• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think my parents are abusive

I really hope your parents get at least slightly more accommodating, meanwhile I didn't listen to the recordings I just know that people like that can be emotionally abusive due to how much online research I've done into emotional abuse. It is good that you took recordings of that as that is evidence. You're certainly not alone; I send virtual hugs.

Last edited:
My parents are telling me how mean I am and that autism is just a label. Below is the recordings:
Dropbox - abusive parents - Simplify your life

Working at a children's hospital and dealing with parents for over 35 years,...you see all sorts of personalities,...and I've seen plenty of parental denial. Part of the phenomenon is that they are selfish in the sense that they had their dreams of a "perfectly normal-to-exceptional" child crushed,...in their minds. Some parents are quite concerned about how others perceive them,..."The parents of that autistic child". So,...they have this underlying edge of anger that sometimes flares up. Denial, intellectually shuts down the conversation or any hopes of educating oneself,...any hopes of having a fact-based interaction is nearly hopeless in this situation.

You and I both know we can go into the research from a neuroanatomical, genetic, neurotransmitter perspective,...but with some people,...they are not open to that. Especially, now, and in the US, science has become something to be shunned. I see this on social media responses,..."Your scientists,..." Hmmm,...not "my" scientists,...but clearly you have shown yourself to be an "anti-intellectual",...so I will stop interacting with you right now.

I was not diagnosed until 52,...and my parents are "always right" and "I am their child" and therefore should be seen and not heard,...yeah,...old enough to be a grandfather, myself and yet still a child in their eyes. NO,...they are NOT aware of my diagnosis,...and I have zero intention of bringing it up with them,...it would be met with denial,...and they have already cemented their "moral diagnosis" of me. I have 2 sisters,...one that I have confided in and told her,...and I was immediately hit with "Well, they've got a label for everything these days." She didn't want to hear anything more,...again, the "moral diagnosis" shut down any possible way for her to open up to an intellectual conversation.

So,...I don't know what your situation is here,...but it seems to me you are immersed in a "toxic" household and need to get away from that somehow. I was lucky to simply move out of the house, stop making phone calls, and cancel my social media accounts,...what a relief it is.

I couldn't really make out what was happening in the video.
There's a lot of views of a wall.
A female says (I think).... "What's so funny?" and "Why can't you do it ? "
The rest of the words are not audible.

What is going on in the video?
I have the same questions.

I didn't hear anything particularly disturbing. It does seem like you are eavesdropping a private conversation, which is not ok to do on any circumstances.

Have you thought about moving. Don't have to be far, but sometimes space is needed. Do you believe one of your parents are asd?

You sure that's not your parents denial. You did mention they didn't believe it. Do you think it's because they believe they handled it and so you can? That's why they call it a label. I prefer identifiable over label, but I treat everyone the same. That part of mind would see they're no real label's. Although I wouldn't have said it that way. I would've told you only fail when you quit. You can overcome anything if you believe you can and will.

New Threads

Top Bottom