• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I was robbed (in a manner of speaking)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Browsing the program schedule online tonight of our local photography festival in February...

I noticed:

Two very well known local photographers are doing a photo show based almost exactly on a series concept I've been developing... Now they will steal all the thunder, and anything I've done is probably worthless now, because "it's been done"

And I thought it was a fairly unique approach that I haven't seen much, now I'm not sure what to even do with it... And by no means do I want the slight the photographers doing the show, I just feel slightly cheated, partially because I don't have the same resources they likely have to even mount a show...

The thing about new ideas, is that it's almost guaranteed that someone, somewhere, has had the same idea. It's a harsh lesson to learn, but an important one.

With stuff like this, dont worry about what others are doing. Just keep doing your own thing and keep improving. And show them in places where you can. These days most people dont look towards shows in physical places.... online is the place to be.

Yeah, it's aggravating to find out that a unique idea you had actually isnt, but... it doesnt make it any less impressive that you came up with it. Or executed it properly, whatever it is.

Ouch, that has to hurt. Can you spin off some other theme that would help you feel passionate?

Do you feel still excited about your pictures? If you answered yes, then maybe you have another photo theme show in you that will showcase your talents.

Ouch, that has to hurt. Can you spin off some other theme that would help you feel passionate?

Do you feel still excited about your pictures? If you answered yes, then maybe you have another photo theme show in you that will showcase your talents.

Photography is something I still enjoy of course... But what I've seen with true professionals, is how they develop very specific themes for a sense of continuity, which is exactly what gallery shows are looking for... And I have always struggled to find a really specific theme, which is what I know I had developed... And it's not street photography, as much as I do lots of that, I feel that really isn't specific enough for what I'm describing as a theme...

I guess my concern is that these two photographers (married to each other) have a very high profile in my area, and could steal all the thunder... I am aware of one other local photographer doing a somewhat similar theme, but with a lower profile

Do bad they wouldn't consider collaborating with you. Have you thought about approaching them? Maybe you could aproach venue and show some of your beautiful work, because one collection is great, but two exhibits are more fun to enjoy. Works great in museums that rotate exhibits.

Do bad they wouldn't consider collaborating with you. Have you thought about approaching them? Maybe you could aproach venue and show some of your beautiful work, because one collection is great, but two exhibits are more fun to enjoy. Works great in museums that rotate exhibits.

My only answer, is that I'll try to make it to the opening reception of the show, if I'm able to, perhaps chat with them in general, they are good people from what I know of them...

The thing about new ideas, is that it's almost guaranteed that someone, somewhere, has had the same idea. It's a harsh lesson to learn, but an important one.

With stuff like this, dont worry about what others are doing. Just keep doing your own thing and keep improving. And show them in places where you can. These days most people dont look towards shows in physical places.... online is the place to be.

Yeah, it's aggravating to find out that a unique idea you had actually isnt, but... it doesnt make it any less impressive that you came up with it. Or executed it properly, whatever it is.

I'm a complete rookie in things like this, I guess lesson learned...

But now if I ever exhibit anything on the theme in question it will look I'm the one who is the copy cat, when quite possibly I was doing it before them...

I'm a complete rookie in things like this, I guess lesson learned...

But now if I ever exhibit anything on the theme in question it will look I'm the one who is the copy cat, when quite possibly I was doing it before them...

Eh, if they're smart, they probably had the exact same thought. Likely, they didnt come up with it either. Whatever "it" is.

Something I learned through my gaming hobby, and the game design/testing I've done, is that there's no harm at all in taking an established technique/thing/service/whatever, and making something like that yourself. The important part is to A: not steal components from things others have made (unless they give permission, of course, and B: to put your own spin on it. It's that way with not just photography, but art, games, movies, TV, music, whatever. There's a reason the word "genre" exists.

In other words... there's no point in fretting over any of that. If there's an idea you like... established or not... and you think you can make something neat of it, just do it! The care and passion you put into it will shine through in the end, and that's what makes for something good.... not just a "unique" idea.

I doubt that. Think of this in terms of copyright law. Canada's Copyright Act appears similar if not the same to our own from the perspective that one cannot copyright a concept or theme relative to a photograph alone. It's the individual image that counts.

Apart from that individual image, what might potentially be copyrighted would be words and language used to describe the theme or concept. Though in most photographic expositions, I'd think it's all about the image without the written word. Where no one can hold a monopoly on any photographic theme or subject.

So in reality it's academic whether one thought of a concept or theme first, second or last. If the law doesn't make such a distinction, I wouldn't expect the public to either. Besides, if the photograph doesn't do the concept or theme justice, it won't matter who thought of it first.

Édouard Manet may have been the first acknowledged impressionist painter, but that didn't give him any inherent advantage over a crowded field of some very talented painters of the period. If I were to recite some of my favorites, Manet would not be one of them. My bad! ;)

About copyright - Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada

Last edited:
I'm not sure what theme you were developing when the couple went public with their similar photography but Judge makes excellent points about the meaning and significance of "originality" in the world of art. Please don't let this deter you because you have talent and every photo you take is further honing your skills and developing concepts unique to you.

For whatever it is worth, there is a well known photographer in the Mississippi Delta, along the Mississippi River in a very rural area. She has established a career and national reputation by photographing dogs in the woods - a solitary dog in the early morning river fog, a mournful dog sitting on the river bank, two dogs looking in the same direction into the deep, dark woods, etc. She publishes other photos of the magic of the mighty river delta and forests but her black and white dog-themed photos are what put her on the map. You just need to find whatever theme appeals to you and go for it.

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn in life is that ideas are ten a penny. Coming up with an idea is generally the easy bit. I can guarantee other photographers will have had the same idea as you and the photographers you mention. But the same idea can be redone in different ways and gain just as much attention and praise.

I used to write stories when I was a kid. I wrote hundreds growing up, some that turned into ongoing series that I would read to my younger cousins (I did a lot of babysitting). I wrote one about a boy that went to magic school based on a load of highschool novels I grew up reading. I had an entire series planned out with all the characters, plotlines, settings, etc by the time I was in my mid teens. You know who else wrote a series about a boy who went to magic school? I'm pretty sure you'll have heard of the Harry Potter series. I saw the first movie as I was graduating highschool. I pretty much cried my way out of the cinema and didn't write another story for about 5 years after that.

Then I sat down and dissected the novels and realised most of her plot/characters/ideas aren't that original. They are based on much earlier ideas from other writers and she just built on top of these. But Rowling put them together in a slightly different way in a new version at the right time and got media attention (which is rightly deserved). That's just life. For every Rowling, there are 99 other authors that you never hear about.

But your ideas/work don't have to be wasted just because someone else has already used them. I have since recycled the characters/plot/settings that I came up with into other projects. I have an entire 'back catalogue' of material to choose from these days. I'm currently working with a few other people to create a game, which will heavily borrow a lot of that. It has saved me countless hours of work (which is lucky, as my brain seems better geared towards technical rather than creative tasks these days). I can also use a medium that didn't even exist when I first wrote the stories and go much further than I originally planned.

Keep a note of your ideas and you may find they are perfect to use at some random point in the future. People have short memories and they will likely forget what these other photographers have done. In several years you may find you can expand on your idea in a completely new way and do something even better with it.

Last edited:
I doubt that. Think of this in terms of copyright law. Canada's Copyright Act appears similar if not the same to our own from the perspective that one cannot copyright a concept or theme relative to a photograph alone. It's the individual image that counts.

Apart from that individual image, what might potentially be copyrighted would be words and language used to describe the theme or concept. Though in most photographic expositions, I'd think it's all about the image without the written word. Where no one can hold a monopoly on any photographic theme or subject.

So in reality it's academic whether one thought of a concept or theme first, second or last. If the law doesn't make such a distinction, I wouldn't expect the public to either. Besides, if the photograph doesn't do the concept or theme justice, it won't matter who thought of it first.

Édouard Manet may have been the first acknowledged impressionist painter, but that didn't give him any inherent advantage over a crowded field of some very talented painters of the period. If I were to recite some of my favorites, Manet would not be one of them. My bad! ;)

About copyright - Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada

I'm not suggesting copyright infringement, just the perception of a concept that's all...

I'm not suggesting copyright infringement, just the perception of a concept that's all...

Step outside your own perception and I suspect you'll discover that most everyone else won't be dwelling on such a thing. Especially when they're too busy looking at the picture itself. ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like a logical direction for you to take is marketing your art. Not so much directly selling it, but rather, positioning yourself, getting exhibitions, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom