• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I got drunk for the first time..

I don't think I've ever been fully drunk. A few times I've had enough alcohol to get kind of sleepy, but that's it. I'd rather drink coffee and be awake.

Some months ago I had a chocolate cherry martini. Delicious, but I had to toss half of it away because I had gotten a bit tipsy. A little trouble walking, slight dizziness/ lightheadedness. I was mostly sober again by the time we got back to the car (someone else was driving) but even though it wasn't the worst experience, I don't really want to go that far again; I'd rather stay in control of my body and keep my senses sharp.

So right! Some people take advantage of drunk people in horrible ways. Oh, by the way. Do not buy the argument that alcoholism is a disease or illness. No, it is a choice & very narcissistic in nature - manipulating others to get one's way. I get the same way with certain Xmas fare, like Rum Balls - just asking for trouble because I like the taste of coconut. My father died when I was 16 from a massive stroke brought on by drinking excessively. Finding a dead person at that age is not nice.

So right! Some people take advantage of drunk people in horrible ways. Oh, by the way. Do not buy the argument that alcoholism is a disease or illness. No, it is a choice & very narcissistic in nature - manipulating others to get one's way. I get the same way with certain Xmas fare, like Rum Balls - just asking for trouble because I like the taste of coconut. My father died when I was 16 from a massive stroke brought on by drinking excessively. Finding a dead person at that age is not nice.
No alcoholism is a disease. I don't agree. Narcissistic is a strong term. I don't really think such a thing could apply to most with AUD.

I would suggest you visit YouTube & look at Sam Vankin, a professor in psychology who has written extensively on narcissism. He makes this argument. Through my life I have been hurt by a few drunks & it is unforgivable.

I would suggest you visit YouTube & look at Sam Vankin, a professor in psychology who has written extensively on narcissism. He makes this argument. Through my life I have been hurt by a few drunks & it is unforgivable.
I don't trust psychology professors

Well, I do not have any more to say to you. After all, this is an Autism Forum & psychology is important for diagnosis & help. I would have died without help from my Clinical Psychologist. So I will not respond anymore on this thread.

Narcissism is one of those things where some is good for you but too much leads you to self absorption and vanity. It saps away your empathy and can even turn you into an abuser. Having too little leads to submissiveness and potentially self hatred.

The first time I got drunk was at 15 years old, I did it alone at home, hidden from my parents, it really was not a pleasant experience. I do not like alcohol

Last edited:
I've struggled with addiction a few times in my life and it was absolutely horrible, but I don't think it was a disease. The problem was that I kept taking the pills. When I finally stopped, the problem was gone. Is it considered a disease simply because there's a genetic component? That doesn't sound like logic to me, at first thought.

I have to say that is true but with caveats. Unnecessarily long and technical data dump follows. Read at your own risk.

Addiction takes place when you consume a drug - or a close relative of a drug - that your body already produces naturally. Your body sees this as an overload, stops producing its own, and goes into overtime in neutralizing what you've taken. Do that for long enough and your own production capacity withers and you become dependant on the drug for what your body would have done naturally. At the same time it gets better and better at processing out the substitute because it is in excess of your needs.

For example, your body produces adrenaline all the time. It is a natural upper that keeps you awake and alert. When something comes along that requires increased alertness, you get a little extra. This isn't fight-or-flight mode, just seeing something interesting can do it.

Let's say you're driving yourself with too little sleep and you start drinking coffee to wake up. Caffeine is a relative of adrenaline. A cup or so won't cause most people problems. You get the best results if you drink it an hour after you get up, after your body's natural a.m. adrenaline surge..

But - you're still not getting enough sleep. Consequently, as your sleep debt builds up, it takes more am coffee to crank the engine. Your body is saying, "Hey dude. You need to be sleeping now!" It kicks in the hyperdrive to metabolize that caffeine and cuts back on natural adrenaline production. The caffeine wears off, you don't have your natural stimulant, so it is back to the coffee pot. Over time you have less and less natural stimulant while at the same time you are getting better at processing out the artificial stimulant.

You are now addicted to caffeine. Stop cold turkey and you'll feel run down and likely have headaches. There's a syndrome known as "weekend headache" because many people only drink coffee related to going to work. From Friday afternoon to Sunday they don't drink coffee. Their weekends are a mess. They are addicts. But since the caffeine in a cup of coffee is only a mild level of stimulant and coffee doesn't instantly pump you full of euphoria, there isn't a huge psychological component. The level isn't that high, so going cold turkey doesn't leave you incapacitated

Nicotine does the same thing as caffeine only it hits you almost instantly. The "rush" is stronger. So there's a powerful learned connection here. A drag on a cig is an instant pleasure on a very fundamental level and you come to want it. The act of sticking something in your mouth to suck on becomes a habit. There may be a social reward as well if you and your smoking friends flock together over your habit. It takes a powerful impetus to overcome the immediate effects of sucking burning vegetation into your lungs. But if you do it enough you can get used to almost any level of abuse.

