• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I never want to leave the nest

I meant to add a hyphen. Codependent in this sense means I lack the natural ability to support myself. I can't manage things like medicine stock, food supplies, I'm always losing things like money and my phone, it'd be too stressful.

You may be short-selling yourself in having an expectation that supporting one's self comes "naturally".

-It doesn't.

It's a learning process that often occurs incrementally with time and experience. Not any form of osmosis. Where a key element to continue to succeed is on your ability to learn from your failures, and hopefully no more than one at a time in the process.

Probably not much different than becoming a parent.

Look, I appreciate the help. From all of you. I really do. Not many people are willing to speak up for that kind of thing.

But I do not plan on living on my own.

It's not just that I wouldn't know how to survive, but that I wouldn't be able to cope with it either. Waking up every day to realize that I'm the only one in the house and that Maddog, my mother and sister won't be there to tell me good morning, that nobody would be there to ask me how do I do a specific kind of glitch in a Pokemon game?

It would just remind me that we are all alone in this world, and I'm one of those people.

The sooner we realize as a human race that nothing about Earth will ever change at all, the better.

I don't see anything wrong with never living on your own. I think a lot of people do that, some cultures only moving out once married.

Last edited:
It's not just that I wouldn't know how to survive, but that I wouldn't be able to cope with it either. Waking up every day to realize that I'm the only one in the house and that Maddog, my mother and sister won't be there to tell me good morning
That is what I am going through.
A feeling of lost, no sense of home, alone, desire for the waking up knowing you ARE HOME.
You do have someone you know loves you and shows it.
People you can be comfortable around without that uncomforable feeling that the rest of the world
gives you. That you always need to be thinking of how to mask for the day.
I get it.
That's exactly how I felt about my Mom.
I too called it codependent because she supplied me with the emotional fulfilment of someone whom
I could truly trust and felt like half of me. Never alone in the world of people.
She said I always filled that for her also.
Add the fact I never knew bonding friendships, asexual, never had the calling to have children.
So why would I want to leave home?

I felt I could never stand the being alone and only me to care for me.
Now I have to and I'm not thriving.
I'm with your thinking @UberScout , go for the happiness as long as you can.
Time may change things, for better or worse. Live for the now.

"It is an emotional and behavioral condition that affects an individual's ability to have a healthy, mutually satisfying relationship. It is also known as “relationship addiction” because people with codependency often form or maintain relationships that are one-sided, emotionally destructive and/or abusive."

Unless I'm missing something vital here, it sounds like the both of you are simply describing Love, and you're truly blessed to have/had people with which you share/shared that connection. It's very common to struggle when that person, or those people, are no longer around.

I believe co-dependency is in a different direction, though. My grandmother had a codependent relationship with her children. When her kids all married and moved out, she committed suicide.

New Threads

Top Bottom