• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I wish my hands were better

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
My hands have been a burden throughput my life. They lack strength to the point they get crushed in handshakes or make me unable to protect myself physically. They tend to often be in pain and sometimes shaky due to having carpal tunnel syndrome. I also can’t play any musical instruments nor draw skillfully. I wish my hands were better.

Last edited:
Exercises. No, seriously. I have a lot of chronic pain issues, particularly in my entire right arm/wrist/hand, and that was what was told to me.

But also, ergonomics.

Here, let me show you something that I wish more people would know about:

R (2).jpg

This is a vertical mouse.

Most people use a normal flat mouse, or they try to use a touchpad on their laptop, or something like that. Those things are exactly something that contributes to the very problem you're talking about.

Think about it: If you just lay your arm on a table, while you're seated there, and just let it naturally rest, your hand will not be laying flat, it'll be on its side. But to use a normal mouse, you must TWIST your wrist to do so, and hold it in that position. The entire time.

I use that specific mouse in the photo there. And WOW did that help.

I'll put it this way... you think your hand/wrist problem is bad? Mine got so bad a number of years back that I literally could not HOLD a mouse. At all. For a period of about... a year, I think it was... I used a game controller to emulate the mouse, because I couldnt hold a real one. This was exactly as bad as it sounds. Once I COULD hold one again, I learned about the vertical mouse, immediately bought one, and... yeah. Talk about a difference. No way I'd ever go back to a classic mouse.

But also, there's other aspects too. Like elbow position and whatnot. Pain you feel in your hand, shakiness and weakness, that isnt always IN your hand. It could be in your freaking shoulder. This nonsense travels (experienced that one myself).

None of this should stop you from drawing or something like that. I mean mine got so bad I was taking 4 Advil every 4 hours. For months. But, it's gotten much better, and now I'm drawing. You can get to that point too, but you gotta put in the work, as I had to. Exercises, positioning, activity time monitoring, using ice or whatever if something happens that seems like it might cause inflammation (I haaaaaaaaate using ice myself, but I will say, it does work).

And that's a hard fact, when it comes to physical problems of the sort that might be approached with physical therapy: you either put in the effort, or A: nothing happens, or B: it gets worse.

My advice: First, talk to a doctor, seek treatment. See what they advise. Ask if a brace might help as well. I use an arm brace, this armband thing. I always wear it. Worn correctly, it... does something. My physical therapist explained to me like 12 times just HOW it works and why it works, but I never quite grasped it. All I know is that it works, though it took time getting used to it.

Sitting around telling yourself how bad it is though, aint gonna do anything at all. Except maybe make it easier for option B to happen. And trust me, you do NOT want option B to happen. I cant stress enough just how painful that is.

Also I want to point out that the thing with the mouse, I'm not saying that JUST the mouse is the problem or the thing to fix. Look for other things in your day to day life that may be potential causes, and make adjustments. You'd be surprised, just what kinds of things can affect you in this specific way.

Osteoarthritis here.
Limited opposable thumb.
Turn my hands into nothing more than paws. Which is rather ironic and applicable.
That vertical mouse looks like a good find.
Thanks!

That vertical mouse looks like a good find.

Yeah, it's pretty great.

I will warn you though, if you try one it's going to be extremely awkward at first and you WILL misclick all over the place. They say that you need to spend like a good month just sorta persisting through that, since you're basically trying to overwrite muscle memory related to traditional mice. I did find this to be true, it took me about that long to get the hang of using one of these. So, anyone trying one of these should expect initial frustration, that's totally normal when learning to use one.

Some of my current issues with my hands are due to many injuries, usually from rock hammers and chisels from younger days when hunting for trilobites and other Paleozoic fossils. Then, there has been Duputryns contracture.

My hands have been a burden throughput my life. They lack strength to the point they get crushed in handshakes or make me unable to protect myself physically. They tend to often be in pain and sometimes shaky due to having carpal tunnel syndrome. I also can’t play any musical instruments nor draw skillfully. I wish my hands were better.
I lack strength in my arms and cannot lift much.
So I cannot lift boxes, open jars, put out bins.
My arms get tired and sore easy but I have been sick a long time.

@Markness

Previously when you mentioned carpal tunnel,
I suggested B vitamins. B-6, in particular.

A woman in our co-op was scheduled for
carpal tunnel surgery in six weeks. I told her
that B vitamins had helped me with my hands,
wrists, fingers, toes.

She found enough relief from using vitamins
that she cancelled the surgery.

New Threads

Top Bottom