• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I got called a "Deaf C***" at work today! Should I say anything officially to the Manager?

Should I report a work colleague for calling me a C word?

• Yes!

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Depends, do you want to cause a friction at work and possibly have to quit?

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
This position against speaking up is informed by my experience, and it took me quite awhile to figure out what goes on in a situation like this. Crudely put, to get the point across, nobody likes a rat. Period. Not the person being turned in.

Correct. No one in prison and no one who is currently attending grade school likes a rat.

People who make other peoples lives miserable would love nothing more than for their victims to be silent and allow the suffering to continue. This is why rapists and murderers go free, because people are too afraid to "rat" them out.

Maybe you're aware of the term "stitches for snitches." Maybe you agree that anyone who would go out of their way to do the right thing and expose such people, should definitely be subjected to physical harm for daring to speak out against the offender.

Maybe the next time you're the victim of a crime, be it assault or otherwise, anyone who witnesses it should completely ignore you. After all, you obviously deserve whatever happens to you or you wouldn't have been there in the first place, right?

Correct. No one in prison and no one who is currently attending grade school likes a rat.

People who make other peoples lives miserable would love nothing more than for their victims to be silent and allow the suffering to continue. This is why rapists and murderers go free, because people are too afraid to "rat" them out.

Maybe you're aware of the term "stitches for snitches." Maybe you agree that anyone who would go out of their way to do the right thing and expose such people, should definitely be subjected to physical harm for daring to speak out against the offender.

Maybe the next time you're the victim of a crime, be it assault or otherwise, anyone who witnesses it should completely ignore you. After all, you obviously deserve whatever happens to you or you wouldn't have been there in the first place, right?
No. I think that you are focusing on only one element of what I said.

I was clear that if there was a physical threat or if there was systemic violence (language is included) that's a different issue than what I perceive to be the case here.

Given that nothing actionable has occurred since, the situation is probably what I think it is: a momentary lapse or outburst by someone who, given the nature of the workplace, is likely dealing with his own issues.

I, for myself, prefer to approach these occurrences differently.

If I seek acceptance and patience from others, I must be prepared to demonstrate it. I have to be willing to accommodate others dealing with their own difficulties.

I have had success in dealing with another's outburst by asking "are you having a bad day?" What happens after saying that is often interesting...in all the best ways.

It is far too easy to, figuratively, shut the door on another human being. It hurts both parties.

If, and in the past I have done this, I look to another to make right a situation I find intolerable, all the negative things I described earlier usually happen. That's bad enough. Worse, I forgo an opportunity to find within the strength I need to deal with the daily frustrations of life... which all people have to learn.

To each their own. I recognise, I live, the difficulty in making snap judgements about what's going on around me and trying figure out how best to handle things I am not prepared for. Which is why my first and best option is to hold my tongue and think about things.

New Threads

Top Bottom