• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypersensitive to specific smells

odmo

Hi all, curious if anyone else shares a similar sensory response as me, and how they have learned to cope with it. There are several smells that I view as being incredibly dry. Some examples are kleenax tissues, dirt, wood, and air conditioning, but also seemingly unrelated things like the after-smell of a rainstorm (even though that is very wet!). There are countless others, all things that have a very standard 'dry' sense to them. Perhaps the strange one is wind, but maybe that is just caused by a mix of the surroundings and a sensory overload. Here is my difficulty, and has been my entire life. Whenever I smell this dryness, I cannot breathe. It absolutely hinders my ability to take in any air, as the dryness seems to block my ability to process any of the surrounding air. Incredibly hard to describe. I have to relax into taking sporadic breaths, learning the environment, and how I can regulate the dryness/breathing dynamic. If I am with others, and have to talk at the same time, this is an incredibly hard feat. It leads me to cutting off my words mid-speech, and playing a very difficult dance. I think this can be jarring for people to see, but I have also become tremendously good at hiding this whole thing. It is only after recently seeing someone professionally that I had thought anything of this, as I assumed it was the case for everyone. The only thing that I have been using to overcome the no-breathing-whatsoever is to completely accept the smell and learn the dry qualities to it. For example, forcing myself to breathe through a kleenax. However, while I can step into a regular breathing pattern, the dry quality never leaves, and the breathing is never comfortable.

I can kind of relate. I'm very sensitive to smell. Cologne is one thing that just drives me away and the smell of glue or paint actually irritate me. Even unlit scented candles can be overwhelming. Then I can't concentrate on anything else no matter how important that thing might be. Smell has its pros and cons. I can smell a truck coming from far away. Unfortunately, some smells nauseate me and make me feel physically ill. I think ice almost has a smell especially when freezer-burnt. I can smell people very easily. Just their natural musk. Some think its kinda creepy and I've been told I can smell things others cannot. But I think its kinda cool when it isn't a disadvantage.

I can kind of relate. I'm very sensitive to smell. Cologne is one thing that just drives me away and the smell of glue or paint actually irritate me. Even unlit scented candles can be overwhelming. Then I can't concentrate on anything else no matter how important that thing might be. Smell has its pros and cons. I can smell a truck coming from far away. Unfortunately, some smells nauseate me and make me feel physically ill. I think ice almost has a smell especially when freezer-burnt. I can smell people very easily. Just their natural musk. Some think its kinda creepy and I've been told I can smell things others cannot. But I think its kinda cool when it isn't a disadvantage.

Hi Cheryl, nice to meet you. Sounds like you are in a similar boat, very interesting! I also have a tremendously difficult time focusing on anything if I am around specific scents. Paint is one of the worst for me, completely takes my mind. I have received similar responses about smelling/breathing, probably because it is not something that most people ever think about. Now I usually just keep it to myself. Definitely agree that it is great when it's not hindering, as it certainly makes me aware of whatever situation I'm in. Thanks for sharing :)

New Threads

Top Bottom