• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't bear it when people get their baby girl's ears pierced

I have very little objection to disrespecting the disreputable aspects of "culture," mine or anyone else's. If it hurts other people then it doesn't get the protection of etiquette. The baby ear thing is something that has never made sense to me.

Girl friend and all time top contender for title of Mrs. has never gotten her ears pierced. It's rare enough for people not to do that, that I think it is neat. Seems more normal even though it's less common.

Insurance companies in the US traditionally would not insure valuable earrings unless they were for pierced ears. I don't know if that is still the rule but it was at one time.
Clip-on earrings fall off and get lost easier than earrings for pierced ears.

I never understood why parents do this to their baby daughters. I mean wouldn’t it be easy for the baby to rip out the earrings and hurt themselves? Plus I find it annoying that clip on earrings are pretty hard to find outside of a Claire’s store. Not everyone can have pierced ears and it is even harder to be a drag queen without pierced ears.

I used to do body piercing as a job many years ago in my younger days - we used to have people asking for their babies' ears to be pierced all the time. We always refused as every piercing required informed consent and as a baby could not consent we just did not do it. Older children ears only we would do if the child understood and consented and had parents' permission. For some reason we also had idiots come in asking for pets' ears to be pierced too - we basically threw them out of the store and said - this is animal cruelty, an animal cannot consent, and it is easy to get it infected and caught and ripped out. For some reason the morons did not have enough brain power to think of that. Sometimes we said if you persist we will report you to the RSPCA...that finally seemed to get through to them....

I
I'm sorry but I am against this. It's like "oh my baby is a girl, she must look beautiful", but isn't she beautiful already, without earrings?

It's hard enough for parents to watch their baby getting vaccinated, but at least vaccinations are essential and are life-saving. Ear piercing is not essential and is not life-saving, and it's something that does not need to be done, it just causes the poor baby more pain.

I think piercing your child's ears under a certain age should be illegal, and should only be allowed when the child is old enough to consent to it and understand what ear piercing is and that it might hurt. It is not fair to do it to babies.

Sorry if I have offended anyone who got their baby's ears pierced before, but I just feel strongly about this.

Thoughts?
I think so too.
That it is invasive and cruel.
For babies and young toddlers and the child should be able to consent.

For 5 to 6 years or slightly older, I think it is very cute. But yes the child has to consent and know how painful
Though rationally speaking the longer you wait the better because there are also clip on earrings as well as long as the child does not request it.
I think because they have such young ears maybe like wait until 10 years.
Because I would worry
So a judgment call for me.

We're all entitled to have a opinion on things, and I just feel mothers making their baby girls have her ears pierced is unfair on the baby. It seems to be a peer pressure thing more than a cultural thing where I come from.
My mum never done that to me. I was a living being, not some object you can decorate without needing its consent.
In fact she said she got highly emotional watching me having my vaccinations as a baby, although she understood how necessary vaccinations were.

I remember watching a video on YouTube once of a 5-month-old getting her ears pierced. She screamed in agony as it was done, and all I heard from the mother was "you're gonna look beautiful!" like the baby was about to celebrate her sweet 16th or something.
Baby girls wearing a pink bonnet makes them look beautiful, they don't need earrings.

And people getting their pets ears pierced is just stupid. I know a woman who put fake eyelashes on her dog. I mean, why?

Getting your ears pierced doesn’t really hurt, but I think it looks bizarre on babies. It seems dangerous, too, since babies grab everything. How often do they rip them out of their ears, or pull them out and swallow them and choke?

New Threads

Top Bottom