• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am done with playing games just for achievements/trophies.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
The game that finally broke me while I was going down that path was One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 for Windows, a game I already got all the achievements for on the Xbox One version.

It is leaving Game Pass tomorrow, and I have four achievements left, but the thought of bringing myself to finish the way too easy and way too repetitious grind kinda makes me feel like I am going to a job I dislike for a meager trophy hanging at the end.

I have played many easy games for the score, and I now am recognizing life is way too bloody short for that. There are countless other games I have access to in my living room that I actually will have tons of fun playing. I should focus on those instead and get over my OCD about trying to complete most of the games I started on my gamer tags.

I understand. That's a difficult thing to do, and I'll be praying that you succeed and are able to enjoy yourself to the fullest!

My wife 100%'s everything she plays, and that seems too stressful to me. I get like 22% and give up on the last level

In all honesty I've never quite understood the drive to do all sorts of absurdly mundane or grindy tasks JUST for achievements. It's just... one of those things I cant grasp.

Like, I grew up with NES, SNES, and the ol' Atari 2600, and... yeah those didnt do any of that. There were no achievements for beating Dr. Wily without getting hit, or taking down Bowser with fireballs instead of grabbing the axe on the end of the bridge, but that didnt stop players from getting satisfaction from doing those anyway.

Granted, there are exceptions, sort of. Every now and then I'll find a game that uses achievements to add to the gameplay in some way, rather than just pad it out. Like, the main game I'm into right now, "The Void Rains Upon Her Heart" (what a mouthful) which is a sort of combination of boss-rush bullet-hell shmup and roguelike, has a lot of achievements. Like, A LOT of them. Looking it up, there are... 616 of them. I have about 480 of them right now.

Thing is though, none of them are tedious nonsense and they all have some gameplay function. Do one, and it unlocks something... maybe a new item, maybe a new boss to fight, and then those can appear in future runs. And the things you need to do to unlock them arent bloody stupid, but make sense within the context of everything. None of them are "hey good for you, you chose a character, wow!" or "do this thing that has .00000001% chance of happening in this specific situation". Being a bullet-hell game, there are a few achievements that are abnormally difficult, but those extra hard ones arent tied to content and there are only a couple of those. Overall it's a very good system and works to introduce content and mechanics over time instead of dumping too much on the player at once (as most games with roguelike elements do).

And then there are other games that might do things very differently. My favorite horror game I played this year was Lily's Well, very short, but I loved it. 20 achievements in that, and I did a very, very rare thing (for me) which was that I went after 100% of everything in one day. Most of the achievements in that game are gotten just as a matter of going through the story... the others are things you do that are optional, off to the side, but they add to the narrative/lore behind everything, and arent tedious. All told, it took 6 hours in total to do absolutely everything from start to finish. And none of the things to do in the game were at all irritating or stupid.

Honestly though I cant actually think of too many like those games. Most games I see that have achievements tend to handle them stupidly, or in some cases, outright intrusively (Binding of Isaac, for instance... absolutely adore that game but the unlocks are tied to achievements, and the achievements are so bad I just cheated and downloaded a completed save rather than try to tolerate them, because heck with it). And still others will have them be just sort of... there. Tacked on.

The ones that really get me though are the games that are way too easy but then stuff themselves full of those. Like, they dont feel like "achievements" if I can get them in my sleep. I have trouble paying attention whatsoever to easy games as it is, so... yeah.

On a side note, you've just reminded me that I have that Game Pass thing. Came with the PC, and then when I set it up... turns out my ancient Xbox account/gamertag from oh so long ago is still functional. I hadnt seen that in... well over a decade. Havent actually done anything with it yet though aside from brief browsing.

Sounds like you were creeping into obsessive/addictive/compulsive territory again. Glad to see you recognized it and got out. Personally, I can't get into games with higher and higher levels and awards. You can't put those into a trophy case. I prefer thinking games over action games. Zork, Colossal Cave Adventure, Minecraft, things like that. Seeking out the highest level just to get there without actually enjoying the game makes no sense to me, and causes my stress levels to go through the roof. The South Park episode Guitar Hero showed that quite well. Find games (or pull out old ones) that you enjoy, and forget about levels and awards. You will enjoy it more and finish more relaxed.

