when I disclose the who's what's, and why's of my behavior. They don't want to know that I have AS, nor do they want to know anything about it.
Thats very true indeed...i am diagnosed few months ago and the first thing i wanted to do was to explain my condition to those i have harmed or hurt by my odd behavior and rudeness. Yet most of them didnt really give a crap about it. And they even told me to keep this "secret" to myself and do not tell anyone...i didnt agree with them but i kept it to myself anyway[emoji21]

I am newly self diagnosed with Aspergers, although I have known my entire life something is innately different about me. Since I do not have a formal diagnosis, please do not take this post with 100% accuracy that my thoughts truly reflect the thoughts of those on the Autism spectrum. After much observation of people, social interactions, and the rational behind society from a young age, I have learned a lot. I was unable to connect with a lot of people and had to learn to make these connections on my own through observation. I still struggle with it daily, but this is what I would like NT people to realize about people with Aspergers. NT people maintain strong social connections and relate well to the other people around them. They absorb what others tell them and they reflect the ideals the majority of society deems to be valuable. NT people, in a sense, have conformed to "group think" whereby they are strongly linked to others around them. People with Aspergers have a difficult time connecting in the way NT people can. They are subsequently left to their own devices to form opinions of the world. They observe the world far differently because they are not swayed by the opinions of others. They have intense interests and begin to think of things on a far different level than NT people because they can see the situation through an objective perspective where as NT people tend to see the world through the perspective most likely to connect them with others.

An example of this is fashion. A lot of women with Aspergers claim to be baffled by fashion from a young age, whereas many NT girls seem to pick up this social norm with little difficulty. It is difficult for me to wrap my mind around something so "concrete" as style and yet something that is cute one year is completely disregarded the next year, making fashion very fluid and subjective. Many NT women, however, claim they would die for a handbag or will wear things with popular patterns, like chevron for example. In my mind, I do not understand how a pattern could be "cute". It is the organization of color and something of permanence. The shirt with chevron that is in this year will continue to exist and in ten years the shirt will still have the same pattern. That shirt will long be out of style, but the shirt itself has not changed. The pattern is deemed important by those at the head of the fashion industry. People begin to see others wear it and like the appearance of others, and then they buy the item for themselves and the cycle of style continues. The point is NT people will do things and pick up likes and interests by what others around them are interested in because they are so well connected to each other. People with Aspergers will have a difficult time with this if they do not truly like what is in at the moment or they will just not try to conform at all, making them odd, eccentric, or outcasts. When people with Aspergers call into question the validity of these social norms, NTs are not able to understand why Aspies cannot understand. NTs will say I just like it because I do and they will feel no need to go further into why they like something where as an Aspie will have exact reasoning behind why they or dislike anything. The reasoning may not make sense, but at least it there are definitive examples.

For me, I love this rotary telephone I got on ebay two years ago. I love the color because it is a pale teal, reminding me of the sixties, an interesting decade I wish I could have experienced. I love the weight of the phone in my hand because it is solid and strong, not easily broken. I love turning each number on the dial because it makes every number in a phone number significant and purposeful. The dial slowly spins and clicks as it adjusts itself back to zero after each number is entered, giving me a feeling of tranquility. Hanging up the phone and resting it back on its holder is so official an complete at the end of a phone call. It says we had a conversation and it has now concluded. I also love any large corded phone because I remember watching Babes in Toyland when I was younger and loved the phone Drew Barrymore used at the beginning of the film. Something about a good phone makes communicating so much easier.

I do not think someone who is NT would quite like an object, action, word, thought, smell, sight, music, drawing, sound, or person with such vivid intensity and clarity as an Aspie. They are just not able to detach themselves from the social world and observe the way Aspies can. I don't think I am NT, so just as there are such strong emotions Aspies can feel toward inanimate objects, thoughts, and actions, I am sure there are things NTs can do that are amazing that Aspies have no capability of comprehending.

Sorry this is so long!

I don't think any one thing alone would have much of an impact for me. I just wish they understood ASD better so that I could be accepted and function in society without having to make so many concessions.

Jamie, I'm so happy to hear your comments about "the retro phone". I understand completely. I am also self-diagnosed for a few years now. Just reading about your phone attraction made me laugh and agree. I've had a few old phones just for the reasons to stated. I needed a laugh too. =)

"Don't put me at the center of attention." I think that's what I wish people would understand most about me. I can weasel my way around all my other problems with varying resistance and coping methods, but I just cannot get through to almost anybody that giving speeches is very, very bad for me.

"I don't wish anything bad on you. In fact I hope you are having a happy life".

There are a few people in my life... family members... who treat me with suspicion, even hate in one case. They can't get around the fact that I wont, can't, connect with them the way they want me to. I can't get drunk and be a loud Bloke/Bro/Macho Dude with them. It's just not in me.

And that bugs them no end. When I engage with them, it can end up awkward. I say the wrong things. I don't react the way they want. If I instead leave them be, that becomes an insult too. I'm stuck.

I don't hate you. I'm just quiet and private and awkward.

I think the only thing I wish some could see, was just how hard life really was for me growing up. It's the only real frustration I face, personally, in terms of being misunderstood. I think too many people feel I'm being over-dramatic when I say life was hard for me. While I don't wish it on anyway, it'd be nice for them to at least understand, and acknowledge, just how challenging it all was, and at times still is.

That my priorities are not socially driven, so what is important to you probably isn't important to me.

They can't get around the fact that I wont, can't, connect with them the way they want me to. I can't get drunk and be a loud Bloke/Bro/Macho Dude with them. It's just not in me.

And that bugs them no end. When I engage with them, it can end up awkward. I say the wrong things. I don't react the way they want. If I instead leave them be, that becomes an insult too. I'm stuck.

I don't hate you. I'm just quiet and private and awkward.

This is so true for me, too. It's an unsolvable puzzle. There is. no. right. choice. I can't fit in their box for me, and they don't like who I really am. And they really don't like if I withdraw from them.

Yes...I wish they would understand that I don't have to be like them to be valuable in my own way.

That my priorities are not socially driven, so what is important to you probably isn't important to me.

Great point. As the NT partner of an AS man, this has been one of the hardest things to get used to. I never even thought about how much I do that is, underneath it all, driven by the perceptions, expectations, etc. of others in my social universe. It's a LOT, and being with someone who pays no mind to that sort of thing can be difficult. Because we think so differently, sometimes we find ourselves at cross-purposes even when we have the same goals.

But you know, observing my mate's behaviour and hearing him explain the way he thinks about such things has become sort of freeing for me as well. Rather than just trying to make him understand why a certain amount of social consideration can matter when it comes to his personal priorities, I have spent a great deal of time reflecting on how I might be a happier (and more successful) person if I wasn't quite so socially motivated. I think it has grown me as a person. And in turn, he has found it useful to incorporate social considerations into his quest for fulfillment of his own desired ends.

I often wonder now what it would be like to have priorities that are purely my own, and free of social influence. In some ways, I envy you.

This thread has been very helpful to me. Thanks to the OP as well as all who have answered thus far.

Great point. As the NT partner of an AS man, this has been one of the hardest things to get used to. I never even thought about how much I do that is, underneath it all, driven by the perceptions, expectations, etc. of others in my social universe. It's a LOT, and being with someone who pays no mind to that sort of thing can be difficult. Because we think so differently, sometimes we find ourselves at cross-purposes even when we have the same goals.

This causes me problems with my NT husband as well, I don't understand wanting "nice" things.

The one thing I wish NTs knew would probably be that I am trying. It seems difficult for them to tell when I'm making an effort to get along in their world.

I want people to understand how important sensory breaks are for me. When I am surrounded by people for prolonged period of time I have to reboot every half an hour or so. If I am preoccupied with some sort of activity besides socializing I may last longer. Sometimes I can survive without breaks if I have something to fidget with.

If there was one thing that I could make NT's understand it would be that my tone of voice and facial expression don't always appear to reflect my hearts intention... =( <truly sad
This would be what would have been great for people to understand when I was growing up. Everyone who didn't already know me well said I was miserable and unsociable. Both were untrue. I just had a blank expression unless there was a reason to smile or laugh or cry. And I wasn't unsociable . I had a blank face and was taking in my surroundings, including what people were saying even though I wasn't looking at them.
So I think sometimes people decide too soon about someone before they even have taken the time to get to know them. That can cause problems.

This would be what would have been great for people to understand when I was growing up. Everyone who didn't already know me well said I was miserable and unsociable. Both were untrue. I just had a blank expression unless there was a reason to smile or laugh or cry. And I wasn't unsociable . I had a blank face and was taking in my surroundings, including what people were saying even though I wasn't looking at them.
So I think sometimes people decide too soon about someone before they even have taken the time to get to know them. That can cause problems.

My Aspie friend has said the same thing - his facial expressions never match his mood and people say that he's too serious. Just the other day I sent this picture and said "Do a Grumpy Cat smile!"

grumpy cat.jpg

My Aspie friend said "I've been doing that all day!" That was funny! :p

[QUOTE="nurseangela, Do a Grumpy Cat smile!" :p[/QUOTE]

Hi nice, love the cat pic. For me as a auspie, remembering that I over lode easly and miss stuff, so half the time I'm so busy (processing) that my responses will be (behind the curve) at best, like one of those poorly dubbed foriegn movies. So (slowing down) the conversation a little and (double checking) if something (seems off), because sometimes we just give up and walk away rather than fix a miscue or mistake. So asking did I get such and such right, may save some feelings. We (don't enjoy) hurting people with mistakes, it just happens like a slow motion train wreck, makes you feel like throwing up.

That usually in order for me to do something, there has to be a reason or it has to make sense. For example, earlier this summer, a co-worker asked me if I owned any dresses. Of course I do, but it does not make sense for me to wear them to work seeing as I work in an environment with children. I know that by the end of the day I will be covered in some type(s) of stain(s), whether it is paint, marker, glitter, pen, spilled juice...Also, working with children means I have to rush around a lot, so comfortable clothing is a must.

My Aspie friend has said the same thing - his facial expressions never match his mood and people say that he's too serious. Just the other day I sent this picture and said "Do a Grumpy Cat smile!"

View attachment 14154

My Aspie friend said "I've been doing that all day!" That was funny! :p
Exactly that. I may be smiling inside but I don't know what my face looks like. I'm on the inside of it after all....

New Threads

Top Bottom