• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I got to see Temple Grandin!

jbalka

Just wanted to post this in a place where people would know who she is :)

Anyways, she gave a free talk at the university where my husband works, so I went on campus with him today to see her. She gave a really interesting talk about educating kids on the spectrum and off, and I loved how she mostly shut down the education-type people who wanted to ask her vague questions about online learning or video game addiction. I know there are mixed opinions of her in the aspie/autistic community, and I don't agree with everything she says, but she's a really interesting person! Didn't get to meet her or anything, but still, a really cool experience.

Have any of you read her books or found them useful? I've read part of her memoir, Thinking in Pictures, but her other books haven't captured my interest in terms of content. Then again, I'm more interested in memoirs/biographies of people on the spectrum.

Cool beans for you!
I got a telephone call from Dr. Grandin a few years ago...I too think in pictures :)

I never met her. I would like to because she annoys me now and I would like to know her as a person so she does NOT annoy me.

She annoys me because of things not really her fault, like the whole world thinks you are her when you said you are autistic and can talk. Then they think you can go change the world.

I also feel sad about the thing with cows. yes, I KNOW it was to help them, but it is still about killing cows. I saw the Meatrix and read a lot of books about what htey do to cows. I will never eat a cow again after Meatrix.

Cool beans for you!
I got a telephone call from Dr. Grandin a few years ago...I too think in pictures :)

Nitro- can you go into more detail? What did she say? I wuold love to know more!!

I almost blew her off at first. Thought she was a telemarketer and got sirly with her until she told me her name. We discussed my condition for most of the conversation and she recommended reading her books. Temple is actually an animal behaviorist at heart,using her abilities of the power of observation to place herself in the mindset of cattle.In order to work with the cattle,she became the cattle in a certain sense.
She probably rubs some people the wrong way because they fail to see that in many cases,she is spot on in what she says and thinks.
As far as you not wanting to eat beef,have you ever seen the way they keep other livestock? Not a pretty sight ;)

Just wanted to post this in a place where people would know who she is :)

Anyways, she gave a free talk at the university where my husband works, so I went on campus with him today to see her. She gave a really interesting talk about educating kids on the spectrum and off, and I loved how she mostly shut down the education-type people who wanted to ask her vague questions about online learning or video game addiction. I know there are mixed opinions of her in the aspie/autistic community, and I don't agree with everything she says, but she's a really interesting person! Didn't get to meet her or anything, but still, a really cool experience.

Have any of you read her books or found them useful? I've read part of her memoir, Thinking in Pictures, but her other books haven't captured my interest in terms of content. Then again, I'm more interested in memoirs/biographies of people on the spectrum.
wow,awesome im glad for you she is one of my favourite famous auties.
i think regardless of what people think of her,like you said she is an interesting person,i relate to her a lot because she is very old fashioned and mannerly,i was brought up the same way like her mum brought her up.
id love to see one of her talks,i missed out on one in the UK because a manager of the support company im under forgot to tell me she had gotten tickets and i could have gone with her.

thinking in pictures is one of my favourite books.

I never met her. I would like to because she annoys me now and I would like to know her as a person so she does NOT annoy me.

She annoys me because of things not really her fault, like the whole world thinks you are her when you said you are autistic and can talk. Then they think you can go change the world.

I also feel sad about the thing with cows. yes, I KNOW it was to help them, but it is still about killing cows. I saw the Meatrix and read a lot of books about what htey do to cows. I will never eat a cow again after Meatrix.

I agree with you on those things! It's kind of odd how she kind of represents autism when she's just one well-known person. She's very job and output oriented-- I like to think that life is more than our careers, but that has been huge in her life. I don't agree with her views on things like the evil of video games or some other things. That being said, hearing her speak in person puts those things into perspective (like the fact that she's forty years older than me!), and I liked seeing my thought-processes echoed in her!

wow,awesome im glad for you she is one of my favourite famous auties.
i think regardless of what people think of her,like you said she is an interesting person,i relate to her a lot because she is very old fashioned and mannerly,i was brought up the same way like her mum brought her up.
id love to see one of her talks,i missed out on one in the UK because a manager of the support company im under forgot to tell me she had gotten tickets and i could have gone with her.

thinking in pictures is one of my favourite books.

Thanks! I'm sorry you didn't get to go. I think she likes the area I live in (I live in California...) because she came last year and gave a big presentation that cost too much for me. I was really surprised when my husband told me she was going to be coming for a free talk at the university. The Science Graduate Diversity club (or something) brought her in. I hope you have another chance to see her!

I almost blew her off at first. Thought she was a telemarketer and got sirly with her until she told me her name. We discussed my condition for most of the conversation and she recommended reading her books. Temple is actually an animal behaviorist at heart,using her abilities of the power of observation to place herself in the mindset of cattle.In order to work with the cattle,she became the cattle in a certain sense.
She probably rubs some people the wrong way because they fail to see that in many cases,she is spot on in what she says and thinks.
As far as you not wanting to eat beef,have you ever seen the way they keep other livestock? Not a pretty sight ;)

That's amazing you got to speak with her! Does that mean you were featured in one of her books? And yeah, she's a very blunt person about what she thinks :)

That's amazing you got to speak with her! Does that mean you were featured in one of her books? And yeah, she's a very blunt person about what she thinks :)
No,I'm not featured in any of her books,but it was uber cool to get a returned call from a rockstar of the autism spectrum. I tracked her down to the university and left a message with her assistant because Dr. Grandin was on a speaking tour,and she took the time out of her day to call me back when she was home again,so that kind of made it extra special :)

No,I'm not featured in any of her books,but it was uber cool to get a returned call from a rockstar of the autism spectrum. I tracked her down to the university and left a message with her assistant because Dr. Grandin was on a speaking tour,and she took the time out of her day to call me back when she was home again,so that kind of made it extra special :)

Wow-- that's even cooler! She seems like a very nice person.

New Threads

Top Bottom