• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am having a day of disappointment

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
Today has just been one disappointment after another and I feel my anger starting to rise so I guess I am headed for a meltdown. I was counting on earning 200 bucks today for participation in a research study. It was money that I badly needed and the research assistant cancelled my participation today while only offering a generic reason. I was going to use that money to pay my utility bills!

Then the job that I was offered at Piedmont Airlines rescinded the offer due to what they so-called a "position cancellation." So no job, no money.

Then I went to see my vocational rehabilitation counselor for more bad news. She showed my resume around and tried to get some potential employers to engage with me but no interest. When I asked her for feedback she clearly did not want to provide any because she cleverly side-stepped the question. The cynical side of me wonders if she even tried to do her job to advocate for me. I know I have rubbish for recent work history but I thought the purpose of working with a voc rehab agency was to get the large magic tax break for taking a chance on someone.

Apparently I am all used up! I might as well plan on living on the dole because late stage capitalism seems to doubly punish personal failure.

I'll bet all I could do at this point is volunteer work, but at least I don't have to go through a load of garbage in order to be allowed to volunteer. In the USA, if you want to volunteer, you'll be welcome with arms wide-open.

Maybe I'll just volunteer for Habitat For Humanity. Who knows? Maybe I can learn a trade that way.

I think that learning a trade or skill of some sort is actually a brilliant idea. That isn't to say that you should stop looking for work in the area(s) in which you were already searching if that type of job interests you.

However, if you keep yourself busy learning something new, you'll both widen your skill set and also appear to be a more interesting/well-rounded candidate to whichever potential employers evaluate you next.

In addition, I don't know about you, but I know that I generally tend to feel better about myself at the end of the day on the days when I accomplish something, whether or not I was paid for doing that particular job.

When I was down and out I donated plasma. It wasn't much,but it helped. Sorry things aren't going well right now Matt.

Sounds like a pretty rotten day. I think most people would feel disheartened at that. Keep your chin up :)
It's a cliché, but tomorrow's a new day and things will seem clearer. Another cliché, as one door closes another opens...
I think learning a new skill is a tremendous idea. If you can find a skill or trade that appeals to you, that you can get trained in for which there is a demand, your options will look much rosier.

I'm very sorry to hear about your misfortune today. "Chin up". You had been selected, so you have what they wanted. Hold on to that. Cheers.

That is the worst day ever!
When I had days like that I allowed myself three days to feel sorry for myself, binge on ice cream, stay in bed, etc. Then, back to it.
I remember you were thinking about writing technical manuals? That is something to keep in mind.

There are so many people having crappy days out there lately. A lot of it is the powers that be. You are cool, Matty, and your posts always make me smile, as does that sleek cat on your post.

I hope that the people on here can bring you some strength. Try to see yourself over and above the strictures of your life---when and where you live, the people who control up at the top, disability, etc. Aspies have a keen ability to see things others don't.

I hope you feel better day!

New Threads

Top Bottom