• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am not an artist.

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I am not an artist. I've never had a single class, much less gotten a degree from a college or expensive university. People tell me I can draw, but they aren't qualified to make that decision because they don't have degrees either. They can only draw stick men! So what do they know?

There are other people out there that draw really pretty things. They think I'm like them sometimes and they share tips and tricks they've learned and sometimes I have tips and tricks that help them too. But even though they've extensively studied it and even had helpful sessions with people who hold a Masters degree, they don't have one so they're not qualified to say I'm like them. Well, one of them does, but they're not my teacher so they still don't count.

I don't know what I am. Nobody with a Masters has ever told me. I can't get a scholarship or grant either because nobody wants me, and there's no way I'd ever be afford several thousand to do it myself. I just know that sometimes when I put a pencil on paper, stuff like this comes out:

7310032f67437bb56a4d68f505369acd.jpg

It looks pretty black and white to me but I guess I'll never know until somebody with a Masters degree steps forward pro bono and declares me an artist, because I'm not qualified to figure it out myself. :(

Oh, screw it, I don't care what the snobby elitists of the art world say! I've poured tons of study, research, and practice into it. I may still be learning the terminology, and I've certainly got a long way to go to get to where I want to be, but I know what I'm doing and I know what I'm capable of. If they're too stuck-up to admit I'm an artist, then they can go sit in their corner, sull up, and keep themselves isolated from all those without a degree and all those "inferior" artists they hate that are stylistic and not realistic. I'm gonna keep chillin' with my more open-minded buddies and keep swappin' secrets and sketches. And one of them does have a Masters degree! But they're cool. They knew they needed help learning so they went out and got it, and they now help other artists either learn how to draw on their own or give them tips on how to get a Masters degree too.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go work on an order for a customer and go chat with my fellow doodlers that don't care if they're sketching with an average joe or "official pro" so long as we all get some work done on our projects. Maybe I'll even start a collaboration with one of the cartoonists, I haven't colored line work in a while.

If you identify as an artist, if it is a passion, you are an artist. I am of the opinion that people can't be taught to be artists, not really. You can develop that sense on your own and schooling can certainly help guide and hone those skills, but getting a degree doesn't make or break you as an artist. It simply doesn't.

You do that. That is within you. Not some some cheesy nonsense I just write. I know a lot of artists [of various kinds]- including myself. I have found this true of all of them. There are people who want to learn how to paint or draw or play an instrument.

Then there are people who want to express themselves and find the right medium in which to do so. The artists I know all have varying levels of formal education- master's to self taught. Even if they have had advanced formal education they continue to teach themselves, push themselves, try to improve their craft.

That's an artist.
You are an artist if you feel you are.

I think I wrote all this as much for me as for you, I absolutely believe it.

If you are not an artist, than I am terrible at cross stitch and hey, according to those who see my work and yep even myself, I'm FLIPPING brilliant at them and thus, the conclusion has to be that: YOU ARE AN ARTIST.

I have not been to any school; it is all self taught. It has been suggested that I could sell my work, but that does not appeal to me, because I want to maintain the sheer pleasure of doing the work, rather than panicking about how many I am doing, in order to not get a back log.

Your drawing is just quite simply amazing; what detail!!!

Here is my latest:

People are so bogged down with degrees and the such, that they fail to see the actual point.

I honestly cannot draw to save my life and I am the one who you would say: can barely do stick men! I am seriously hopeless but my cross stitch work is quite something else and yes, I am very proud of what I can do!

Attachments

• 20150409_133549.jpg
    20150409_133549.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 283
I don't draw myself, but you don't need to be an artist to appreciate a good piece of work and see that it is well and accurately drawn with correct proportions. Perhaps here an intimate knowledge of equine anatomy would be of more use than an art degree in this case? Anyone can be an artist. Even if I draw and my drawing is not perfectly accurate, I'm still an artist because I'm rendering my interpretation of the subject. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to be a good artist, or a famous one because one doesn't get recognition by drawing alone: one has to gain recognition of experts and public alike to make the transition between amateur and professional. So now we get into the territory of what exactly consitutes art and that has been the subject of debate for many generations. A work of art doesn't just seek to be accurate, but also to be aesthetically pleasing, or to convey a message. So perhaps being an artist is not a question of having a degree or diploma, but a matter of being recognised and appreciated by others as an artist.

A degree means jack **** ! If you have talent you have talent. Did Renoir or Dali or van Gogh have degrees ?

