• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have to give up my maths course, because I have a learning disability!

Is it possible to ask for extra support on the course? I know in some places they offer extra lunchtime classes or you can go to workshops to help improve skills like maths.

Is it possible to ask for extra support on the course? I know in some places they offer extra lunchtime classes or you can go to workshops to help improve skills like maths.

Possibly, but I'm restricted on time because I have to get back for my 14.00 carer so I'm always clock watching even though I leave at 12 PM and go straight for the Tram.

Possibly, but I'm restricted on time because I have to get back for my 14.00 carer so I'm always clock watching even though I leave at 12 PM and go straight for the Tram.
You should contact student support and explain the situation to them, then see what they offer in terms of support. You might have to do slightly different scheduling, but you might not. It's worth a try.

You really should go talk to student support services to see if there's any way they can work with your schedule. Getting extra help can make a huge difference. I work with a lot of students in my tutoring business who think they'll never understand anything because the class confuses them too much, but once someone can help them outside of class they get much better. It's easy to assume that there's no way you can make it work, but there's more help available than there was the last time you were in school and it may solve your whole problem with the class. It's worth trying.

You really should go talk to student support services to see if there's any way they can work with your schedule. Getting extra help can make a huge difference. I work with a lot of students in my tutoring business who think they'll never understand anything because the class confuses them too much, but once someone can help them outside of class they get much better. It's easy to assume that there's no way you can make it work, but there's more help available than there was the last time you were in school and it may solve your whole problem with the class. It's worth trying.

It's not that kind of College, it's The Source Skills Academy - Sheffield.

I have had severe problems with math since 4th grade. From my experiences trying to develop mathematical skills, which I haven't been able to do, I discovered that my own way of thinking got in the way. I never knew to identify ways to use formulas, or rules, to solve even long division with percentages. When posed with a math problem, I give up because I never know how to get started. When you fail enough times, you easily convince yourself that it's a lost cause. I don't need to use math these days beyond up and down, but I agree with what Judge explained about thinking skills. It leaves a challenge, but still worth pursuing.

I've always been exceptionally terrible at math. I was placed in a course called Math Applications in high school after my trigonometry teacher noticed how horribly I struggled with equations and formulas. That kind of stuff never clicked with me.

My friends always called me a "Mathalete" and always did well in science. While I shined in those subjects I am horrible at spelling and history. If it weren't for spell check or auto correct over half the words I type would be wrong. There might be one thing that could help you with algebra is remembering the order of operation PEMDAS (Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication/Division Addition/Subtraction) and anything you do on one side of an equation must be done on the other. Hope this is some help.

Of course using any tutoring resources on line, or preferably at school are the best courses of action, but there is nothing to lose by having Mr. Allen post a specific problem he is struggling with, and have someone here verbalize the thought processes used to achieve the answer.
Mr. Allen is under no pressure to understand these processes, and he can examine them at his leisure without time constraints.
The absolute worst thing that could happen is he would not understand it, but since he does not understand it now, what is there to lose?
In fact, it is possible that those who are only average in math might be able to help him the best, since their explanations would be less likely to go over his head, and would require more introspection than someone whose math skills are 2nd nature.

It's not that kind of College, it's The Source Skills Academy - Sheffield.
So do they not have any extra support for students there? If there's no way for you to get help in person, then I agree with other people's suggestion of posting a specific problem online to see if anyone can help. I've tutored some students who were learning ratios and I'm sure other people have helpful advice for solving them too. Sometimes people just need to see it explained in a different way or have someone to answer their questions. You don't have to though. I hope I don't seem like I'm trying to push you into doing something you don't want to do. Part of my job is helping people find solutions to problems related to their disabilities or other challenges, and it can spill over into everyday interactions. I can get a little too enthusiastic about it and seem like I'm pressuring someone or like I think I have all the answers. I don't have all the answers, I just have suggestions and encouragement for things people can try.

Following a meeting with the tutor this morning, I'm now staying on the course with a view to doing a test as soon as next week for a level 1 certificate in maths.

I'm doing a formal maths exam in 2 weeks, they wanted me to do it next week and stay in the afternoon but it's too short notice to cancel my afternoon carer, so I asked for it for the week after to give the required 2 weeks notice.

New Threads

Top Bottom