• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Wish I Was Helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNomad

How I wish I could get some help from people:sob:. Not m I bet, or material gifts, but making connections/transportation. And knowledge:cry:. I know next to nothing about computers - in 20 years of so of using them, I've only learned the barest posting ability. I can't do what other people do:coldsweat:. And before you tell me about library classes, remember, they're closed now because of COVID. If somebody would only help me one-on-one, please:disrelieved:.

If you want to learn more about computers, use Youtube. There are tutorials for EVERYTHING. Doesnt matter what it is... there's a tutorial for it on that site. Classes are not necessary to learn computer stuff.

That being said, if you're using Windows... just click stuff. And right click stuff. See what you can find. Unless you go deep... which you probably wont know how to do... you cant damage much just by experimenting. This approach has always been possible... it's how I learned computers, and that was back in the days of DOS. Heck, it's still how I figure stuff out on these, I just poke things and do whatever seems like a good idea at the time. And I'm at a level where I can fix most problems. Granted, my way of fixing stuff is like duct-taping a car back together, but still, it works.

Computers these days arent NEARLY as complicated as they used to be. Dont be intimidated by them. Back during the DOS days they were a confusing labyrinth of arcane commands, but these days, Windows and such are very specifically designed to be as easy to use as possible. It just depends on what exactly you want to do.

If you have specific questions, just ask. Also you can talk to me one-on-one if you like, though I dunno how much I can help. I'm very erratic.

Steve,
What things do you want to do with the computer?
Most of the time, I’m just messing around on the internet. Reading stuff.
I go to my bank website and transfer money so i can use my debit card.
Right now, I’m picking out glasses and trying to enter the prescription and order them. It’s a very finiky website. Keeps hanging up, then I have to start from the beginning.

Just so everyone knows, Steve is only interested in one-on-one help. Someone sitting down next to him and showing him what to do. Very many suggestions have already been made to him on Wrong Planet over a course of years, like youtube instruction videos and library classes etc etc and he didn't like any of those.

Just so everyone knows, Steve is only interested in one-on-one help. Someone sitting down next to him and showing him what to do. Very many suggestions have already been made to him on Wrong Planet over a course of years, like youtube instruction videos and library classes etc etc and he didn't like any of those.

Can't see that happening. Pandemic aside, it's still highly unlikely.

To the OP, the libraries/workshops etc may be closed now, but they won't be closed forever. If, as the above post suggests, you've asked about the same thing for a number of years, it won't hurt you to wait a few more weeks/months for the library to open. You appear to have managed thus far to post on here and on WP so you can't be doing too badly.

Can't see that happening. Pandemic aside, it's still highly unlikely.

To the OP, the libraries/workshops etc may be closed now, but they won't be closed forever. If, as the above post suggests, you've asked about the same thing for a number of years, it won't hurt you to wait a few more weeks/months for the library to open. You appear to have managed thus far to post on here and on WP so you can't be doing too badly.

I believe the curx of posts like these is for the OP to emphasize that he is all alone with no one to help him, as in a regular helpmate. I think that's why he has gotten frustrated in the past with people making suggestions which end up being alternatives to that.

...I have such minimal skills:( and such little equipment and such non-helpful potential situations that I'm below the level where a " tutorial video " is very helpful. Though he's nasty to me, Ezra is correct in that I really would like someone next to me answering my questions and showing me what to do - 1I'm not of the " grew up with computers " gender a tion. It wasn't casually around me. And I found out rather late.
And my social status and things connected with it, and my difficulty with social codes makes it hard to approach people:cry: - my being handicapped too, though not " recognized " enough as handicapped. I have just so little knowledge and all alone on a teeny phone that's often close to breaking isn't the place to watch You tube instructional videos, I'd need to climb up the basic skills level at least b before I could do much with that. I cannot figure out how to transfer a picture I take to anywhere. I cannot upload something onto YouTube. I cannot do - a lot, and I need more basics then " watch a video " which basically does demand you have skills and equipment and convenience time I don't have:persevere:. I actually do have a netbook now but I cannot now get it working.

...I have such minimal skills:( and such little equipment and such non-helpful potential situations that I'm below the level where a " tutorial video " is very helpful. Though he's nasty to me, Ezra is correct in that I really would like someone next to me answering my questions and showing me what to do - 1I'm not of the " grew up with computers " gender a tion. It wasn't casually around me. And I found out rather late.
And my social status and things connected with it, and my difficulty with social codes makes it hard to approach people:cry: - my being handicapped too, though not " recognized " enough as handicapped. I have just so little knowledge and all alone on a teeny phone that's often close to breaking isn't the place to watch You tube instructional videos, I'd need to climb up the basic skills level at least b before I could do much with that. I cannot figure out how to transfer a picture I take to anywhere. I cannot upload something onto YouTube. I cannot do - a lot, and I need more basics then " watch a video " which basically does demand you have skills and equipment and convenience time I don't have:persevere:. I actually do have a netbook now but I cannot now get it working.

Understand: tutorial videos are made SPECIFICALLY for those that dont know anything about the subject at hand. That's the entire point. You say "you're below the level", but.... no, you're exactly the sort of person who videos and content like that is made for! Even I can learn things from such videos on different subjects, and I've a memory so bad I can forget things while I'm in the middle of doing them. If I can do it, so can you.

Here's the other thing though.... look, after Ezra's comment, I instantly remembered who you are. And he's right.... you've been doing this for ages, and getting nowhere.

But the #1 thing I've always noticed with your posts over all the times I've seen you make them is your attitude. You have to drop it. DROP it. Get rid of it!

You cant do these things, partly because you have DECIDED that you cant do them. You've given up the fight before the battle even began! OF COURSE you arent getting anywhere, when you do that! I mean, look at what you post here... it's always these topics filled with sad emojis and such... it just radiates "I cant do this", and it also radiates "I'm not even trying". If you want to get somewhere, if you want things to change, then you gotta switch that up. Stop saying "I cant" and start saying "I'll try, and I'll learn".

And understand: working "one on one" with someone isnt going to be quite the experience that you think it will. Typically, when you have a tutor or someone helping you like that, they DO NOT want to hear that kind of attitude and will react negatively. After all, the entire point of a tutor is to get you to be able to do these things for yourself. If the person they're trying to help is all "I can never do this no matter what" how is the tutor supposed to get their job done and help at all? I mean, good grief, you could be asking direct questions in these very threads, but you dont. You dont know how to transfer photos, or upload things to youtube, you say... why didnt you just ask? We can tell you (usually). You're so deeply mired in this "I cant win" attitude that the asking doesnt even happen... how do you expect anyone at all to help?

If you want things to change, if you want to improve, then you have to bloody well stand up and make it happen. It *will not* happen on it's own... no matter how many posts like this you make. You may not like that fact, but it's how it is for everyone. Get up, and TRY. If you dont succeed? DO IT AGAIN. And when you need assistance? Dont post topics full of crying faces. Instead, just ask direct questions, and think about the answers you get.

We all have to do these things. It's the only way we learn anything... period. This goes for NTs as well. You can do it, but only if you drop that attitude and allow yourself to get there. It's all up to you... it's not up to us, and it wont be up to anyone that helps you "one on one". YOU decide that attitude... so decide.

...In living day to day I do a great deal of determination!!! You maybe don't understand how little equipment I have, or how little convenience/privacy I have. If someone personally helped me some, the idea would be to learn from them, to improve myself and do things more mys elf. But, yes. I NEED A BIT OF HELP. I'd need more secure space & privacy to learn how to post photos, etc, and equipment working better.

...I do not have a reasonably secure, safe, private place of my own with good stability. Given that I am handicapped, I don't have some degree of handicapped-suitability at a home and a reasonable way to get around and deal with the handicappedness (As you see, I am not complaining about the handicappedness but being unable to reasonably work with it). Yes, all that I have that's working are these teeny phones and no secure place. Yrs. I need a little bit more. Libraries have been closed for months now, and even before that and when I had not had my ID stolen (which some here disbelieve me on :hearteyecat::disappointed::weary:) I seemed to not have sufficient ID to satisfy at least some library/lies in r o giving me a card. I'm descended from the " normal " person I once was:cry:.

...In living day to day I do a great deal of determination!!! You maybe don't understand how little equipment I have, or how little convenience/privacy I have. If someone personally helped me some, the idea would be to learn from them, to improve myself and do things more mys elf. But, yes. I NEED A BIT OF HELP. I'd need more secure space & privacy to learn how to post photos, etc, and equipment working better.

What are you trying to achieve from this thread? That someone from here will offer to come and give you one on one tuition?

@Ezra stated earlier, people offer suggestions and you dismiss them. It's not clear what you want, so this thread will just evaporate in a cloud of 'I can't do that because …………..'

@Misery has invested in providing good advice. It's a shame he's wasted his time.

Based on years of reading very many threads by the OP, he is pretty much just posting the saga of his life, none of which needs to be addressed with advice. There is nothing anyone is going to say or come up with that has not already been said and come up with in the past. His pattern is to make numerous threads all of which have the same basic theme. There are already five of them here. Often on WP such threads erupted into negativity on both sides and had to be locked.

Last edited:

Honestly, convenience and privacy are luxuries. I'll put it this way: You think people who do ttech stuff professionally always have either of those things? Much of the time, they do not have convenience OR privacy. AND they have deadlines and all sorts of "fun" stuff. You, on the other hand, are not currently restricted by some giant corporation breathing down your neck, when it comes to use of tech. After all, if that was in place, they'd have FORCED you to learn these things, probably in some very uncomfortable and irritating way.

Nobody has a truly perfect setup for computer/tech stuff... that seriously doesnt work as an excuse. I have zero privacy myself and constant interruptions, and with my memory being what it is, each interruption brings more forgetting of things. AND this basement is always cold, and I can get sensory issues when it comes to cold things. But I can still do stuff down here.

Now that all being said... what in the world are you expecting to get here? You ask for help. We offer advice. The advice is ignored, even if it's very good advice that is quite relevant. This loop has gone on for... a long time. A very long time. Dont you get it? You cant get results or accomplish anything by simply continuing this pattern! That's why I mentioned your attitude, because it's the central cause of most of this. And yes, I get that you're disabled. Technically, so am I. But that dont stop me from taking charge when it comes to learning new stuff. Again, it really comes down to attitude. You want help? THAT is what will help, is changing that "I cant do it" view. At this point, it's likely the ONLY thing that can help.

As I already said, even if someone sat down with you in a one-on-one situation... they wont find themselves getting anywhere, with you constantly saying "I cant do this". Again, you wont accomplish anything this way.

Stop saying "I cant", and instead, get up and freaking TRY. And if you try and fail? TRY IT AGAIN. And again. And again. And again. That's how learning works. You may not like that, but it doesnt matter... that's how it works. Go watch Youtube videos even if you have to use your bloody phone. TRY it. And then TRY what they tell you to do. Doesnt work? KEEP TRYING. Keep learning. I didnt suggest the Youtube thing just outta nowhere. Or just experiment! Poke things! Mess with the device!

You can keep asking for help and complaining about the lack of it all you want... it wont get you anywhere. But YOU can make the change that matters. But only if you get up and bloody well do it.

Based on years of reading very many threads by the OP, he is pretty much just posting the saga of his life, none of which needs to be addressed with advice. There is nothing anyone is going to say or come up with that has not already been said and come up with in the past. His pattern is to make numerous threads all of which have the same basic theme. Often on WP such threads erupted into negativity on both sides and had to be locked.

Aye, I've noticed this. Quite likely this will go the same.

But I for one am stubborn as heck and dont give up easily. Usually I just drill at a problem endlessly until something breaks. It's what I do. Right now though, that something is my arm... too much typing and clicking for one day. Time for a break.

...I don't have " a basement space " too cold or not, at all. I don't have a secure home at all. Yes, I imagine I will not get ant help.from here, I'm expressing myself. Why do you care so what Ezra thinks of m He's spent years showing his hatred of me. I don"t even have prescription glasses for my bad eyes. BTW:cry:.

...I don't have " a basement space " too cold or not, at all. I don't have a secure home at all. Yes, I imagine I will not get ant help.from here, I'm expressing myself. Why do you care so what Ezra thinks of m He's spent years showing his hatred of me. I don"t even have prescription glasses for my bad eyes. BTW:cry:.

Yet you manage to post on here just fine.

And as for getting help from here - what help are you trying to get? You've been given loads of advice which you've chosen not to take.

WP shows you as asking for money. I guess that's what you want by posting on here. I hope others are wary of what you're posting and don't offer you money.

Last edited:
I find computers tough i signed up for a free on line course that uses MS10 and i have a MacBook so a bit tricky, my ex boyfriend works in IT and has tried to 'teach' me the basics, i seem to learn then unlearn stuff and 'i don't like them' which means i have a closed mindset in regards to making progress, guess i've posted to balance with SteveNomad to note problems are problems and to block/deny help and advice is silly and leads to unhappyness for you and frustration to others.

Alright this needs to stop. For clarification "SteveNomad" posted as "ASS-P" on Wrong Planet.

My. Theiving Cousins:-( | Wrong Planet Autism Community Forum

Read this thread made on Wrongplanet back in 2010

Never getting to go to college

Fixer_Girl said:
Not only does Walter Lilly have a home, but Walter is a stand up member of society who writes into the local press, has several addresses under his name and is an avid reader of obscure comics - and I mean avid.

There isn't a word for people like you Walter, there simply isn't an expression for how low and inhuman you actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom