• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am about to test a new med for autism

Could be. But there are already approved SSRIs on the market:

* Citalopram (Celexa)
* Escitalopram (Lexapro)
* Fluoxetine (Prozac)
* Paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
* Sertraline (Zoloft)
* Paxil CR

So far that's six different brands. What are the odds a seventh new brand might set the other six apart?

Isn't that 7 brands already (6 drugs)? If it's an SSRI it'd be likely one of those drugs/drug companies trying to find a new market, I've already stated that a new drug seems less likely than an existing drug. If a one of those brands could get an on-label use of making people on the spectrum more "social", well I imagine evil-drug-co stereotypes dream of things like that (all the while having their eye's bulge in the shape of dollar signs cartoon style) :eek::D

EDIT: just saw your edit, to clarify "marketing" was not a part of what I was thinking (drug companies can not advertise to the public where I'm from so marketing as you have in the US didn't even occur to me). My thinking was about off-label usage vs. on-label usage, and proving something has some effect vs. hypothesising it should... your average GP can prescribe say Zoloft for depression where I'm from but wouldn't dream of prescribing it for an off-label treatment for anything else.

Last edited:
If a one of those brands could get an on-label use of making people on the spectrum more "social", well I imagine evil-drug-co stereotypes dream of things like that (all the while having their eye's bulge in the shape of dollar signs cartoon style) :eek::D

Scroll up. You must have missed that I used to be one of those evil drug shareholders. ;)

I've been on both sides of that coin...er uh....drug.

Not sure you said that per se, at least in this thread, but it doesn't really change what either of us have said (and you likely realise this already but "evil" was said tongue in cheek). At some level we've been musing on similar things from different perspectives/directions I think.

Not sure you said that per se, at least in this thread, but it doesn't really change what either of us have said (and you likely realise this already but "evil" was said tongue in cheek). At some level we've been musing on similar things from different perspectives/directions I think.

I'm sure.

In the interim, this process projects a sense of hope. Not so much to patients, but to pacify existing shareholders and attract new ones on a quarterly basis. I used to be a shareholder of a major pharmaceutical company. Manufacturers love to publicize drug trials....push the promise of new products whether they make it to the market or not.

I'm also an investor...and hear disparaging comments about corporate entities quite regularly. Sometimes they're warranted, sometimes not. I'm an Aspie....not likely to sugar-coat things.

I wonder if this medication plays on inhibitions. In my opinion, "talkative" is a far cry from "social" and making a person more talkative may make them less social??? I know if I blabber too much people get bored.....

I don't see it as a "condition" per se. I see it as "a way of life". Sort of the same way I view my diet and exercise routine. :)
I am not wired wrong I am just wired different. I do medicate w\MMJ to alleviate social anxieties its just not as scary as all the quote legal Rx's those things really screw with brain and body.
I also do not believe I ever could have had the career I had using psychotropic drugs.

New Threads

Top Bottom