• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have a gifted baby

Well, autism is known to be genetic, but it is thought to be caused by certain clusters of genes rather than any one specific gene, so usually it is not something that you can peg to one parent or the other. Of course, that is my limited understanding of the current medical understanding.

Also, "syndrome" is itself a work describing an array of conditions/issues. It might be that she gets some from you but not enough to really meet the diagnostic criteria of the syndrome. Some people have some of the issues associated with autism but are otherwise NT.

I wouldn't worry about it, though, as it really is just about how your child's brain is wired. There is nothing wrong with being on the spectrum.

I wonder if anyone has considered that we might be missing a few. If there are sensory filter genes, I reasonably sure I missed out on them.

I would like to add that if autism is genetic, it doesn't necessarily mean an autistic person either has certain genes, or doesn't have certain genes. It could be a matter of gene expression, that is, a matter of which genes are, expressed-turned "on" and which are turned "off".

Does anyone else have "gifted" or "advanced" children??

I brought my little princess in to the doctors to get a rash looked at. I asked the doctor how she should be doing developmentally and what types of things should I be expecting from her. As he was saying this he saw my look of surprise and he asked if I had any concerns. I told him that the milestones he described I had noticed long time ago. I then asked how many words should she be saying and recognizing and he said that she should have none. So I told him that she was clapping and waving now as well and he looked shocked. As young parents I could tell that he didn't expect this out of us...

So my seven month old is apparently at a ten month old level.

She claps and waves and PLAYS with the cats!!

She says mama, dada, baba, yay, and hi!!!

She has no interest in toys that are meant for the 6-9 month development and all of the toys she loves are from the toddler isle and are 12-36 months.

However I have found her some "friends" that are her age and they are so interested in her but she acts like they aren't even there!!!

I have told her pediatrician my thoughts on having a family of aspies but they told me that I wouldn't be able to know or have her tested until she was three years.

I am wondering if I have passed to her my syndrome. I just want to know how to ensure her social development so she doesn't go through all of the torment and depression that I have.

I would love any feedback or links because I can not find anything!!!

Thanks everyone :)View attachment 12707
Do not listen to the doctor insist on having her tested at one and two years any benefits relating to early child education stops at age 3 and some kids appear fine then about 2 or 3 go completely autistic they go from being a nt kid to being mostly non verbal recessed child

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to brag, just thought it might help you to know folks on here like Ereth and I have been where your child is heading.
I didn't think you were barging I think that is amazing :) Public schools swept me into all of the lower tier classes and I never could pay attention for that reason. I always did adequately but was in all advanced English and science courses? I never got the guidance or confidence to use my gifts until now, which is why I want to steer my angel in the right direction!!

Well, autism is known to be genetic, but it is thought to be caused by certain clusters of genes rather than any one specific gene, so usually it is not something that you can peg to one parent or the other. Of course, that is my limited understanding of the current medical understanding.

Also, "syndrome" is itself a work describing an array of conditions/issues. It might be that she gets some from you but not enough to really meet the diagnostic criteria of the syndrome. Some people have some of the issues associated with autism but are otherwise NT.

I wouldn't worry about it, though, as it really is just about how your child's brain is wired. There is nothing wrong with being on the spectrum.

I'm not really worried about whether she has it. I'm more worried that if she does that I can offer the proper support and guidance ❤️ I absolutely don't see anything wrong with being on the spectrum. We all have very special traits and strengths that make us a very strong part of society and even more so if we can figure it out early enough. I finally came out with it to my mom who is in denial. She agreed that I seemed very unique growing up and had wondered what it may be but just decided that I have ADD. Although she is a nurse she doesn't have a realistic view on what autism really is :/ I think that I have very strong aspie genes because I now know for a fact that my uncle on my fathers side and his son have it, they both have IQs in the range of 150-160 (I'm not basing it on that alone!) and I know from my fathers behavior that his is very much an aspie (doesn't know it yet) and has been suffering from a lifetime of misdiagnosis (ADD, Bi-Polar and Depression). On the other side there is my grandfather who also has "typical" aspie traits and my mother who shares all of the same traits as myself.

Do not listen to the doctor insist on having her tested at one and two years any benefits relating to early child education stops at age 3 and some kids appear fine then about 2 or 3 go completely autistic they go from being a nt kid to being mostly non verbal recessed child
Yes I agree! I've learned very fast that the doctors around my area are not equipped to properly diagnose or treat ASD. I went in last month to talk with a "professional" about it and she isn't convinced. She attributed my characteristics to having childhood and adolescent trauma and blamed my social alienation on ADD. She read off a check list of maybe five things and said my symptoms weren't severe enough to fit the new criteria. I guess she doesn't understand that some women with ASD mimic to get along in life as "normal" as they can.

My problem in school was that allegedly at age 6 I tested as though I were age 8. So everyone expected a lot of me. I kept getting comments on my report cards that "he is so bright, but he needs to apply himself more" because people weren't aware of my AS (assuming I actually am, I am not officially diagnosed). So, I went through school with this pressure from parents and teachers that "we know you can do better than this, someone as smart as you should be making straight A's." So I go along with some feeling of inadequacy because I am not getting A's but they keep telling me I'm smart. What the heck is wrong with me?

Mind you, I tended to get A's and C's, or A's and D's. I wasn't a B student or a C student. I was an A+ student in things that I enjoyed, but squeaked by in things I didn't. Which is typical of some Aspies, and certainly of me. I definitely fit the bill of the "little professor." I used to read the dictionary for fun. I had an exceptional vocabulary as a child. I was good at math and science, didn't really care much for social studies. I would ace tests based on classroom material, but I was bad about not finishing reading assignments and homework. Term papers were a death sentence. There was a college class that I took that I had straight As on all of the tests, the midterm, and the final, but never did the term paper so I got a D.

In high school I was in the advanced placement calculus and physics classes. I enjoyed English classes but due to having to read books (deadlines) and papers (deadlines) didn't do quite as well, though my SAT scores were very high on the verbal (higher than math, actually).

I don't know if things would have been different in the 60s (which is when I was in grade school) but if we had known then that I had AS (which was not a diagnosis at the time) and had known the implications I might have been able to try different strategies, or things like my parents sitting with me while I did homework in front of them until it was a habit, rather than them assuming that I was doing it because I was getting OK grades, and getting away with it because I was smart enough to get by.

Hi I'm an aspie but did not know till recently. My 10 year old daughter was talking very well at 2 years old, reading at 4 and now has the vocabulary of an adult and a reading level of a 16 year old. She struggles in school despite this gift socially as she is an aspie she also struggles to dress and tie her shoes, meanwhile my 6 year old aspie daughter is struggling to read and had speech therapy as a toddler but was dressing herself and can tie her shoes. Not sure if this is of any help but everyone is different and I guess only time will tell. You know the signs to look for to know if your daughter has inherited anything from you. I unfortunately only discovered aspergers when my children were 4 and 8. You and your beautiful girl enjoy this time, my babies are growing up too quick xx

Thank you! Haha in that picture we were trying to make her look like baby Einstein!
I can totally see that!
She's adorable.
I spoke at an early age and was rather gifted. My mother claims I spoke in sentences at the age of one, though I've always suspected she's exaggerating. I'm not an Aspie, as far as I know anyway.

I'm not really worried about whether she has it. I'm more worried that if she does that I can offer the proper support and guidance ❤️
I'm sure no matter what happens regarding the ASD question, you'll continue to be a great mom. Your little one wouldn't look so happy and healthy if you weren't doing well so far.

I know from my fathers behavior that his is very much an aspie (doesn't know it yet) and has been suffering from a lifetime of misdiagnosis (ADD, Bi-Polar and Depression).
Your father could always have ASD, depression, and ADD. Quite a few things are comorbid with autism. (Bipolar disorder is an antiquated term for manic depression.)

Super cute picture. You may want to look into baby signs, or sign language. Also there are a number of learning opportunities for baby's. As far as the social part goes, just knowing and understanding that, and how she is different will make a huge difference.

Super cute picture. You may want to look into baby signs, or sign language. Also there are a number of learning opportunities for baby's. As far as the social part goes, just knowing and understanding that, and how she is different will make a huge difference.
Thank you very much! I will look into that! She signs for milk she says baba and if you say no she shakes her head!!!

I am thinking about starting a blog with all of her milestones in video! I am sure everyone would love to see her playing with the kitties ❤️

My problem in school was that allegedly at age 6 I tested as though I were age 8. So everyone expected a lot of me. I kept getting comments on my report cards that "he is so bright, but he needs to apply himself more" because people weren't aware of my AS (assuming I actually am, I am not officially diagnosed). So, I went through school with this pressure from parents and teachers that "we know you can do better than this, someone as smart as you should be making straight A's." So I go along with some feeling of inadequacy because I am not getting A's but they keep telling me I'm smart. What the heck is wrong with me?

Mind you, I tended to get A's and C's, or A's and D's. I wasn't a B student or a C student. I was an A+ student in things that I enjoyed, but squeaked by in things I didn't. Which is typical of some Aspies, and certainly of me. I definitely fit the bill of the "little professor." I used to read the dictionary for fun. I had an exceptional vocabulary as a child. I was good at math and science, didn't really care much for social studies. I would ace tests based on classroom material, but I was bad about not finishing reading assignments and homework. Term papers were a death sentence. There was a college class that I took that I had straight As on all of the tests, the midterm, and the final, but never did the term paper so I got a D.

In high school I was in the advanced placement calculus and physics classes. I enjoyed English classes but due to having to read books (deadlines) and papers (deadlines) didn't do quite as well, though my SAT scores were very high on the verbal (higher than math, actually).

I don't know if things would have been different in the 60s (which is when I was in grade school) but if we had known then that I had AS (which was not a diagnosis at the time) and had known the implications I might have been able to try different strategies, or things like my parents sitting with me while I did homework in front of them until it was a habit, rather than them assuming that I was doing it because I was getting OK grades, and getting away with it because I was smart enough to get by.

You seriously just described my entire educational career. Only thing different about me is that math is very difficult for me. Dyscalculia?!? I also am not officially diagnosed yet but I am looking into real educated professionals instead of my local inexperienced ones who made me feel like I wanted to be labeled as autistic.

I just want to grow in ways I haven't be able to.. Wow I can't believe the resemblance in our educational lives. Even when you were saying about how people called you smart and expected a lot out of you! My uncle who had children of his own, pulled my mom aside and told her that I am a very intelligent girl (when I was around 3). I always felt like I was I fact dumb and people tried to boost me up by lying to me and saying I was smart. My mother also never sat down with me and my school work and I wonder if that would have worked since I am so resistant to someone setting a schedule or routine for me.

I would like to contact my closest teachers and talk with them about what I have found out about myself and see what they can add or think.

Hi I'm an aspie but did not know till recently. My 10 year old daughter was talking very well at 2 years old, reading at 4 and now has the vocabulary of an adult and a reading level of a 16 year old. She struggles in school despite this gift socially as she is an aspie she also struggles to dress and tie her shoes, meanwhile my 6 year old aspie daughter is struggling to read and had speech therapy as a toddler but was dressing herself and can tie her shoes. Not sure if this is of any help but everyone is different and I guess only time will tell. You know the signs to look for to know if your daughter has inherited anything from you. I unfortunately only discovered aspergers when my children were 4 and 8. You and your beautiful girl enjoy this time, my babies are growing up too quick xx

I strongly believe that it's better late then ever. I am so thankful that I unraveled this huge mystery in my life and even more so thankful that I was able to figure it out myself and on my own terms. I am trying to enjoy my little one but she is just growing before my eyes! I just want to pause time and just enjoy life at this moment with her. I saw her next to a newborn yesterday and almost cried at what seven months did to my little nugget!!!! It's so beautiful and sad at the same time! Oh the range of emotions.

I think it's awesome that your daughters have almost opposite strengths and weaknesses. I think that they may actually learn a whole lot from each other and benefit in a huge way from having each other and a mommy who can guide and teach :)

I'm sure no matter what happens regarding the ASD question, you'll continue to be a great mom. Your little one wouldn't look so happy and healthy if you weren't doing well so far.

Your father could always have ASD, depression, and ADD. Quite a few things are comorbid with autism. (Bipolar disorder is an antiquated term for manic depression.)
Thank you! I really appreciate that ❤️

New Threads

Top Bottom