• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I was misdiagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder at 17.

A couple of months ago, a friend with Aspergers suggested I do the AQ test. I scored 34. I didn't really put too much stock in it. Then recently he sent me the link to this place, and suddenly it all became very clear.
Once I was told about my BPD (when I was 32, apparently psychologists weren't allowed to tell their patients what was really wrong with them for fear that they would use that diagnosis as an "excuse" [15 years of therapy with no improvement]), I immediately set to work finding coping mechanisms for myself, and stopped seeing my psych. Learning the rules, basically.
This past decade I realized more and more that the BPD diagnosis was rubbish and I surfed the web trying to understand my condition. Nothing seemed to fit comfortably.
Until now.
Also, that survival guide! How I wish I had been given that manual at 12 instead of What Every Girl Should Know, by Dr. Jan van Elfen.
But I am proud of myself for reaching this stage in my life basically all by myself. I feel like a "recovered" Aspie, like I've gone through hell and came through it, on my own, whole and integrated. I spent all these years researching, searching, studying, writing, trying to understand the ways of the world. What an interesting journey!

I was also misdiagnosed, at the age of 14 I was officially diagnosed with delinquency lol.
I spent the majority of my life thinking I was the only person who experienced the world the way I do, I felt lonely, isolated and apart from the culture that surrounded me. When I was seeing a psychologist later in life he explained what aspergers syndrome was and that maybe I should read some books on the subject, I remember actually weeping when I read of the accounts of other peoples journey and experiences, so similar to my own. I wish I had been diagnosed earlier in my life, as in the interim I developed PTSD, major depression and anxiety disorders. it makes me happy to see the syndrome becoming more widely understood and supports now in place to aid children on the spectrum, hopefully they will at least have some understanding of the syndrome and know they are not alone. It sounds like you have done an amazing job studying and adapting to living in such a confusing world.
oh and Welcome to the community :)

Hi & welcome!
Many of us have had similar experiences not knowing we were autistic during the crucial stages of our lives.

Welcome aboard. Glad to read your journey has taken you to a place of joy and understanding. :)
Best wishes
image.jpg

BPD was one of several "working diagnoses" pinned to me over the years, only to be discarded by subsequent clinicians. This may not apply to you, but if you have another confirmed mental health condition, a history of mental illness in your family, or a history of abuse or trauma that could trigger a personality disorder, an ASD is apparently the last place a doctor would look when trying to make a diagnosis unless you're a textbook Aspie/Autie. It took me 44 years and more than 15 doctors to get the right answer, and honestly, I did most all of the legwork that finally got me diagnosed.

I'm really glad to hear you feel your journey has been fruitful, and that you consider yourself well-integrated. It's a place a lot of people never reach.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your new family. :)

I, too, was diagnosed with BPD, among other things, as a teenager. I was put on a veritable cocktail of medications and became zombie-like and even more withdrawn.
Now, at 32, a passing comment from my husband a few months ago led me to take ASD tests online and resulted in what one might call a "eureka" moment of clarity.
While I have been busy being a Mom, I plan to pursue a professional diagnosis for Aspergers when things slow down for us (my child is special needs and has an upcoming surgery for which we're preparing.)

Glad you have found your way! It's a strange journey, but when things start to click, one can make great strides.

I was also misdiagnosed, at the age of 14 I was officially diagnosed with delinquency lol.
I spent the majority of my life thinking I was the only person who experienced the world the way I do, I felt lonely, isolated and apart from the culture that surrounded me. When I was seeing a psychologist later in life he explained what aspergers syndrome was and that maybe I should read some books on the subject, I remember actually weeping when I read of the accounts of other peoples journey and experiences, so similar to my own. I wish I had been diagnosed earlier in my life, as in the interim I developed PTSD, major depression and anxiety disorders. it makes me happy to see the syndrome becoming more widely understood and supports now in place to aid children on the spectrum, hopefully they will at least have some understanding of the syndrome and know they are not alone. It sounds like you have done an amazing job studying and adapting to living in such a confusing world.
oh and Welcome to the community :)
Thank you! That is exactly what happened to me when I arrived here and read people's stories. I wept with happiness, sadness, relief, regret, thankfulness. It's amazing how knowing the truth sets one free. Corny, I know, but apt.
And to have friends who are like me is simply amazing. I have never felt more accepted and appreciated in my life.
Thanks for the welcome!

BPD was one of several "working diagnoses" pinned to me over the years, only to be discarded by subsequent clinicians. This may not apply to you, but if you have another confirmed mental health condition, a history of mental illness in your family, or a history of abuse or trauma that could trigger a personality disorder, an ASD is apparently the last place a doctor would look when trying to make a diagnosis unless you're a textbook Aspie/Autie. It took me 44 years and more than 15 doctors to get the right answer, and honestly, I did most all of the legwork that finally got me diagnosed.

I'm really glad to hear you feel your journey has been fruitful, and that you consider yourself well-integrated. It's a place a lot of people never reach.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your new family. :)

Thank you!
I have no other mental health issues, nor anyone in my family, apart from"anxiety disorders", no abuse or trauma. The BPD diagnosis hurt my parents, because it implies something had happened to me when I was young, but there really was nothing apart from the shock of life, really.
I am now 43. Half my life ahead of me to enjoy, instead of dread. :-D

This may not apply to you, but if you have another confirmed mental health condition, a history of mental illness in your family, or a history of abuse or trauma that could trigger a personality disorder, an ASD is apparently the last place a doctor would look when trying to make a diagnosis unless you're a textbook Aspie/Autie.

Mental illness runs in my family. Anxiety, depression, bipolar, eating disorders, alcoholism, ADD, and OCD are throughout my family. I also have a personal history of trauma as a child (sexual abuse and emotional abuse). Add to this the fact that males are diagnosed with ASD over females 4:1, and it's no wonder Aspergers wasn't on anyone's radar.
Though, it's worth mentioning that Aspergers runs in my family with at least one confirmed diagnosis (my cousin's son) and several suspected family members, though my family is one of those "American Beauty-nobody-wants-to-admit-there-are-issues-in-the-family" families.

New Threads

Top Bottom