The instant reward and social habituation are the psychological side effects of addiction. They can be more difficult to overcome than physical withdrawal.

Amphetamines are yet a step beyond nicotine and meth is a step beyond that. The secondary effects of those can kill you or leave you insane. I've seen it in real life.

Barbiturate (downers) addiction is a special kind of hell as your body develops a tolerance for the euphoria but not for the lethal side effects - falling asleep permanently. Or falling asleep, vomiting, and drowning in your own puke. That's what happened to Marylin Monroe. Suddenly stopping barbiturates can also be lethal, rather like alcohol.

Alcohol is a depressant. It slows your brain and nervous system. When you suddenly stop drinking after a long period of alcohol use, your brain and nervous system can’t adjust quickly. Your brain gets overstimulated. Chemicals get produced that spike a particular amino acid. And that in turn causes alcohol withdrawal delirium (the DTs) which can kill you.

Opiates do the same thing as nicotine except they are replacing the natural opiates your body produces instead of adrenaline. They are called endorphins, natural happy-making and pain killing drugs your body produces. The euphoria is stronger than nicotine. A whole ritual is developed relative to their consumption. Opiate withdrawal is nothing but how your body feels when deprived of its naturally produced endorphins. But the story here isn't so clear-cut.

In and of themselves, opiates aren't a death sentence. An addict can maintain a low level of consumption forever without serious effects. That's why maintenance programs help. It is the uncontrolled use of opiates that is problematic.

If you are taking opiates at the proper level for pain, you will not become addicted. You never get to the point of euphoria. Your brain never gets to the point of saying, "There's no pain here. Why am I flooded with this stuff? Quick, shut down production and spool up removal!" As we all know, people often don't take just enough codeine or hydrocodone to take the edge off the pain, they take it to make it go away completely and then some. And that is how you get addicted to prescription painkillers. Synthetic opiates like Oxycontin are astonishingly effective at this.

Another factor is consistency. Most drugs, opiates included, require regular use over short time intervals for addiction to take place. Do heroin every day and you'll be addicted very quickly. Do it once a month and you will never get addicted. Your body has time to completely re-zero itself between uses. Most people can even shoot up on a weekly basis and not be addicted. The psychological effects may still be there but there will be no chemical withdrawal.

That is the first reason why all those soldiers did not become addicted. They weren't spending their days in opium dens. Most of the time they were doing things and in places that made regular consumption impossible. The psychological desire might be there but the opportunity was not.

The second reason is that they were taking heroin in response to pain. In this case, it was the psychological pain of the endless hell of war. Heroin doesn't become addicting unless you're doing well it in excess of what you need to kill the pain. They weren't blissing out, they were taking a break from hell. The psychological pain was so great that even a shot of heroin never completely made it go away. They never associated positive feelings towards the ritual of use, only less pain.

The third reason is that once you remove the psychological reason for the use, even those who are addicted have an easier time getting off. Absent all the psychological issues, a gentle taper off gets the monkey off your back.

And that is why many thousands of American soldiers did not return from Vietnam as dope fiends. They weren't addicts, they were self-medicating with the only thing available.

Last edited:
So my friend came over so we decided to walk to a store to buy some alcohol and me and him got 1 can of alcohol and I actually got drunk for the first time my life and I love it.

When I got drunk my head was lightly starting to hurt a bit but for some reason I didn't even care at all. My vision was normal but I still had some problems moving around as my leg had a tendency to randomly make sudden movements but it wasn't really a big deal since I was mostly lying in bed with my friend the whole time. I felt euphoric. I enjoyed every second of my time. I became sober after I took a nap after my friend left.

I just really wish I was drunk again. I wish it was possible to not spend any waking moment sober. What was it like for anyone else here getting drunk for the first time?
Careful, my gut instinct told me never to drink and I wish I had listened to it, it was a gateway drug for me, even though it is legal.
It dulled my senses and gave me the illusion I was happy, or should I say fooled me into pretending I was happy as it often put me in a bad mood.
This is why many people who get a taste for drink develop a psychological addiction and get into arguments and fights.
They dont call it the demon drink for nothing.
Spirits like liquors are named so because they are evil spirits.

I've never known alcohol to make me happy unless I was in a happy situation. If I am in a sad situation, it makes me sadder. Whatever feeling I'm having gets enhanced.

It does drop inhibitions. One of the main reasons people get drunk is to loosen up. If you already wanted to do something but would never out of social fear, you are far more likely to do it. If you are repressing a desire or sitting on an attitude, the repression gets lifted. It also leaves you vulnerable to people of bad intent.

There are mean drunks and sad drunks and horny drunks and quiet, introspective drunks, drunks who get loud and boisterous, and even a few who just want to get their clothes off and dance. (Guess who? :D) It all depends on the external environment and what baggage you're bringing along. When I was young I did my little bit of drinking either alone or with small groups of friendly acquaintances. (I much preferred pot for the same result.) The bar/party scene leaves me close to a panic attack.

When I'm drunk, I know I'm drunk. (If you can feel it, you're unsafe to drive!) I will not tackle driving or other complex and dangerous tasks under the influence. There's always that little bit of control in the back of my head.

A person can have a drinking problem simply due to being a brainless hedonist. Young people are prone to that but they are resilient. That kind of drinking is easy to walk away from when the situation changes.

There is very strong evidence that being prone to alcoholism is genetic. Same for compulsive gambling and high vulnerability to opiate addiction. It is an unfair thing that one person can drink like a fish and not be an alcoholic while another becomes one with minimal exposure. But as President Clinton said, "Life isn't fair."

Last edited:
Ok I won't drink beer again, even if it feels good. Alright? Also what or who is maddog? Do you mean Maddox or something?

Maddog is the online handle belonging to my stepfather. I have painted a rather confusing image of him here on the forums, but he has changed as of late. Read: very, very complicated story. He does NOT like to talk about it.

Sensitive topic, but then hey where are you supposed to go with these things? Glad you have a forum for expression, theze sites were not available back when i had my early experiences.
As the disease progresses denial becomes the norm. Boozers tend to be bitter and lacking empathy. Alchohol is a solvent, much of emotional regulation seems to reside in the gut, booze changes the gut.
I drank at boy scout camp, with some of the older fellows. Sadly they all perished in a drunken driving accident about a year later. I was 14.
Be careful, go somewhere safe AND STAY THERE. Going for a stroll or a drive is how most folks get hurt
Eat something first. Drink water while boozing. Stay away from anyone who even suggests violence or carries a weapon. Everyone i know who went to prison booze was involved. Everyone i know who tried drugs had afew drinks in them. There is a sign we all chipped in on right by my old house says "in loving memory of" i have her pic someplace, she was smiling.
I dont do any of that these days i want to be well. Many people do and have no problems. Be very careful who you run around with. Have a way to get a ride, cab fare fone a friend whatever

I remember the first time I drank. I was like 15yo I think, I was in high school and that day I didn't have classes, well, some of them; seniors were taking a hard test (like the american version os SATs) and so I had free time between classes.

A couple of friends who I new for sometime because they were my classmates and high school mates invited me to go with them and drink something. They already had experience going to drink. I went with them and buy some liquor in a store, hard liquor, like moonshine maybe, and a coke soda.

We went to a solitary part of my town, like 2miles from my highschool and we drank some of the stuff we bought, still with the high school uniform lol. Anyway, after we were done, for some stupid reason we decided to go back to high school, we had english class later; and we went. Even that day almost nobody went to class, maybe a couple of classmates and us. (Drunk stupid desisions I guess).

The teacher had some practice schedule for the day and we didt them, still drunk, I can't believe the teacher didn't notice we have been drinking, or maybe she noticed but acted cool; she was kind of a cool teacher. Anyway we had to present her our work after someminutes but as we obsviously were not in condition to walk properly a classmate, who was part of the "cool guys" take our notebooks and presented them to the teacher instead. Good lord, our calygraphy/handwritting was awful...but the teacher said nothing.

After that I went to my home and I tried to disguise the alcohol breath, drank some milk because drunk me tought it would work; when my mother arrived from work she asked me to blow some air to his eye...a typical mother way of knowing if I someone had drink smelling the breath...damm the words I received from her...almost dissapointed...ok, very dissapointed and sad; I guess it was because well, I was 15yo and I am the youngest son. But after that I guess things became normal/ordinary, it was something almost every teenager in my country have made, and I was kind of late/older, some guys started drinking even earlier.

And to be honest is not like I have a drinking problem; even now I usually don't drink; maybe 2 beers per year and on special dates; I honestly drank more when I was in high school; even as a senior (last year of high school) as our class have saved money all year for a beach trip at the end of the academic year, the first thing we did was stop on a Walmart to buy some booze, the sellers almost never asked for our IDs (although that final year I was 18yo and was legal now.). But as I started university and I was never into drinking my alcohol days were a thing of the past; I was not a party person and I never attended to a university party which as I heard were pretty wild. (And honestly I am kinda proud of that lol)

Well, maybe I didn't stopped drinking inmediately; when I attended to a (heavy metal) concert with some friends, we used to arrived several hours before the doors opening to buy some beers and pass the day; but for me and many of them, we stopped drinking so: 1st, we could be allowed to enter the venue (drunk people wasn't allowed.) and 2. To really enjoy and remember the show. But that was like 6 years ago or more.

Reaching to your post theme; I don't understand why you or some people would like to stay drunk and feeling dizzy all the time; for my although temporarly fun and happy feeling, is not something real; nor something I would like to experience often; is like a waste of time and body and mental resources; you're not able to do real or productive stuff, not having real relationships with people because when you're drunk you are not completely aware of your sorrounding and waht people say; and when your going to bed, it is a nightmare trying to fall asleep; you're dizzy all the night; rolling from one side of the bed to the other...you don't sleep at all.

Anyway, those were my 2 cents on the matter.

New Threads

Top Bottom