• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't live like this! But I am doomed...

24 years ago I worked in a Supermarket in Grimsby, England on placement from College, the only time the noise did my head in was towards the end of November that year when they started playing Christmas tunes, stuff like that annoyingly annoying Slade song.

full
Walmart sells noise-cancelling headphones, around $10? (in their guns & ammo department). You can still hear with them, but they take the edge off.

The price is even higher at ours. It's about $35-$50.

Yep. I've seen ear protectors (34dB NRR) over the counter at Walmart for $14.95....same price as Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4f-d898-5ead-b0d4-32c29509f543&pf_rd_i=553558

I saw a good review from someone with an autistic relative! I think these may actually work. I will show them to my mother when she gets home. I added them to cart hut did jot purchase them yet. This is her amazon account. I must first ask her before purchasing anything. But I have a feeling that these might work.

I saw a good review from someone with an autistic relative! I think these may actually work. I will show them to my mother when she gets home. I added them to cart hut did jot purchase them yet. This is her amazon account. I must first ask her before purchasing anything. But I have a feeling that these might work.

I've looked for them before, and I have yet to find any with a noise-reduction rating beyond 34dB. For this price, it seems worth a try. Even the ones I use at the firing range aren't rated this high.

im sorry i find market shops a nightmare i get so mad walking around inside then the people in the counter start making comments to me for having sunglasses inside and busy customers pushing me behind me because they are in a rush to get to their coffins or soemting

It may sound hard what I am going to say but get a job if you are able to, to eventually buy what you need.

I have read a couple times that you don't feel a way of coping this and just a tip: Don't try to think negative. I am not saying you can't feel the way you are feeling but with a more neautral way of thinking solutions and decisions are easier maked in that way.

Maybe you can write a letter to something official, like an organisition for autism to get regonising for your symptoms and how you can get what you need.

Maybe a crowfond on facebook for ear defenders where you explain what is going on with you? Maybe people want to help you in that way.

I am just trying to think with you for a solution.

It may sound hard what I am going to say but get a job if you are able to, to eventually buy what you need.

I have read a couple times that you don't feel a way of coping this and just a tip: Don't try to think negative. I am not saying you can't feel the way you are feeling but with a more neautral way of thinking solutions and decisions are easier maked in that way.

Maybe you can write a letter to something official, like an organisition for autism to get regonising for your symptoms and how you can get what you need.

Maybe a crowfond on facebook for ear defenders where you explain what is going on with you? Maybe people want to help you in that way.

I am just trying to think with you for a solution.

Thanks, but I'm unable to get a job because my mother already has a part-time job along with her full job, and someone needs to stay home on the weekends to watch my little brother. Now I can beg my family for the ear defenders for Christmas, but that's all I can do. My family is struggling, so I probably won't be able to get them any other day. Plus, I'm not sure if they'll even get me the ear defenders, considering the last ones my aunt ordered didn't work at all.. It didn't block or lower the volume of any noise at all. It said, on the site, that it had a 37dB rating, but when I got them in the package, it said 27dB. I tried them on, even with earplugs. The only sound it blocked out was the sound of the air vent, which was very low. It seemed to amplify some sounds, too. Idk if ear defenders are just a hoax like my mother says (she thinks I'm trying to block out all noise, but I'm nit. I'm just trying to lower the volume of the noises that torture me every day) or if they only work on lucky people, but I just wish our family had the money to order enough pairs for me to find ones that aren't a rip off.. Christmas is my only hope of asking for the ear defenders. I'll try to ask for them on Christmas. But maybe I can ask each different person in the family for a different type of ear defenders, so I can try different ones and find one that will work. That's the idea I had.

Very simple solution order bunch (or one by one) from amazon try and return for full refund if you did not like it they have best return policy you don't even need to pay return shipping just bring to amazon drop off location.

Very simple solution order bunch (or one by one) from amazon try and return for full refund if you did not like it they have best return policy you don't even need to pay return shipping just bring to amazon drop off location.