I'm not a gamer, but got hooked on Duolingo for a while. For those not familiar, it's a gamified language learning app. I got to diamond level, then disabled the function because keeping diamond would put too much pressure on me and detract from the reason I was actually using it for. But one could still earn points, and there was an unofficial league table, and I felt like I had to have a certain number of points per day, or I wasn't satisfied. If I was busy and wasn't able to get the points, it made me incredibly anxious. I realised that the app wasn't doing me any good - I was no longer enjoying it, so in the end I deleted it and my account.

Frankly, it took a game like SMT III Nocturne to remind me exactly how fun gaming should be. The whole experimenting with Magitama and demon skill builds offers me endless hours of entertainment here. I am playing without a guide, and I tell you beating Matador under those circumstances was very rewarding.

In all honesty I've never quite understood the drive to do all sorts of absurdly mundane or grindy tasks JUST for achievements. It's just... one of those things I cant grasp.

Like, I grew up with NES, SNES, and the ol' Atari 2600, and... yeah those didnt do any of that. There were no achievements for beating Dr. Wily without getting hit, or taking down Bowser with fireballs instead of grabbing the axe on the end of the bridge, but that didnt stop players from getting satisfaction from doing those anyway.

Granted, there are exceptions, sort of. Every now and then I'll find a game that uses achievements to add to the gameplay in some way, rather than just pad it out. Like, the main game I'm into right now, "The Void Rains Upon Her Heart" (what a mouthful) which is a sort of combination of boss-rush bullet-hell shmup and roguelike, has a lot of achievements. Like, A LOT of them. Looking it up, there are... 616 of them. I have about 480 of them right now.

Thing is though, none of them are tedious nonsense and they all have some gameplay function. Do one, and it unlocks something... maybe a new item, maybe a new boss to fight, and then those can appear in future runs. And the things you need to do to unlock them arent bloody stupid, but make sense within the context of everything. None of them are "hey good for you, you chose a character, wow!" or "do this thing that has .00000001% chance of happening in this specific situation". Being a bullet-hell game, there are a few achievements that are abnormally difficult, but those extra hard ones arent tied to content and there are only a couple of those. Overall it's a very good system and works to introduce content and mechanics over time instead of dumping too much on the player at once (as most games with roguelike elements do).

And then there are other games that might do things very differently. My favorite horror game I played this year was Lily's Well, very short, but I loved it. 20 achievements in that, and I did a very, very rare thing (for me) which was that I went after 100% of everything in one day. Most of the achievements in that game are gotten just as a matter of going through the story... the others are things you do that are optional, off to the side, but they add to the narrative/lore behind everything, and arent tedious. All told, it took 6 hours in total to do absolutely everything from start to finish. And none of the things to do in the game were at all irritating or stupid.

Honestly though I cant actually think of too many like those games. Most games I see that have achievements tend to handle them stupidly, or in some cases, outright intrusively (Binding of Isaac, for instance... absolutely adore that game but the unlocks are tied to achievements, and the achievements are so bad I just cheated and downloaded a completed save rather than try to tolerate them, because heck with it). And still others will have them be just sort of... there. Tacked on.

The ones that really get me though are the games that are way too easy but then stuff themselves full of those. Like, they dont feel like "achievements" if I can get them in my sleep. I have trouble paying attention whatsoever to easy games as it is, so... yeah.

On a side note, you've just reminded me that I have that Game Pass thing. Came with the PC, and then when I set it up... turns out my ancient Xbox account/gamertag from oh so long ago is still functional. I hadnt seen that in... well over a decade. Havent actually done anything with it yet though aside from brief browsing.
To be honest, I used to not care about achievements until I made some friends on TrueAchievements. I guess wanting to be amongst peers drew me into it.

New Threads

Top Bottom