• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate it when I make a long post...

Lemon Zing

I then see unhelpful replies, or people asking me questions that I covered in prior posts.

Sigh.

Forums, for me at least, are dead now!

Some people don't do well with long posts

I can admit I don't do well with them, I easily forget what I have read at the top part and middle part by the time I get to the bottom part

Basically, people slandered me on Facebook 'behind the scenes' (I had somebody admitting that) and I'm also *HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS* that I had my speaking part cut in a feature film I was in, because these morons had said things to the director (who is a pastor).

Apart from that, I have like 6281 boring charges on my record because of these ex support people who sold me out several years ago. I'm obviously exaggerating in a sarcastic manner with that number here, but it's still true enough.

I'm totally finished with social services now because they've never helped me. Those charges may not be expunged until they are spent after 5 years, but that's years away.

Yeah, but if you don't give them the full story, people ask you for the story. I guess you cannot win! It's either "too long, didn't read" or like the robot Johnny 5, they need more input. Either way, I just asked for advice on a film forum, and got a dumb response...

;)

It's better to keep your post as concise and clear as possible. People are overwhelmed by long posts, especially if it is presented as a paragraphless wall of text (not saying you do this, but I see a lot of it around) and don't read, or they are too busy/lazy to read. Posts are more likely to be read and responded to if they are:

1. Short and concise, to the point.
2. Clear, plainspeak (no flowery, meandering, wandering, metaphors, etc.).
3. Have a question or obvious purpose, rather than just an opinion (edit: or statement). Give the reader something concrete to grasp. Communicate directly the purpose of the post.
4. Have good, appropiate punctuation, spelling and grammar (if people struggle to understand it, they might just give up).
5. Well presented - with clear paragraphs or bullet points.
6. Written at the weekend. Or possibly Thursday afternoon :)

Last edited:
At least this forum doesn't "time out" when you're writing said long post, I've posted on other forums that do, and it's rather annoying, the only solution is before the forum times out, copy what you're posting, and then when the forum times back in, paste your content into a new topic.

Long posts are difficult for many people. Among other things they don't have time and just are dropping in to see whats going on quickly. Your best chance at responses is to just give a summary of the key issue. I myself almost never read long posts. It would have to be something really different, like a alien abduction story to catch my attention that long.

Short and succinct does it...

...did I just contradict myself?

No, but really, keep it as short and clear as possible. If you can avoid posting a master's thesis as your first response, all the better.

Last edited:
Sometimes a long post is the only way to get something said. But I would say that since I'm famed everywhere for long posts!

I guess advertising or flaming of any sort isn't allowed on here. My original rant was basically about these film people who blackballed me.

Basically, people slandered me on Facebook 'behind the scenes' (I had somebody admitting that) and I'm also *HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS* that I had my speaking part cut in a feature film I was in, because these morons had said things to the director (who is a pastor).

Apart from that, I have like 6281 boring charges on my record because of these ex support people who sold me out several years ago. I'm obviously exaggerating in a sarcastic manner with that number here, but it's still true enough.

I'm totally finished with social services now because they've never helped me. Those charges may not be expunged until they are spent after 5 years, but that's years away.

We “support people” are mandated by law. If we do not report unacceptable or illegal behaviors, we can be fined, prosecuted by law, and lose our jobs. No one “sold you out.”

There should be a 'remember me' option. This keeps you logged in until you flush the cookies. Just to be sure that there's not a technical hiccup, I always use the copy feature and re-read the post for spelling errors before I press the 'post reply' button. It's easy to miss something if it's a long post, and sometimes I hate writing a lengthy message that may be lost if I don't remember to save it. In the past, having to log back in and use the back button used to lead to a white screen.

This was in response to Allan. The quote hasn't appeared.

New Threads

Top Bottom