• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am thinking about a career as a pilot

Mentioning it again, but aspies are known to have faults on detoxification genes and a job where there are aviation fumes from fuel could pose a significant health risk.
My hobby is fixing cars and its dirty job fuel, oil all over my hands and face sometimes, makes me concerned about my health do you have more info on that?

My hobby is fixing cars and its dirty job fuel, oil all over my hands and face sometimes, makes me concerned about my health do you have more info on that?

Do you have any sensitivity to chemicals? Having engine oil on the skin is not good for anyone.

You might want to take political factors into account, as well. You may never know when a terrorist is aiming his RPG at your plane, so you may have to learn to take the pressure of knowing that could always be a possibility when flying internationally, and especially if your next stop will take you to/near middle eastern countries, which is where political turmoil, terrorism, and war runs rampant.

Last edited:
Hello Matty.
I am a Flight Attendant with a very large American Airline and fly regularly with a couple of Captains that I know are on the spectrum but very savant & HFA.
So, no they are not the greatest at shooting the breeze over a cup of coffee, or a martini on a layover, but may I say, I always always adore flying with them, as they exude professionalism , logic, detail to safety and adherence to procedures.
And know For sure, that in Case of an emergency, emotions would not kick in, just pure thinking out the box and feel safe that any decision they would make, I would make it back home in one piece. GO FOR IT!!!!
It really helped to hear this! I am going to do an introductory lesson on Saturday and see if I can handle it. I am quite High Functioning with rigorous attention to safety and detail.

As the title reads, I am thinking about becoming a pilot. I don't know if this is madness because I don't know of anyone who is autistic that also flies planes. I started my research yesterday and learned that there is going to be quite a shortage of pilots in the next two decades. I know it's a difficult career to start for someone that is 41 years old so I am going to wait until I've been at my present job at Piedmont Airlines (American Eagle) for a year before I make a decision one way or another. Next weekend, a local flight school is offering a free 1 hour introductory lesson where the instructor lets us know if we would make it or not. I am going to give this a shot to see if it is even possible. If I can safely maneuver the plane, maybe it would be a future possibility.

I do know that it is very expensive but Piedmont is offering significant amounts of tuition reimbursement so it might be a good future goal. As aways, I welcome the wisdom that Autism Forum members have to offer.
That’s awesome. Go for it.

And by the way, only ones who need to know about ASD are few like employer or administrators in order to extend accommodations entitled to you under ADa. No one else Including prospective employers need know.

GO FOR IT

That’s awesome. Go for it.

And by the way, only ones who need to know about ASD are few like employer or administrators in order to extend accommodations entitled to you under ADa. No one else Including prospective employers need know.

GO FOR IT
Thanks but I nixed the idea. I just don't have good visual spatial awareness. Plus, another pilot told me not to do it for very good, sound economic reasons.

New Threads

Top Bottom