I liked your image

There is always, in every discipline, a kind of hierarchy of credentials. It is for the most part only important to those who have gone to a lot of trouble, or expense, to get them. But getting credentials is not necessarily an indication of skill, talent or ability to get work done, so somewhat of a false indicator of one's quality. And it is most obessively important to those who most lack skill, talent and ability, because it is basically all they have, the credentials. It's this way in all professional careers except those that require physical and critical performance, like pilots.

And in some fields it's a requirement. You can't for instance just open a brain surgery outlet. But in many fields its more subjective, including the arts. Music is a good example and has had many successful musicians who never studied it formally and some who can't even read music. With art, jobs can be more based on your portfolio then the degree you have. Certain options, like say if you would want to teach art at a school, would require getting the prerequisite coursework. But many others do not.

Really, anyone can sit down and draw a picture and say it's art. And it is. It might not be very good, but art is also an activity a thing one does and they are doing it.

If you want to go to the next step and evaluate the quality of ones work, and determine if it is fair, good, excellent, etc, there's two basic ways. Get other's opinions or evaluate it objectively yourself. It's natural to be curious. I do figurine sculpting from time to time, just as a hobbiest and try to qualify it as objectively as possible. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being a novice with a bit of talent and 5 being an expert craftsperson, I rate myself a 2 with an occasional piece getting closer to 3. The point here is I don't have a MBA and I don't need any stinking MBA to tell me that. :D I have eyes and can see for myself.

There is also the proof is in the pudding perspective. If you can do work in the field in some capacity then you obviously have some degree of talent/skill and surely can call yourself an artist.

I do not have a Masters degree, only a lifetime of knowing what I like. In my opinion(for whatever that's worth), anyone with the talent to draw like that is indeed, a artist.

Credentialism is a false doctrine created by institutions to capitalize on natural human talents.

Art has fallen victim to credentialism because a powerful, elite institution was built around it. For a very long time, we left it to the Art World to tell us what's "good" and what's not, as well as what it takes to become "good". Art schools were happy to collude.

If a person feels a need to make art -- if they study and practice with dedication -- then I would call them an artist. They may not be technically spectacular, but nobody can deny them the basic title because it has nothing to do with anything but what the individual feels inside.

Aye. Some people are just waaaay too caught up in paperwork to admit to the real deal no matter how obvious it is. :D

And absolutely nothing against those who've gotten the paperwork. Some folks need help and paperwork can open the doors to a lot of opportunities not otherwise presented, like awesome summer camps or exclusive sessions with great people that do them worlds of good. Anybody who wants it, I hope they are fortunate enough to get it. I just wish some folks would chill on making paperwork the absolute standard in our society and then disregarding and dismissing anybody who doesn't have it. Because you're not born with those papers. You may be born with the talent, drive, or other things that will later be noticed so you may get those papers if you so choose, but lacking documentation will not change who you are at heart or who you are neurologically.

I honestly cannot draw to save my life and I am the one who you would say: can barely do stick men! I am seriously hopeless but my cross stitch work is quite something else and yes, I am very proud of what I can do!
You should be proud! =)
Somebody out there would probably love to have something like that in their kitchen. (Mine is decked out in a grape and wine theme. With a side of chickens.)

If you are not an artist, than I am terrible at cross stitch and hey, according to those who see my work and yep even myself, I'm FLIPPING brilliant at them and thus, the conclusion has to be that: YOU ARE AN ARTIST.

I have not been to any school; it is all self taught. It has been suggested that I could sell my work, but that does not appeal to me, because I want to maintain the sheer pleasure of doing the work, rather than panicking about how many I am doing, in order to not get a back log.

Your drawing is just quite simply amazing; what detail!!!

Here is my latest:

People are so bogged down with degrees and the such, that they fail to see the actual point.

Your cross stitches are beautiful Suzanne! They require a great deal of time & patience, talent & dexterity. LOVELY!!

Last edited:
AsheSkyler, you are quite talented, & based on your drawing I would have to disagree with anyone who does not think you are an artist. Nope, you ARE an artist. Like Suzanne, you too should be proud!

You should be proud! =)
Somebody out there would probably love to have something like that in their kitchen. (Mine is decked out in a grape and wine theme. With a side of chickens.)

Actually this particular cross stitch was for a friend, who is showing such appreciation that it is surreal to me lol She is a lover of tomatoes and been a good friend and thus, mmm what can I do to show my appreciation, ah? A cross stitch for her :D

New Threads

Top Bottom