• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypermobility and ASD

Are you autistic and hypermobile?

• ASD and hypermobile

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • ASD and no sign of hypermobility

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • ASD and unsure about hypermobility

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Hypermobile and neurotypical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hypermobile and neurodiverse / other, but not autistic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Here are a couple other tidbits about me which may or may not be related. I think I mentioned that I've had some significant falls in my lifetime. A couple of months after one fall down the stairs which sprained my ankles, my L5S1 spinal disc ruptured. I had 6 weeks bed rest and a whole lot of morphine to help me heal but I continue to have pain and stiffness from this injury three years ago. Maybe that's not really related, though I have never really understood why I fell. I blamed it on not paying attention.

Also, I strangely grew an inch in my early twenties although my height had been stable since age 13. Now, and I suspect due to the ruptured disc, I've lost an inch in height. I am beginning to imagine myself as both stretchy and squishy.

I have hypermobility and autism (amongst other things that are also co-morbid with autism).

I didn't know this was linked to autism though.

While I am very flexible, I also have issues with joint pain and one of my knees dislocating, this is really quite annoying, it always pops back in as I fall and it bends but it is not a particularly pleasant feeling ;)

There is a test people can do to establish if they are hypermobile here

I was under the impression that hypermobility is more common in women than men, although I can't tell you where I got that from now, might just be an assumption I made since you rarely see male contortionists... is this perhaps more common in women on the spectrum?

As an aside, I don't like the term double jointed... it doesn't make sense... you don't have two joints and I don't see how it would help if you did ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom