• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hyperflexibility?

Suzette

V.I.P Member
I just learned that many aspies are hyperflexibile and, especially as children, are (were) clumsy due to "poor muscle tone".

I had not heard of this before but some things about it I really relate to.

I have always been more flexible than most of my peers. As a child I could put my feet behind my head with ease and twist my limbs into pretzel like positions. Splits, back bends and walkovers all came naturally. I could also kiss the floor while sitting on the floor with my legs straight in front of me.

As an adult this flexability has lessened due to disuse snd arthritis but I can still put my palms on the floor while standing and link my hands behind my back even though I don't do yoga.

Regarding muscle tone, I am not sure I really understand what I read but I was slower than my peers (still am) and found it difficult to participate in sports like volley ball or basket ball.

I am curious if others can relate to this.

I've always been able to do that. I have never thought anything of it.
My whole family can. I actually tried an ehlers self assessment not long ago and I failed. The finger thing (I call it crab hands :)) wasn't part of the assessment. I can't do the second one.
20210805_063829.jpg

I'm actually the opposite. Although I was very uncoordinated and clumsy (still am), I'm not hyper flexible at all. I can't even sit cross-legged. I feel I have the lack of flexibility of a person thirty years older than my age.

I was flexible as a kid, used to freak the other kids out because I could flex my fingers all the way back and I could also wrap my legs around my head etc. I'm still a bit flexible but not like when I was little.

My hips did start getting really sore for a while, couldn't cross my legs, or flex them to even a normal degree, but exercise sorted that out and have normal range of motion in my hips again.

I just learned that many aspies are hyperflexibile and, especially as children, are (were) clumsy due to "poor muscle tone".

I had not heard of this before but some things about it I really relate to.

I have always been more flexible than most of my peers. As a child I could put my feet behind my head with ease and twist my limbs into pretzel like positions. Splits, back bends and walkovers all came naturally. I could also kiss the floor while sitting on the floor with my legs straight in front of me.

As an adult this flexability has lessened due to disuse snd arthritis but I can still put my palms on the floor while standing and link my hands behind my back even though I don't do yoga.

Regarding muscle tone, I am not sure I really understand what I read but I was slower than my peers (still am) and found it difficult to participate in sports like volley ball or basket ball.

I am curious if others can relate to this.
I have trouble with flexibility. I'm clumsy because I'm so in my head that I forget where my feet and arms and the furniture are.

I have trouble with flexibility. I'm clumsy because I'm so in my head that I forget where my feet and arms and the furniture are.

That actually Ehlers too, the vision thing where you miss judge where things are, it’s perceptual vision. I’ve fallen and busted my behind a lot because of this. Playing softball was embarrassing too due to this.

Not trying to DX you, just making a statement where that is also a symptom of Ehlers and there are last I saw 13 different kind, not all are flexible only the type 3. Type 4, well.....those ppl don’t live very long. It’s fun when your a kid and freaking your friends out, I still get a kick out of it but in all seriousness this isn’t a medical issue that needs to be ignored.

I’ve seen some young women, Like teen age not sure which type but they are living with a bag to use the bathroom because their stomach will not work. I’m lucky if I can eat once a day most all my meals are liquid because of digestion, it’s broken.

What I do know from another friend with it, is that some people it doesn’t kick in until something happens, like a death or bad marriage. Go figure, our bodies really are connected closely to our brains right?!

BINGO! @Suzette ;

Here is the info we found, you are correct there certainly is a connection. Link and part of the article below.
————————————————————-
Researchers have identified a relationship between Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and autism

“Recent research suggests that EDS may share strong links with autism. Case studies have previously been published identifying individuals who are both on the autism spectrum and have a diagnosis of EDS. In addition, a 2016 study performed in Sweden indicated that people with EDS are more likely to have a diagnosis of autism than individuals without the condition. Other research has also shown that autistic people have higher rates of joint hypermobility in general, a major feature of EDS.”

That actually Ehlers too, the vision thing where you miss judge where things are, it’s perceptual vision. I’ve fallen and busted my behind a lot because of this. Playing softball was embarrassing too due to this.

Not trying to DX you, just making a statement where that is also a symptom of Ehlers and there are last I saw 13 different kind, not all are flexible only the type 3. Type 4, well.....those ppl don’t live very long. It’s fun when your a kid and freaking your friends out, I still get a kick out of it but in all seriousness this isn’t a medical issue that needs to be ignored.

I’ve seen some young women, Like teen age not sure which type but they are living with a bag to use the bathroom because their stomach will not work. I’m lucky if I can eat once a day most all my meals are liquid because of digestion, it’s broken.

What I do know from another friend with it, is that some people it doesn’t kick in until something happens, like a death or bad marriage. Go figure, our bodies really are connected closely to our brains right?!
That is interesting - I do not know much about Ehlers. I do know that I have Hashimoto's Disease - which has nothing to do with my flexibility, it's just annoying in other ways. I think I have seen that people on the spectrum are more likely to have autoimmune disorders.

Have you ever tried closing your eyes ?do this when you're not really!stressed or really ! tired and walk through your home, you may change your muscle memory to help your visual memory of positions of furniture, blind people do that .

Have you ever tried closing your eyes ?do this when you're not really!stressed or really ! tired and walk through your home, you may change your muscle memory to help your visual memory of positions of furniture, blind people do that .
That is very interesting! I laughed out loud when I read this because I know I would end up flat on my face if I tried that!:D I am a bit clumsy, but I guess not as clumsy as I made that sound - I don't routinely bump things, but probably more than other people. But not enough that I think I actually have an issue - I usually have a good enough awareness, just a bit clumsy as a clumsy but otherwise regular person would be.

I have never heard of ehlers. I can't do weird bends, like the kinds older brothers do to gross out their sisters, but I've always been good at stretches and things.

Thank you Forest Gumpett, that is exactly what I was talking about. Ill have to explored eds further.
PS...I just "liked" everyones posts because I'm tired. Please feel free to rate yourselves "Winner" cause you know you are!

Yes, my left arm and hand in particular. It's like one of those rubber Ghandi dolls from the 80s. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom