• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate winter poll!

Is winter the worst season?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters
I have always liked winter but in the past few years I have found myself dreaming of warmer places. It's the lack of light that really gets to me, yesterday it started getting dark around 3pm. Too much darkness.

This is why Norway was the biggest exporter of black metal in the world for so long. We're sitting here in cold darkness day after day, of course we start screaming, paint ourselves with corpse paint and worship satan. :) It's only natural. It's inevitable.

This is what happens when you experience too much nordic winter:

1670324151360.png1670324318741.png

Last edited:
Here's a quirky thought for some of you - in the tropics you get 2 longest days of the year.

Darwin is ~12 degrees from the equator, in early November the sun moves directly over head and from then on is south of you. Then in February the sun is directly overhead again on it's path north.

So 2 longest days of the year but only 1 shortest one.
See Sunrise and sunset times in Darwin, June 2022
Your longest day is Dec 22, with 12:51:44, and your shortest day is June 21, with 11:23:31. What you do have is two days when the sun gets as high as it can, and one where noon is as low as it gets. On the longest day here, 53 deg N, sunrise and sunset are NE and NW, not E and W. At midnight, the sun's glow is still visible to the North, To make the day long, the sun spends a lot of time in both the southern and northern sky.

For any lover of seasons, how could one possibly despise winter?

Here in New England, it is a transitional phase, one of four. It is always passing and changing, so within one winter, there are so many different phases…

The beautiful beginning when everything is enchanting in it’s frozenness, and then the long slog through a season of snow and ice which quiets many of the difficult things about warmer weather… Ticks, poison ivy, other biting insects.

As the snow slowly stops falling, the green things emerge, having slumbered through the winter and now getting all they need to drink from the snowmelt. The icy rivers begin to flow again and abundant life is restored.

In New England, we cannot have spring without winter, and subsequently no summer or fall thereafter if winter does not perpetuate the cycle.

There is beauty in Lady Winter’s presence, though she is s fierce one, indeed.

1670326860698.jpeg

This is why Norway was the biggest exporter of black metal in the world for so long.
Norway is also great for prog rock. So many good bands from Norway: Tusmorke, Wobbler, Gazpacho, Jordsjo, Major Parkinson, Motorpsycho, Arabs in Aspic, Kerrs Pink, Needlepoint, Shamblemaths, Ring van Mobius... maybe long winters aren't such a bad thing after all.

I love winter. Probably because in the deep south with 100+ degree humid summers, I'd rather be cold than hot and sweaty. And our days aren't quite as short as up north.

For the record, right now we're in the middle of a warm spell.. 80 degrees for the rest of the week.

I'm in the deep south and totally agree with you. I can always put on more clothes to stay warm but I cannot take off all clothes to stay cool.

Winter in the southeast (US) is really the only good time here. No snow, milder weather, and no thunderstorms
Hello fellow Southerner.

I think the only way to like a summer here is to grow a big garden or something that needs hot weather. Otherwise I would actually prefer to have been born a Vermonter. If there's one thing that they have up north which is nice, it's cooler springtime.

Now I do like snow, though, and would actually enjoy living in a colder state.

I'm in the deep south and totally agree with you. I can always put on more clothes to stay warm but I cannot take off all clothes to stay cool.
It's 80F with 95% humidity right now.. does not feel like December at all. Gotta love/hate deep south weather lol

Edit: Found out that we broke warmest Dec day on record yesterday in our area.

Last edited:
I like living in a venue (Northern Nevada) with all four seasons being visually prominent. I just don't like driving in the snow or in blizzard conditions.

In the SF Bay Area I had only blistering hot summers and fall. Of course in working in downtown SF for so many years, sometimes the summer could be nastier than fall weather. Then commuting home to a microclimate (Diablo Valley) that could be hotter than many deserts. Go figure.

Typical winter in the high desert:

Winter.jpg

Last edited:
My favourite season is spring, but prefer winter over summer.

I take vitamin d, because I cannot cope with the sun, due to sensory issues and thus, am in indoor person.

These days are way too short. I need sunshine to function. I am depressed due to cold icy weather and lack of sunshine.

Winter sucks.

So I created a poll about it.
I love winter. I love the snow and how it looks around the area. I even enjoy some winter activities. =D

For any lover of seasons, how could one possibly despise winter?

Here in New England, it is a transitional phase, one of four. It is always passing and changing, so within one winter, there are so many different phases…

The beautiful beginning when everything is enchanting in it’s frozenness, and then the long slog through a season of snow and ice which quiets many of the difficult things about warmer weather… Ticks, poison ivy, other biting insects.

As the snow slowly stops falling, the green things emerge, having slumbered through the winter and now getting all they need to drink from the snowmelt. The icy rivers begin to flow again and abundant life is restored.

In New England, we cannot have spring without winter, and subsequently no summer or fall thereafter if winter does not perpetuate the cycle.

There is beauty in Lady Winter’s presence, though she is s fierce one, indeed.

View attachment 90738
Well written and a lovely picture.

I love winter! I enjoy the texture of snow on landscape, urban and prairies, and mountains... I always think in photography speak of course :rolleyes:

The famous Lake Louise, but a winter scene (no Victoria Glacier, that darn fog :p) , I love the mood of this photo... That morning I had a great walk and lots of fun...

Ice Magic 01.jpg

An urban evening, snowfall, I love going for a walk in this kind of weather, and I love the winter mood!

Soft Focus 01.jpg

Last edited:
The question is geographically dependent. In SoCal, summer is Hell. Three months in which temperatures hit 40C regularly and 35C daily almost without exception. No water anywhere. Massive electrical bills from air conditioning running all day and most of the night. I'm not even in one of the hotter areas.

The days may be shorter, but at least it isn't so hot you can't get outside and be active while the sun is out. And after many months of blank featureless sky, clouds and the patter of rain are beautiful!

I love days without sunshine!

Then move to Prince Rupert on the Canadian west coast :cool: ...

Then move to Prince Rupert on the Canadian west coast :cool: ...

The wettest and cloudiest city in Canada. Sounds a little dreary. :)
"Pack your umbrellas and leave the sunblock at home kids, this year we're going to Prince Rupert on vacation! :D"

I like living in a venue (Northern Nevada) with all four seasons being visually prominent. I just don't like driving in the snow or in blizzard conditions.

In the SF Bay Area I had only blistering hot summers and fall. Of course in working in downtown SF for so many years, sometimes the summer could be nastier than fall weather. Then commuting home to a microclimate (Diablo Valley) that could be hotter than many deserts. Go figure.

Typical winter in the high desert:

View attachment 90750
I miss snow.

New Threads

Top Bottom