• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hurt myself carrying that printer.

Joel's Hear

I'm here, at least for now
I needed a printer to print out some Greek song lyrics because it racks my MS to the point it feels like I'm being waterboarded to write things out with a pen. So I walked to the grocery store and saw the unit in the picture marked down from $170 to $80 and I was like, "SCORE!" It looked small enough to carry so I went and bought my groceries and came back and bought it.

Now, I'm a bit overconfident sometimes. But I wasn't at all as I lifted that sucker into my cart. So much heavier than it looks. And I have four kids so obviously I had a few groceries with me, though I was trying to go light. I don't have a car, of course. I live 1.4 miles from the store and walk both ways. But what am I going to do? Leave all my stuff? Call a cab? Too unsocial for a cab.

I did make it home, though--all 1.4 miles. And I have the printer. Not sure if I'll ever be the same, though. I've been sore since and feel somewhat like Gumby. But that's the smallest of my problems, so I thank God I at least can make light of the lesser of my miseries.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Look at the printer... Just sittin' there looking all smug like, thinking, "Yeah, I broke your back. What you gonna do?"

IMG-0007.jpg

So sorry you went through that. After those things happen to me, I always think of the "should haves" - I should have brought a cart, I should have asked a friend for help, I should have asked the store if they would deliver it.

But in the moment of getting something done, I never think to ask for help.

Edit: I botched my last line. It said "I think to ask", but should have said, "I never think to ask."

Last edited:
I have always thought of printers as particularly evil, ink eating, unreliable machines. But I did not realize that they were that bad. However, it does not surprise me. I once had a Kodak printer that made me so mad that took it to the firing range and reduced it to many, little pieces of plastic with a AK-47. However, it got me one last time, I had to clean up the mess.

How many bags of groceries did you carry...? (That's commitment!)

When I didn't have a car, I used
  • a bicycle trailer, or
  • a modified jogging stroller.
  • (There are some that can switch between the two. ;))

How many bags of groceries did you carry...? (That's commitment!)

When I didn't have a car, I used
  • a bicycle trailer, or
  • a modified jogging stroller.
  • (There are some that can switch between the two. ;))
That day I had eight or nine. After feeling the weight of the printer I left a half gallon of milk I had gotten. Just couldn't carry it. (I figured someone got it.)

I often have used a cart. I still have it, but it is slightly broken. We have been doing a lot of Instacart (where people shop for you and bring it to you) but because of the coronavirus in the region, it is real backed up. We're in a bit of a scary time.

I hope everyone else on here is doing well and dealing with what's going on well.

No question. Lifting a printer and carrying it for a distance can hurt you. Yes, best to use a wagon for such loads. Now paying for the ink it requires....that's even worse than being addicted to heroin!

Can't help but wonder if those "tank" printers will pay off for users with high amounts of ink and a high initial cost. Or if more likely it's just another gimmick where the manufacturers already got their "pound of flesh" at the point of sale rather than when consumers pay large amounts of ink for a relatively inexpensive printer. And whether or not all that ink in those large reservoirs dries up in time. And perhaps most of all, whether or not the print head will last to when one finally runs out of ink in a year or two.

HP Smart Tank Plus 551 Wireless All-in-One Review

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-...-inkjet-printer-white/6347458.p?skuId=6347458

The optics may appear different, yet I'm guessing the manufacturers have all this covered in their favor. And that of course, they win again against the consumers all over again. :oops:

Last edited:
And whether or not all that ink in those large reservoirs dries up in time.
I have an HP Envy 4500. (It is an all-in-one.) I stopped buying ink for that very reason. I would use it at tax time and it would dry up before my next use. Before Covid-19, I would just pay 15¢ per page at our local library.

At home, I mostly print to fax or PDF and attach to email.
Yes, best to use a wagon for such loads.
A wagon is good, too.

Last edited:
I have an HP Envy 4500. (It is an all-in-one.) I stopped buying ink for that very reason. I would use it at tax time and it would dry up before my next use. Before Covid-19, I would just pay 15¢ per page at our local library.

Yep. I have an HP Envy 5530 and the longest I can go with either ink cartridge is no more than 18 months or less tops. Otherwise the ink just evaporates with time. Expen$ive. Though it does produce high quality photos on photo paper.

Going to third party firms to print photos is far more economical. Except in my own case I like having total control over photos from clicking the shutter of my camera to outputting a print.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom