• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Humiliated for stimming

It is great to encounter another hair twiddler.

I had the habbit 'broken' when I was young. I've reverted now and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

Just recently I got a seasonal part time job selling picture frames at a mall kiosk. This is the first job I've had in a couple of years. Everything was going great until something disturbed me. I stim by twirling my hair. This morning an elderly man approached me and said "yeah! Twirl it! Twirl it!" because I was twirling my hair. I didn't think anyone would notice me doing it and the fact that the elderly man pointed it out and said "twirl it" in a creepy way was awkward. I felt humiliated. It was just super weird of him and it made me feel like a ditz. Anyone else been humiliated for stimming?
Oh gosh. Some people really get my last nerves! He didn't have to say anything at all. Whatever happened to the saying: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. People don't know what's going on with people, so they need to think before humiliating people. I used to twirl my hair a lot when I was younger and some people would try to get my to stop. Knowing what I know now, I can educate people about why I stim. If stimming isn't harming anyone, then other people should go about their business and leave others alone. I'll stim if I want to. I can come off harsh sometimes, but the reason is I've been through a lot and honestly have no problem putting others in their place.

Seconded that he's just an old creep.

I twirl my hair a fair bit and nobody has ever commented on it.

Except my loving, supportive parents of course. I really like to stroke certain fabrics and consider myself perfectly entitled to do so when relaxing in my own home. My parents feel otherwise.

New Threads

Top Bottom