I plan to get earmuffs from each family member for Christmas, but my grandmother already ordered some for me. ;)

Thanks, but I'm unable to get a job because my mother already has a part-time job along with her full job, and someone needs to stay home on the weekends to watch my little brother. Now I can beg my family for the ear defenders for Christmas, but that's all I can do. My family is struggling, so I probably won't be able to get them any other day. Plus, I'm not sure if they'll even get me the ear defenders, considering the last ones my aunt ordered didn't work at all.. It didn't block or lower the volume of any noise at all. It said, on the site, that it had a 37dB rating, but when I got them in the package, it said 27dB. I tried them on, even with earplugs. The only sound it blocked out was the sound of the air vent, which was very low. It seemed to amplify some sounds, too. Idk if ear defenders are just a hoax like my mother says (she thinks I'm trying to block out all noise, but I'm nit. I'm just trying to lower the volume of the noises that torture me every day) or if they only work on lucky people, but I just wish our family had the money to order enough pairs for me to find ones that aren't a rip off.. Christmas is my only hope of asking for the ear defenders. I'll try to ask for them on Christmas. But maybe I can ask each different person in the family for a different type of ear defenders, so I can try different ones and find one that will work. That's the idea I had.

Many if not all of us can appreciate your quest for a product that provides noise elimination. However the products out there discussed do not achieve this. They can only provide two things:

Noise reduction and/or noise cancellation. Neither of which actually constitute noise elimination.

Ear protectors do exactly what they're supposed to do. To reduce harmful external sound to a level that is no longer harmful to the average human ear. However they are not intended to eliminate sound or do so to levels approaching the experience of a severely hearing-impaired person.

Noise-cancelling headphones do not literally "cancel" external sound. They are a device which introduces sounds designed to "cancel out and neutralize" externally perceived sounds.

In your own case, one thing you might consider is to get a medical appointment with a licensed audiologist who can assess the actual degree of your hearing. Perhaps even better, an audiologist who is also experienced in catering to the needs of those on the spectrum of autism. You may in fact have an extraordinary sense of hearing that adds to your difficulties in perceiving sound in general. You might check and see if your mother has health insurance that may technically covers such considerations to help with any costs.

Where truly effective methods of reducing (not eliminating) sound may be sought given your particular circumstances. Perhaps medical-grade products that are simply not available on an over-the-counter retail basis.

Just a thought, anyways. Hope you can find something to relieve such suffering, but to be aware of the distinctions between noise reduction and noise cancellation as opposed to noise elimination.

Last edited:
Many if not all of us can appreciate your quest for a product that provides noise elimination. However the products out there discussed do not achieve this. They can only provide two things:

Noise reduction and/or noise cancellation. Neither of which actually constitute noise elimination.

Ear protectors do exactly what they're supposed to do. To reduce harmful external sound to a level that is no longer harmful to the average human ear. However they are not intended to eliminate sound or do so to levels approaching the experience of a severely hearing-impaired person.

Noise-cancelling headphones do not literally "cancel" external sound. They are a device which introduces sounds designed to "cancel out and neutralize" externally perceived sounds.

In your own case, one thing you might consider is to get a medical appointment with a licensed audiologist who can assess the actual degree of your hearing. Perhaps even better, an audiologist who is also experienced in catering to the needs of those on the spectrum of autism. You may in fact have an extraordinary sense of hearing that adds to your difficulties in perceiving sound in general. You might check and see if your mother has health insurance that may technically covers such considerations to help with any costs.

Where truly effective methods of reducing (not eliminating) sound may be sought given your particular circumstances. Perhaps medical-grade products that are simply not available on an over-the-counter retail basis.

Just a thought, anyways. Hope you can find something to relieve such suffering, but to be aware of the distinctions between noise reduction and noise cancellation as opposed to noise elimination.

I'm trying to reduce noise to where it doesn't torture me. My grandma decided to order some ear defender from amazon for me, though. It has 713 reviews and almost 5 stars. I also saw a review saying it helps someone with aspergers (in which that term isn't used anymore), but I know it's autism. But she decided to order me the was defenders. I think it had a 30 something dB rating, so I hope it works and doesn't turn out to be a total rip off. Other reviews say it reduces noise greatly, so I'm hoping it works well for me.

I'm trying to reduce noise to where it doesn't torture me. My grandma decided to order some ear defender from amazon for me, though. It has 713 reviews and almost 5 stars. I also saw a review saying it helps someone with aspergers (in which that term isn't used anymore), but I know it's autism. But she decided to order me the was defenders. I think it had a 30 something dB rating, so I hope it works and doesn't turn out to be a total rip off. Other reviews say it reduces noise greatly, so I'm hoping it works well for me.

I haven't seen any ear protectors with noise reduction ratings beyond 34dB. But again, in your case I suspect your expectations are simply beyond the capability of such devices. Where you have to keep all advertising and descriptions of such things in their proper perspective. That whatever relief they offer is based on Neurotypical specifications rather than Neurodiverse ones. Where in your own case, you need something more robust.

Unless perhaps you explore the possibility of medical-based products that might just take into consideration the use by Neurodiverse customers.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any ear protectors with noise reduction ratings beyond 34dB. But again, in your case I suspect your expectations are simply beyond the capability of such devices.

Where you have to keep all advertising and descriptions of such things in their proper perspective. That whatever relief they offer is based on Neurotypical standards rather than Neurodiverse ones. Unless perhaps you explore the possibility of medical-based products that might just take into consideration the use by Neurodiverse customers.

They're not. I'm worried that ear defenders won't help at all, but I'm desperate to try something. I can't keep living in torture like this! Whenever I'm looking at reviews, I'm always looking for reviews from autistic customers as well. Remember I said the ear defenders I ordered from autismproducts.com were a total rip off because they didn't reduce any noise and even seemed to amplify it a little? Those were from an autism site, and they were a total rip off. Now I'm trying amazon ad it has tons of ear defenders and noises-canceling ear defenders. I'm at least trying instead of giving up and making an attempt to go deaf.

Whenever I'm looking at reviews, I'm always looking for reviews from autistic customers as well. Remember I said the ear defenders I ordered from autismproducts.com were a total rip off because they didn't reduce any noise and even seemed to amplify it a little? Those were from an autism site, and they were a total rip off.

Just because something is from an "autism site" doesn't ensure the sale of products that are up to real medical standards. It wouldn't surprise me if what you purchased were no different than most any ear protectors used with the use of firearms. Sounds like some sole online proprietor is just using the demand of autistic people to justify the sale of their products, whether they are really up to autistic standards or not. Yes, under such circumstances it's likely you were ripped off.

This is why you need some professional guidance from a licensed audiologist. To find out first whether or not there are legitimate products out there that can truly meet your needs. To do this rather than to continue to throw your money away on products more likely meant for persons with lesser hearing sensitivities.

Just because something is from an "autism site" doesn't ensure the sale of products that are up to real medical standards. It wouldn't surprise me if what you purchased were no different than most any ear protectors used with the use of firearms. Sounds like some sole online proprietor is just using the demand of autistic people to justify the sale of their products, whether they are really up to autistic standards or not. Yes, under such circumstances it's likely you were ripped off.

This is why you need some professional guidance from a licensed audiologist. To find out first whether or not there are legitimate products out there that can truly meet your needs.

I've been to audiologists before my diagnosis. They just tested my hearing and said that it was totally fine. I don't think they could help.. But I get what you're saying. I don't know if an audiologist would help me though. I just don't trust them as much because I've been to one twice long before I even learned of autism. They said my ears were perfectly fine. Now I've been looking up autism therapies because the psychohistory who diagnosed me said that some of my reactions to sensitive hearing is due to anxiety.

I've been to audiologists before my diagnosis. They just tested my hearing and said that it was totally fine. I don't think they could help.. But I get what you're saying. I don't know if an audiologist would help me though. I just don't trust them as much because I've been to one twice long before I even learned of autism. They said my ears were perfectly fine. Now I've been looking up autism therapies because the psychohistory who diagnosed me said that some of my reactions to sensitive hearing is due to anxiety.

Sadly I see your point. It's just that at the retail over-the-counter level I suspect you won't find much of any one product that will likely fulfill the degree of noise-reduction you seek. Where perhaps a medical professional might be able to refer you to another market that many fewer people may be aware of...provided such a market actually exists.

34dB versus 27 dB of noise reduction is less, but not miraculously less. Though if you combine that with quality ear plugs it may substantially compound/increase the noise reduction. But again, if they're all mainstream consumer products they may simply not be up to your needs.

Sadly I see your point. It's just that at the retail over-the-counter level I suspect you won't find much of any one product that will likely fulfill the degree of noise-reduction you seek. Where perhaps a medical professional might be able to refer you to another market that many fewer people may be aware of...provided such a market actually exists.

I wish I knew how to find one where I live. I don't think Arkansas would have a place like that...

New Threads

Top Bottom