• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I went outside today (agoraphobia?)

Moonhart44

V.I.P Member
I really hate going outside. I try to live close to everything, and i do, but i would rather order groceries than walk 2 minutes and get them myself.

today and yesterday i went outside. i feel accomplished. it was interesting going outside today because i felt sad and unwanted, but by being in isolation for so long, i forgot the affect i have on people.

do you guys struggle with goin outside? the first thing i hate about outside is the sun. i like the heat, but i hate sun damage. then of course its the PEOPLE

It depends on the location. If it's outside in nature and away from people - I feel like it's enjoyable. If I'm somewhere that's busy or loud - then I want to leave as soon as I can.

Ed

Like being outside, I cycle a lot. Don't like people who cut me off on the bike path, causing two needless accidents this summer. Cycling season is ending, it's getting cold, so now like every winter I'll have to figure out what to do next. And settle down for a long winter's nap.

But in general, a good portion of people annoy me. The one's who set off fireworks at night, the one's whose dog barks endlessly, the people on electric bikes who think they are getting exercise. The people who get too close in grocery stores. Now I'm thinking of using my cart like a battering ram.

Oh, definitely.
I go through phases of agoraphobia thanks to my sensory disorder and general anxiety I've developed because of it.
I'm currently at my worst with being housebound for almost 3 years.
I'm working on getting back out there though! It's just a slow and painful process.

Finally doing better. I completely ignore people. That has really helped me. l isolate instead of waiting to long to isolate. I am researching where to live so l can get a cat. Think that will be good for me. And make sure to aknowledge when you do have your successful days. People troll these days even in jobs.

I go outside lots, whether it's urban or natural settings, never really had a struggle with it... If anything I struggle (if you want to call it that) with cabin fever when I spend way too much inside, partially because I have a small space I live in

From talking to a friend once, she explained how she had a struggle at one time with leaving her apartment, I believe it was related to anxiety and fear, but she managed to work through it

Also talking to a friend this weekend, there are lots of people (even NT's) who don't go out much in general, and I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with anxiety, just lifestyles people choose... I think this is more common in the suburbs of large cities where people own houses with large lots

I really hate going outside. ...do you guys struggle with goin outside? the first thing i hate about outside is the sun. i like the heat, but i hate sun damage. then of course its the PEOPLE

I do struggle with this and, while I don't have agoraphobia, I have spent periods of time not going out at all, or going out very little. I love the sun though. I don't mind sitting on my verandah. The yard is fine. Home is safe. Home is controlled to a great degree - how I like it. I have almost everything I need and want here. However if it becomes a 'problem' where you can't leave home this will be really restrictive. I advise people to try not to let it go that far.

It depends on the location. If it's outside in nature and away from people - I feel like it's enjoyable.

Yes! My only issue is that I don't feel secure, then. I have fear if I go bush walking by myself for example. Yet I don't enjoy the frenetic nature of places with lots of people.

When I was a young adult I loved dense cities. I even lived in downtown San Francisco for about 18 months. I liked the idea that I could be anonymous in a crowd of people, that nobody would think to pick on me for my odd behaviors because they would all have better things to do than look for weirdos in a crowd. I grew up in a suburb with big homes on large lots owned by rich people and everybody knew about me and I couldn't go anywhere without being recognized and stared at. In the city nobody cared, and as long as I wasn't breaking laws or making a totally gigantic spectacle of myself then I was just part of the urban environment like everybody else, nameless and faceless. Look up the song You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey on Youtube, that song is how I viewed the city back then.

Today cities are more like a giant high school, everybody has their cliques and everybody in the city wants to "make it" and be rich and famous and be instantly known. It's more like the song Fame by Irene Cara (which was the theme of a 1980 fiction movie about students at a performing arts high school in NYC) where everybody wants you to remember their names because one day they will be famous and instantly recognized wherever they go.

Today I want to live in a remote area away from other people and their cliques and worship of celebrity and wanting to be famous for far more than just a measly 15 minutes. Plants and animals do not care about who you "know" and who you are. They only know if you are kind to them or if you are cruel to them. They are attracted to kindness and repulsed by cruelty. That's all they need to know to survive.

It is always hard. I am bizarre, so I feel self conscious.

I used to like sitting in the yard, but my neighbors smoke 24/7 (even 4am, their are smoking). So now I am a prisoner even in my own yard or porch.

It depends on the location. If it's outside in nature and away from people - I feel like it's enjoyable. If I'm somewhere that's busy or loud - then I want to leave as soon as I can.

Ed
for me, nature is too open. i like being in a place where there are four walls
i have also been described as an indoor housecat

Oh, definitely.
I go through phases of agoraphobia thanks to my sensory disorder and general anxiety I've developed because of it.
I'm currently at my worst with being housebound for almost 3 years.
I'm working on getting back out there though! It's just a slow and painful process.
if i am in a place like a mall i feel like there are too much stimuli and i fee overwhelmed. even when i went to the mall today (my computer is broken) a couple people bothered me. i was thankful the mall had a population limit within it.

Finally doing better. I completely ignore people. That has really helped me. l isolate instead of waiting to long to isolate. I am researching where to live so l can get a cat. Think that will be good for me. And make sure to aknowledge when you do have your successful days. People troll these days even in jobs.
yeh i was very happy i got what i needed done. my mom told me that i had to get my computer fixed before warranty expired, but for some reason i was worried i would be too scared to get it fixed. but becase i messed up another way (i lost al my savings :v) i was forced to just push myself. i am also forcing myself to do things for the betterment of myself to try to achieve um. . . inner peace. and part of that is trying to go outside to get MANDATORY things done, even if its the only thing i do all day and it only takes 10 minutes. today i was good and went outside, also took out my dog and trash, and i studied

I go outside lots, whether it's urban or natural settings, never really had a struggle with it... If anything I struggle (if you want to call it that) with cabin fever when I spend way too much inside, partially because I have a small space I live in

From talking to a friend once, she explained how she had a struggle at one time with leaving her apartment, I believe it was related to anxiety and fear, but she managed to work through it

Also talking to a friend this weekend, there are lots of people (even NT's) who don't go out much in general, and I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with anxiety, just lifestyles people choose... I think this is more common in the suburbs of large cities where people own houses with large lots
i am from the city so i think that makes sense. one of my favorite places i lived was a studio with no air conditioning lol. this apt i have now. . . its so big its so its hard to clean, adn i already have no desire to do that bleh

I do struggle with this and, while I don't have agoraphobia, I have spent periods of time not going out at all, or going out very little. I love the sun though. I don't mind sitting on my verandah. The yard is fine. Home is safe. Home is controlled to a great degree - how I like it. I have almost everything I need and want here. However if it becomes a 'problem' where you can't leave home this will be really restrictive. I advise people to try not to let it go that far.
yeh i am trying to "practice" going outside so i dont "lose" the ability

When I was a young adult I loved dense cities. I even lived in downtown San Francisco for about 18 months. I liked the idea that I could be anonymous in a crowd of people, that nobody would think to pick on me for my odd behaviors because they would all have better things to do than look for weirdos in a crowd. I grew up in a suburb with big homes on large lots owned by rich people and everybody knew about me and I couldn't go anywhere without being recognized and stared at. In the city nobody cared, and as long as I wasn't breaking laws or making a totally gigantic spectacle of myself then I was just part of the urban environment like everybody else, nameless and faceless. Look up the song You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey on Youtube, that song is how I viewed the city back then.

Today cities are more like a giant high school, everybody has their cliques and everybody in the city wants to "make it" and be rich and famous and be instantly known. It's more like the song Fame by Irene Cara (which was the theme of a 1980 fiction movie about students at a performing arts high school in NYC) where everybody wants you to remember their names because one day they will be famous and instantly recognized wherever they go.

Today I want to live in a remote area away from other people and their cliques and worship of celebrity and wanting to be famous for far more than just a measly 15 minutes. Plants and animals do not care about who you "know" and who you are. They only know if you are kind to them or if you are cruel to them. They are attracted to kindness and repulsed by cruelty. That's all they need to know to survive.
i relate to that. i am from los angeles and i am used to high density population, but when there are even more people, like san fran or new york, i feel better. its like there are soooo many people, and weird people at that, that you are invisible.
the only problem i have is not the size of the living places, but how close everything is. even tho i am afraid of going outside, i hate being inside a well, in the sense that i am not truly alone because i live in an apt. thats the only con i have, and i would wish to live in a small house where there is no one close in proximity, so i can do whatever i want and experience what its like to really be alone (but not in a murdery context of course)

It is always hard. I am bizarre, so I feel self conscious.

I used to like sitting in the yard, but my neighbors smoke 24/7 (even 4am, their are smoking). So now I am a prisoner even in my own yard or porch.
that sucks. i feel like that everytime i take out my dog. i think, why are the neighbors allllways out when i take her out?
i am very bizarre looking in real life. and i draw a lot of attention to the point that if the room is small enough, everyone will stare. or at least thats how i feel.

Outdoors is fine for me, but I hate crowds.

It’s not a phobia, per se, just a this-thing-irritates-me (I need to find the word for that). I just don’t have the patience for large crowds - the more people you pack into a room, the dumber they all get.

Several times, our company has invited everyone (2,000 people at the site I work at) to the cafeteria to celebrate some milestone. They offered some snacks, free ice cream, etc. I walked down with my group, saw the crowd, and turned right around and left. Again, I don’t think it’s a fear thing, but it definitely is an I-hate-this-enough-to-leave-immediately thing.

Last edited:
I mainly like being indoors. But I also like being in the nearby woods. I usually do not come across others on the trails I use the most, and I like pretending it is my own big backyard. And I also like going for rides either in a car or on a motorcycle, especially though the rural farmlands.

i am from the city so i think that makes sense. one of my favorite places i lived was a studio with no air conditioning lol. this apt i have now. . . its so big its so its hard to clean, adn i already have no desire to do that bleh

Here in Calgary, our downtown has never been super busy, compared to much larger places... The large cities of western Canada are surrounded by sparsely populated small towns and prairies, unlike other cities with large suburb cities... It's still an urban setting but not like a Chicago or Vancouver...

New Threads

Top Bottom