• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I went outside today (agoraphobia?)

LOL! I am kind of the opposite. Outside and as far away as I can get is how I recharge my batteries. Hanging around inside and waiting for the smoke to clear is depressing to me.

My downtown area is pretty small. I can usually walk around in it without encountering anyone as long as I stay off the two main streets. And these days of course it is almost like a ghost town at times.

For me the problem is the people, because they look/stare at me or sometimes even try to interact with me, and that's not something I want. I really hate interaction being forced onto me, if I speak to people at all, I need to to be my choice and on my terms. But mostly, I just want to be left alone to go about my business in peace.

I've had agoraphobia off and on most of my life.
A couple of times it got so bad I had to make myself take a step outside.
Now it is better and I don't think about going places too much unless it is
far away and by myself.

I try to put things I need to do together in one day if possible when I have to go somewhere.
Otherwise I have a large house to live in and plenty of housework to keep me busy.
I don't like housework, but, it is a reason to get going each day because I like a clean house.
I do like gardening and taking care of my orchids, cacti and houseplants.
There are also no houses behind the one I live in and there are paths with trees and small lakes.
I also try to get in meditation time everyday to help keep me relaxed.

Like many of us here, it is a world in a bubble. But, if that's what feels good...do it.

Sometimes when outdoors I get that disassociation / depersonalisation / derealisation feeling. Sometimes it causes so much anxiety I have to go back home. Other times I am able to put up with it.

yeh i am trying to "practice" going outside so i dont "lose" the ability
What makes you bizarre? Is it clothes or ticks or the way you talk or walk? For me, it's clothes, demeanor and the way I talk or don't talk and also fugue states (disassociation). Why I ever bothered to be around people who never cared away is a mystery to me. What was I thinking?

The gym near me used to be 500 feet away And i had to venture outside in the cold or extreme heat, then i moved to a building With a gym. I still don't go... i guess that was just my excuse not to go to the gym. :oops:

I go through phrases of cabin fever and agoraphobia. I try to go out for coffee and walk a bit as much as possible. I can't forget about food or shopping if possible.

I'm the same where I only go out if I really have to, especially since starting to work from home. I like having a routine so once I get used to staying at home it's hard for me to break out of it.

It's probably not a good habit to have long term so need to find a way of getting myself out to different places. It's crazy to think how much time I must have spent in my room over the past few years!

New Threads

Top Bottom