• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need a muse i guess

Drew

A few years ago I wrote a book with my best friend, it got published but later on we found that the publisher was lying about book sales and the like, subsequently we made no money from the book at all.
Back story aside, I lost the will to write anymore and I have to be honest the book was rather quite good... It was the first book of five; the second book was almost complete too but again I lost all will to deliver more books.

My big question here is, how do I get back the focus I lost.?
How can I concentrate on something that requires so much mental effort.?
And how do I stop publishers from robbing me blind.?

The book I co-authored was called Alf The Dwarf Sorcerer.
Its currently out of print and to be honest until I can sort out my mind it will probably stay that way.

I don't want to sound like a downer, but, in my opinion, if you can't stand living without writing, if it doesn't burst out of you, if you can't stop thinking about it - only then do it. Maybe you should switch to something else, at least for a little while.
If it's simply a self - organization issue, you can try to schedule writings every day. Let's say you decide to write every day at x o'clock. Even if you don't feel like writing, even if nothing good comes out - keep doing it. Eventually you might be able to get back on track.
As for publishers - do your research 1st, there's some websites, like sitejabber.com have reviews of publishers. Ask around which publisher is the best. I heard a lot of good things about amazon publishing, they have many options available. A friend of mine published 2 books with them and was very happy with the outcome.
Sometimes all you have to do is to start doing something consistently, even if you have to force yourself to do it at 1st.

Its self organisation and motivation to be honest I seem to lack both for most things....

I think you should write a little bit every day, when you wake up, and just see what happens. [But the word 'should' is a dangerous one, so please read it with a healthy skepticism.)

Aye, self-publish. Pay for an ISBN and you can sell it in bookstores too. Might want to brush up on your marketing skills though, advertising is a pain in the butt. Unless you can impress a company like TOR, they should be a reliable publisher.

Just ease back into the creative process. Push too hard too fast and you risk burnout rather quickly.

As someone who has been stumbling around museless for some time now, I can sympathize. Epath has said it quite well, if it isn't bursting out of you, you can just try to put your energy elsewhere for a while. Maybe you could start with something different and try the self publishing route just to get a feel for it.

Good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom