• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I’m going to lose my job

This is the first step. Coming here and airing out your feelings and realizing your next step. Another approach is to nicely chat with your manager of any lists or task completed ideas that would help him lighten up a little. Maybe assuring him all the engineers are dealt with but depending on their requests regulates the timing of how quickly they can be dealt with. Maybe your boss is a multitasker to the ultimate degree or they believe they can downsize your position in these economic times.

Last edited:
Boy, that sounds like a really difficult position to be in. That loud co-worker who calls you anti-social for not offering a giant "good morning" when walking through the office is, quite frankly, obnoxious and a total pain. I am glad, however, that you do have at least one coworker who knows you, knows you're stressed, and says that he's stressed as well. You have an ally in the workplace who shares a similar experience, at least.

I agree with the suggestions above, nothing really useful to add, just support and solidarity.

I had a supervisor once who refused to give concrete goals for any task, and was so passive in his language about real and urgent problems, that I nearly quit just because of him. Especially since I'd take his "it's sort of urgent" literally and then get reprimanded for not understanding that he meant " it's extremely urgent but I don't know how to be direct."

And having a boss who doesn't even know what your job is while trying to manage you is the worst.

Support and solidarity and lots of empathy.

I understand what you're going through, with regards to co-workers not understanding anything outside of their personal comfort level... The fact is, you cannot change their behavior if you don't have the support from your leadership... And sometimes, those behaviors are rooted so deep inside the person, they are unwilling to change... I say, let them have their own opinions... You don't have to respond to people just because they demand you to... ignore them.... I know, easier said than done...

As to your new boss, it's difficult when you are working in an environment that is supportive and then it suddenly changes... It sounds like your supervisor is only a manger who likes to manage people, not a leader that works with and develops people to be their best... It's also difficult when your company isn't supportive for you either... Your HR dept should be protecting you from discrimination... If you're in the US, there are laws requiring them to do so..

I hope it all works out for you... I would start looking out for other positions, though. Whether inside your current employer, or outside...

Regards,
MLE

Last edited:
Could you humour them, maybe also buy them cake? That's all I ever did in group offices. They like cake.
I'm surprised anyone is working in an office given the global health situation, let alone contemplating sharing food... :eek:

Last edited:
I'm surprised anyone is working in an office given the global health situation, let alone contemplating sharing food... :sick:

I'd hope that the pandemic has all but made so many of those communal office arrangements to have gone the way of the dinosaur. A vaccine for the existing virus won't be a solution to the next lethal virus.

My nephew worked in such an office for years. Now he works from his home, and as far as he has been told by his employers it will be permanent, regardless of how the pandemic is eventually resolved.

No telling how different some more traditional working environments may be in the near future.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom