• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"I picked the wrong thing to be obsessed with!"

Pinky

Have you ever had an obsession sow weird or obscure that you couldnt find any info etc about it?

There's a lot of things I want to collect or buy, but can never find them (or discover its too expensive). I'll spend all this time hunting and researching and then end up with nothing.

I regret loving maps - maps have no use in a developed society with all the built buildings!

I disagree with you on the usefulness of maps (unless you never leave your house, ever).
But regardless, nothing wrong with liking something without any practical use/logic to it, if you enjoy it :)

Maps seem like something that could make for an interesting collection, particularly old or unusual ones. I like really old globes more, though. Globes seem slightly more impractical than a map, honestly. I can't imagine carrying a globe around a big city.

I've had trouble in the past year with being really interested in things that it wasn't so much I couldn't find information on but that nobody else cared about them so I couldn't talk about them at all, like a book series nobody else had read. It's important to me to be able to talk about what I like; otherwise it gets stuck in my head and I get frustrated and lonely. This is why I'm happy thinking about StarCraft 2 a lot, because I can then go talk about it with my clan.

i'm currently into elephants and elephant shaped things. elephants are just kinda cool looking, so far all i got was a bar of soap and a t-pot.
there's sadly a lack of elephant merchandise
except for jewelry interestingly enough

For a long time, I mostly kept my obsessions quiet. It was indeed frustrating. Now I talk about my psychology obsession at times. Half of my family is annoyed; the other half is entertained. I don't usually mention it at work (I'm afraid it could be offensive), although I think about it constantly. Obsessions narrow the range of people I can afford to be spontaneous with. I do have one friend, though, who really appreciates the subject and discussing it regularly. It's a blessing.

Yes.. I had obsessions where there was very little info about it.

Example #1: Water Tank Level
I lived on a place where water wasn't a reliable utility and having a water tank is a must. You must be careful when doing laundry or taking long showers. "Are we on utility water? Or are we using the Water Tank?". I wanted a digital display somewhere in the home that would tell me if we were in tank and how many gallons I had left. I practically lived on the library for a few weeks, learning all the required electronics to built the circuitry and make the sensor myself. People would see me spending hours on end, soldering components, making circuit simulations on a computer... "just walk up to the tank and look at the water level" they said. But I MUST DO THIS i said... lol

Example #2:
Similar thing, I wanted a secondary heater, ceramic one, to be installed on my car. Had to learn about ceramic heaters, power inverters, alternators, deep cycle bateries, etc etc etc... design the whole thing and build it myself. I even learned how to make fiberglass custom car parts to make the housing for the heater parts. I even have some pics:
How to take one of these, rip it's guts, and make it work on a car.

And there's a large list of projects that I want to work on. Most are just waiting for time and funds.

I`m obsessed with locking doors and windows, also making sure the oven is turned off and nothing is on top of it, even though it`s turned off.
I`m obsessed with the order in wich I shower (must wash in a certain order), im also obsessed with routine... if it changes, my world comes to a crashing hult and I forget everything... (I hate that) when my wife and I got married, it took me 7 years to ask her... and when we got pregnent imagine my disorientation... especially since we lost the first one. I still cant forgive myself for that... i keep running it through my head and the thought that blowing on my wife`s stomach was the cause... I will never forgive myself! I obsess absess about that day all the time. I've asked doctors if they can garanty that it was not me that caused the miscariage, and none are able to. They tell me that it is verry unlikely, but it could be the cause, no one will ever know... WELL I KNOW! and I want to take it back!

I appologize for my rant!

A handful of video games, most of which were obscure Japanese titles or were never developed. Same also applies for a few brands of personal computer - some are so obsolete, outdated and hard to find that the information left that does exist usually takes more than just a simple Internet search. I didn't go that far, of course, but you'd be surprised just how much has been forgotten that might appeal to a select group of people who are legitimately interested.

I`m obsessed with locking doors and windows, also making sure the oven is turned off and nothing is on top of it, even though it`s turned off.
I`m obsessed with the order in wich I shower (must wash in a certain order), im also obsessed with routine... if it changes, my world comes to a crashing hult and I forget everything... (I hate that) when my wife and I got married, it took me 7 years to ask her... and when we got pregnent imagine my disorientation... especially since we lost the first one. I still cant forgive myself for that... i keep running it through my head and the thought that blowing on my wife`s stomach was the cause... I will never forgive myself! I obsess absess about that day all the time. I've asked doctors if they can garanty that it was not me that caused the miscariage, and none are able to. They tell me that it is verry unlikely, but it could be the cause, no one will ever know... WELL I KNOW! and I want to take it back!

Blowing just. . . Air?

Christophe, I don't mean to step on your toes here; but you've got to forgive yourself.

Blowing on someone's tummy absolutely does not cause a miscarriage! What a traumatic event to go through - it's perfectly natural that you have to have an explanation. But a miscarriage is actually quite common in a healthy woman - that may sound wrong, but there is no such thing as a perfect uterus in the medical sense. Reproduction, in general, is not perfect. Your doctors may have seemed unsure, but they were probably just taken off guard by how earnest you were about the question. It takes a lot more than blowing kisses to cause a miscarriage and most of the time, it's entirely genetic - no one's fault!

I wish the best for your family!

No need for apologies Christophe, I would highly recommend seeking help, this is a tragic and unfortunate event that is no ones fault. I feel that you may benefit from seeking therapy.

New Threads

Top Bottom