• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I wish these things were guided

@DK's_Ghost
The quality of mental health care for women really annoy me. No one thought until 30 years ago that women could be autistic too. But the descriptions online, on many of the sites offering assessment, are still based of the male model with no distinction given to variation in girls. I risk a tangent so I will just let that stand on its own.

When looking at my own behaviors, one of the most difficult things for me to understand, is how important "self control" is? I am having a difficult time trying to phrase my question succinctly.
For example: SusanLR said her assessor scattered pencils and asked if it "bothered" her. This question alone gives me heightened anxiety. When I am shopping, eating in a restaurant or in a doctors office (in short, in public) I have a string urge to straighten advertisment racks, menu stacks and shelves that have been disturbed. But, unless I happen to have a block of relaxed, free time, I can ignore this urge pretty easily. The tables in the doctors office are always neater when I leave, but store shelves I can ignore.
I was going to say "at home I don't need this same level of order" but I realized that rectangles are the issue and I don't have many of those at home. But if I play cards, I always neaten them and line them up.
Obviously, because I can ignore the urge, this straightening behavior is not disruptive and not OCD.
But just asking "does this bother you" would get an affirmative from me, yet, probably isn't relevant.

@Suzette
I know that was probably what she was looking for when the can of pencils was thrown on the table, OCD.
And just as you explained it is how I feel about the organized need to straighten things and make
them perfect.
I have that urge, but, it isn't disruptive to the point it interferes with my life either.
I also notice magazines or things in disarray and seeing it doesn't make me feel good, but, I can
ignore it also.
At home, actually I am worse to want things in an exact order. But, we must live and that can get
messy when we don't have the time to keep things in their place and paper stacks get messy or
clothes that weren't put away are laying around, towells not folded symetrically, etc.
I was worse with this when I was younger. It doesn't seem as outlandishly important as it did then.
Maybe because I had more time then to let my OCD urges take charge and keep things in an order.
It is still there, just easier to control.

I do wish the tests gave you a place to put an explanation for your answer though.
If you felt it would clarify it.

New Threads

Top Bottom